SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ongoing Banter Thread

Carvers Gap

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted back in late November or early December that cold November's often lead to memorable winters in the area. It took a while for this one to get started, but it's definitely going to be memorable. I have no had 5 winter events that have fallen on top of snow/ice already in place. It snowed here 2 weeks ago Saturday, the major storm Monday, the clipper Wednesday, the major snow/ice Friday, 1 inch earlier this week, and the snow now. That's very very rare for here.

In addition to the two largest sleet storms I've seen in my life. It's also been now 15 or so inches of snow in 10 or so days.

Some how, some way, my wife and I managed to score two 3 day passes to the final Grateful Dead show in Chicago this summer!  We're freaking out over here.  Tried mail order, that was a 1 in 10 chance, and failed.  Today set a new Ticketmaster record, half a million people tried to get tickets, 1 in 15 shot.  We hammered the site with phones, tablets, computers and came out with a pair of passes.  We are incredibly thankful, gonna be an epic event!

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Still have about 1.5 inches of snow on the ground. If it can hang on 20 minutes and the snow comes Thursday, my streak of days of snow on the ground will make it well over 20 days, in late February and March. Not a very common thing here and one that will certainly make this winter memorable. The heavy sleet will also make this one stand out, as well as double digit sub-zero temps. 

I don't want to clog up the main thread.....but this guy drives me up a dang wall!!!! Pretty much all schools in the Knoxville area are playing it safe and delaying school start times by two hours. I don't understand why this "leader" (?) can't play it safe and make that call now for Knox County Schools???ffdc73bf9cb2a0bec6d39b03f99b39aa.jpg

They did cancel it early though...it came across my twitter feed around 5:30a....This is the last free day...so I understand wanting to hold on to it.

My main concern was wny not just delay for a few hours like all other school systems around Knox Co and wait and see what was going to happen.  If it fizzled out, then they still go to school and save their one remaining day.  And even if they did cancel, the state was/is going to forgive or allow three more days because it's been so atypical this year.  And making the call for a delay gives parents some time to scramble for child care, etc.   I've never been a big fan of the superintendent, but I also understand he has a tough call in situations like this, and he's not gonna make everyone happy.  Just puzzled as to his decision making process this time.  (stepping off soap-box now) 

I like it the way it is. I'm one of those nuts who tries to balance a regular full time job, kids and all the activities that go with them, church attendance, and the kicker - FARM WORK. Its no fun bottle feeding a calf in the dark twice a day. DST absolutely saves me in the spring and fall when the chores still need doing after little league practice or whatever the activity of the day is. In the winter things slow down a bit with the kids and farm work so its nice to be forced inside by the woodstove and slow down a bit.

Archived