Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Rich Hitchens aka BayBreeze/PotomacRvr

stormtracker

I have some sad news to report.

It appears as though Rich Hitchens has passed away.  He was a longtime forum member and one time staff member here.   He went under the screenname Bay Breeze and PotomacRvr.  He was a former hydrologist with the NWS Sterling.

This was posted on his fb page today:  

Rich passed away on October 12, 2014. There will be a small memorial service on October 25 at Immaculate Conception Cemetary in Elkton, MD

I wanted to confirm with the person who posted it, but she has not gotten back to me, but I seriously doubt this information is inaccurate or malicious.   

Rich was a friend to me and many others here and to  Americanwx.   He will be missed.  RIP Rich.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some sad news to report.

It appears as though Rich Hitchens has passed away.  He was a longtime forum member and one time staff member here.   He went under the screenname Bay Breeze and PotomacRvr.  He was a former hydrologist with the NWS Sterling.

This was posted on his fb page today:  

I wanted to confirm with the person who posted it, but she has not gotten back to me, but I seriously doubt this information is inaccurate or malicious.   

Rich was a friend to me and many others here and to  Americanwx.   He will be missed.  RIP Rich.

This is very sad news :(

Rich gave me a wonderful interview about droughts for my high school paper many years back. Always was a great resource to the forum (both here and back on Eastern). Thank you for passing this information along. 

Hope he is experiencing awesome weather where he is. 

Rich was a great guy and we became friends and kept in touch. He loved the SE Texas and the Houston area where he served as Lead Forecaster at NWS HGX. I'll have fond memories of him at Conference 1 and 2 and recall the last time we spoke a several weeks before Conference 3. RIP my friend.

I gotta tell ya, I'm legitimately bummed.  Like day ruined bummed.   

We fought like cats and dogs at times, but we had a real friendship.  I remember going to see him at the hospital in Gaithersburg some years ago and the delighted look he had on his face.  We sat for about an hour and some change.   

I'll miss you "Esther". 

Archived