Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, MDT iirc had around 16" but I'm due NW and was dryslotted in about every storm. It's about the only time I can remember MDT ever having a higher winter total than myself. It was cold as balls though!

On Feb 13, 2014 we had 10.25" alone

edit- maybe you're thinking of 2011-12, my records show only 13.25"

I'd say judging by radar and Low pressure placement, this event is essentially over for the western 2/3rds of the state.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-09 at 7.31.25 AM.png

HRRR shows banding in the eastern 1/3rd, so these areas may still see accumulating snow through the day (in cold enough places anyway).

Certainly the part of it with the main slug of moisture lifting to our east and north into far eastern PA and upstate NY, but it remains to be seen how much backlash snows we get back into the central counties later tonight and tomorrow. Not that I'm overly excited about the prospects of it but I think there's the potential for some places in the central counties to at least see an inch or two. The European has generally been much more generous with how much precip was thrown back so we'll see what happens. Here was CTP's take this morning.

IT`S STILL UNCLEAR HOW MUCH TOTAL PRECIP WILL FALL FROM THIS

STORM AS THE MODELS DIFFER GREATLY ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF A

POSSIBLE DEFORMATION ZONE. THE SOLUTION FALLS BETWEEN THE ECMWF

THAT TARGETS MY NORTH-CENTRAL AND NWRN ZONES EVEN THROUGH WED

INTO THURSDAY...TO THE GFS THAT SHOWS ALMOST NO PRECIP WRAPPING

BACK. THE NAM AND SREF APPEAR LIKE FAIRLY GOOD

COMPROMISES...DISPLAYING A WELL-DEFINED DRY SLOT SURGING NORTH

THROUGH NJ AND FAR ERN PENN LATE TODAY INTO WEDNESDAY /WITH A

LARGE AREA OF DEFORMATION LIGHT-MDT SNOW ACROSS THE SUSQ VALLEY

AND SURROUND COUNTIES/. PAINTED A GENERAL 1-3 INCHES IN FOR THE

CENTRAL AND NRN MTNS TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

MAINTAINED HIGH CHANCE TO LIKELY POPS FOR MAINLY LIGHT QPF WEDNESDAY

AND THURSDAY...BEFORE TAPERING OFF THE ACTIVITY FOR THE REMAINDER

OF THE WEEK.

LATER SHIFTS WILL ALSO HAVE TO CONSIDER WINTER WEATHER OR LES ADVISORIES

FOR BOTH THE SYNOPTIC DEFORMATION SNOWS ACROSS PORTIONS OF

CENTRAL PENN TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...AND LAKE

EFFECT/OROGRAPHICALLY ENHANCED SNOWS ACROSS THE NW MTNS AND LAUREL

HIGHLANDS IN THE BROAD/DEEP AND MOIST CYCLONIC FLOW JUST TO THE

WEST OF THE NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER LOW.

Certainly the part of it with the main slug of moisture lifting to our east and north into far eastern PA and upstate NY, but it remains to be seen how much backlash snows we get back into the central counties later tonight and tomorrow. Not that I'm overly excited about the prospects of it but I think there's the potential for some places in the central counties to at least see an inch or two. The European has generally been much more generous with how much precip was thrown back so we'll see what happens. Here was CTP's take this morning.

Exactly. This was always our best chance for snow, IMO, out here. Still probably not more than an inch or two, as you say, though.

Yes, MDT iirc had around 16" but I'm due NW and was dryslotted in about every storm. It's about the only time I can remember MDT ever having a higher winter total than myself. It was cold as balls though!

You surely must be talking about '12-13, MDT had 43" last season. 

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/features/snowmaps/index.php?tab=norms

Out of curiosity found this CTP snow map, looks like a local minimum in your area. It's also a reminder of how York/Lancaster area did so damn well...

http://www.weather.gov/images/ctp/features/season_snow2013-2014a.png

Out of curiosity found this CTP snow map, looks like a local minimum in your area. It's also a reminder of how York/Lancaster area did so damn well...

http://www.weather.gov/images/ctp/features/season_snow2013-2014a.png

Thanks for sharing! Their official total of 68 is almost on top of my house. I seldom find official totals for my general spot in the boonies. Living in the forest on a very high hilltop has its advantages, but news coverage and snow reporting isn't one of them. That map reinforces how exceptionally crazy last winter was in this micro snow belt.

Archived