SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised they didn't add a weenie 8-12" for southern York where the Himalayas are apparently located for our region  ;)

JK of course. Doesn't look too bad

We hillbillies are used to being ignored by the big city folk.  What doesn't ignore the hills is snow.  This should be another fun one to watch unfold!

I was a little surprised at the expanse of the winter storm watch region from CTP but they are likely covering their bases given the impact potential with Wednesday being one of the busiest travel days of the year. Still some uncertainty on the exact track and heavy snow axis.  I do like the Euros precip extent with a storm like this, but did notice it seemed a bit lighter today. What may end up happening is a fairly wide area of advisory snows in the eastern half to two thirds of PA but a relatively thin zone of warning type snows.

Also, regarding the track, CTP had this to say in yesterday afternoons long range AFD:

THE 12Z ECMWF AND IT`S ENSEMBLE ARE VERY SIMILAR HUGGING THE SFC

LOW ALONG THE SHORELINE...WHILE US/CANADIAN MODELS AND THEIR
ENSEMBLES ARE FURTHER EAST BY 100-200 NM. EXPERIENCE SHOWS THAT
THE LACK OF A SIGNIFICANT BLOCKING HIGH TO OUR NORTH OR
NORTHEAST...FAVORS A MORE WESTERN TRACK /SIMILAR TO THE EC AND ITS
ENSEMBLE/. 

And here's an excerpt of today's AFD for posterity:

FORECAST CONFIDENCE IN DEVELOPMENT OF THIS LOW REMAINS

VERY HIGH...WITH FAIR AMOUNT OF UNCERTAINTY PERSISTING IN EXACT
TRACK OF THE LOW WHICH WILL IMPACT ASSOCIATED SNOW/RAIN AMOUNTS.
THE TAKEAWAY FROM THE 12Z MODEL SUITE IS THAT THE WESTWARD DRIFT
OF THE TRACK EVIDENT IN DATA OVER THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS HAS
STOPPED...WITH ECMWF CONTINUING TO FORECAST THE TRACK WEST OF THE
GFS/GEFS.
VARIATIONS IN QPF FIELDS CONTINUE...BUT SETTLING IN ON
AROUND A QUARTER INCH FROM KJST-KIPT TO CLOSER TO 0.75 IN THE
LOWER SUSQ VALLEY.

Did they? I'm on the CTP site right now and it looks about the same to me...

Look the same to me.

No changes til after the 0z guidance IMO. 18z was pat the course, no changes really to mention.

Well...they're up to their old tricks again, I see.  I just went back to the top of this page that has 2 posts of the snow map and they are back to the way they were originally.  I don't think I'm losing my mind, but you never know.  I'm pretty sure many past storms had this same thing keep occurring.  Up-down-up-down...etc.  Even the point-and-click forecasts have been known to wobble back and forth over very short time intervals.  Well, then, I guess it is still "Game On"...lol.

FYI---Zac posted his map and has most of the lower susq valley and heading northeast from here in the 6-8" band also.

Well...they're up to their old tricks again, I see.  I just went back to the top of this page that has 2 posts of the snow map and they are back to the way they were originally.  I don't think I'm losing my mind, but you never know.  I'm pretty sure many past storms had this same thing keep occurring.  Up-down-up-down...etc.  Even the point-and-click forecasts have been known to wobble back and forth over very short time intervals.  Well, then, I guess it is still "Game On"...lol.

FYI---Zac posted his map and has most of the lower susq valley and heading northeast from here in the 6-8" band also.

Oh, I agree it happens.

We HAVE to get to Carlisle Thursday, I have to cut/haul wood for my wife's grandmother. Should be interesting.

Tonight I loaded the gravel, ice scrapers, brushes and shovel in the Rav4 for the winter! Remember all to get your winter kits in your car. It can save your life.

Archived