• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Alaska 2014

Wonderful shots. Certainly rivals the most rugged areas of Colorado, and puts others to shame. What range(s) are these from? Looks like some great mountaineering to be had there.

The Chugach Range is the range closest to Anchorage. Most of my hiking is done there. There is one picture in there looking toward Denali and the Alaska Range. The pictures with the blue lake are from the Talkeetna Mountains. They are all very unique ranges. The Talkeetna Mtns are known for their technical mountaineering because they are hard, exposed granite. The rock in the Chugach is more crumbly sedimentary type rock not conducive to technical climbing. In terms of ruggedness, the Chugach and Talkeetna Ranges can get pretty extreme once you really get into the back country. The Chugach rises to 13,000+ feet, the Talkeetnas to 8800 feet, but one must remember they both start at near MSL. I think that is what makes most of the Alaska mountains so impressive...their rise above the local terrain is much more extreme than most of the Rockies. Once you get into the Alaska Range and Brooks Range, you are in total wilderness. Oh, and how could I forget the Wrangell Mtns which tower to over 16,000 feet. Next summer I plan to do a lot more in the Alaska Range and Wrangell Mountains.

Here is a picture of Marcus Baker (13,176 ft...the small white peak on the left is Marcus Baker peaking over the mountains in the foreground) from Pioneer Peak (6398 ft). Marcus Baker is an ultra-prominent. The Knik Glacier is seen winding down through the valley.

If you want to see some of the gnarliest mountains Alaska has to offer, check out on google the "revelation mountains alaska". They are a subrange of the Alaska Range. They are considered a mountaineers paradise.

post-999-0-79063500-1412637702_thumb.jpg

Great pics as always!  What were temps like up there?  The pics look very cold but the attire isn't too heavy. 

Thanks Icebreaker. Once again, none is my own ability, it is all Alaska.

I layered up because I sweat a lot when I am doing aerobic/anaerobic.  You really have to here because you may burn 1500 calories on a 4000 ft +ascent in 20 degree weather. You are going to sweat regardless. In that shot I was down to my base layer even though it was in the upper teens at the top.

you ever bring a board/skis and hit some backcountry bowls?

I haven't done much of that yet as I don't yet have good backcountry gear. It gets really spendy after you get decent skis, boots, and skins to ascend the mountains. Moreover, it is highly prudent that you take a good backcountry safety course that includes (or even does so separately) avalanche safety. One thing about living in a state like AK (or any mountain state with winter weather as well) is buying all the "essential" gear requires an exorbitant initial cost. Camping gear, hiking gear, backpacking, winter gear, biking gear, clothing and apparel, climbing gear (rock and/or ice), etc. is very very expensive if you don't own the basics already. Coming up here from the flat lands of Nebraska and North Dakota (with only a short stint in Salt Lake in between), I did not own much of it. I think I will have sufficient funds (and will have gathered enough of the other essentials) to delve into backcountry skiing next winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived