SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discussion

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah well pump the brakes on the NAM a tad, because it's the NAM. But the SREFs target cstl southern SNE right into SE MA.

While the GFS certainly doesn't have the Cape the NAM does it looks like it has 500 cape...I would think 750-1000 would be solid enough to generate a few watchable cells.

Climo says not so fast... But September and October can be interesting with relatively warm water to the south of SNE. 10/3/79 redux?

1. Interesting forecast for tomorrow & Wednesday morning. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or 2 feisty thunderstorms.

2. @ryanhanrahan I started with 6z GFS and it looks typical for OCT: great speed/lift with some MUCAPE.

3. @antmasiello All about getting those higher dew points inland. Will be interesting to see if other models trend toward NAM?

4. @ryanhanrahan just looked at NAM..wow! SBCAPE/theta-e advection is impressive!

5. @antmasiello Yeah - yikes. That's as good of a "look" as you'll see for a noturnal event around here.

@ryanhanrahan arguably a weird EML comes in overnight.

Ryan,

An EML comes in overnight? What models show that?

Not sure I would go there in the true spirit of an EML, but models do show decent lapse rates aloft advecting over the region early Wed.

i.e. a pocket of decent lapse rates, rather than a mixed layer advecting off the western high terrain.

If the NAM wasn't overdone, that would be a highly impressive pre-dawn setup for this part of the country in October. But still, as mentioned, the Euro has decent instability up here too. The 6z RGEM surges nearly 1,000 J/kg SBCAPE to the CT shoreline by 6z Wed. EHI values are elevated too from NYC into LI and coastal CT.

A loose match analog is October 28th, 1995. That event spun up a tornado on Staten Island and left sporadic wind damage up into southern New England. Even a compromise between the robust NAM and the less impressive GFS still yields a more volatile setup than 10/28/95.

Archived