Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discussion

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking mighty fine for Oct 18

Now I just have to figure out how to mask out initial snow-depth, apply to model run to get accumulated snowfall. GFS grids are course and the color scale skewed in this graphic. 

NAM better but especially ARW, NMM, HRRR, RAP close-ups have best graphics down to .01"    

Going to be a fun winter.

I've been to Fort Kent and Caribou...did some work when I was in college for the Maine Winter Sports Club branch up there as they host the World Cup Nordic races. They've got an awesome little ski area called Mars Hill up there too...great backcountry skiing.

Oh yes, absolutely, I drive right by Mars Hill ski area on my way up to Sinclair and St. Agatha. When I am coming through Mars Hill, Maine I know I have about an Hour to an Hour and 15 minutes left to my Drive. I will be heading up on December 26th if they have the Snow. Northern Aroostook is a Great area for any Outdoors activity...Fishing, Hunting, Skiing(crosscountry, downhill), Snowshoeing, ATV riding, Fabulous Snowmobiling area, and they take it(Snowmobiling) very very seriously up there in the "COUNTY." Brings in lots of Money. It's quite a PLACE.

talk about haves and have nots, check out percentage of normals, Norwood area FTL

http://www.weather.gov/nerfc/riverconds

I'm not kidding. The topsoil is wet, but it's still not quite boosting the water table yet. I mean it's not a big deal to have this in one season, but it's funny to see this local river, which caused so much flooding in 2010 , to basically stop flowing and now is a trickle.

If you think that is far(and it is), take a ride to Far Northern Maine(Northern Aroostook County), towns like Madawaska, Fort Kent, St. Agatha, Sinclair, Van Buren, St. Francis, Allagash. I Snowmobile there a few times a winter, and it's unbelievable how far away it is from Central CT. Takes me 10 hours when towing a trailer at 75 mph in dry weather. Hit snow on the way, and it's 12-14 hours easily!! 565-570 miles one WAY lol. Potato country at it's best. Hard to believe you're still in New England. Best Snowmobiling East of the Mississippi!! Northern Aroostook County Maine..."The Crown of Maine!"

And Cold as a Mother! Madawaska, ME is the most Northeastern point in the lower 48.

I ride that area every year, Use to stay in Ashland but now stay at Cross Lake

Archived