SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall thread for the mountains

Met1985

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro and the GFS both look very impressive with next weeks storm system cutting off and working its way Eastward. This looks to be a major wind event and a decent amount of rainfall especially for the southern APPS. Also once this cutoff moves over us then we will cool down quite a bit. I think we will see some classic dreary cool fall days coming up.

The Euro looks very impressive with the cutoff low forming and moving East. After the cutoff moves through then we get an amplified pattern coming down the road in the next week or two with a recurving typhoon helping the AO and the NAO tank. This I think will keep the East unsettled and our temps below average.

Got back from  a weekend trip to the Smoky's. The weather ended up being quite a mix. But today was very interesting.

I have an app on my S4 phone that uses the built in ambient air temp sensor to monitor that, humidity, pressure, etc. We were headed back toward Atlanta and decided to make one last trip up the road to Clingman's Dome. 

I knew the temp the sensor measures was very sensitive to temperature of whatever may come in contact or close proximity to it. So... I held it out the window for the entire trip up the road, holding the phone by the edges. :-) 

Starting at the bottom of the road the temperature was about 56 degrees, it was foggy and breezy. The temp stayed pretty close to that with some small variations for maybe 3-4 miles into the 7 mile ride, with a little fog off and on. But all of a sudden, the visibility went to zero and the temperature plummeted. I recorded a low of 41.8F around 12:30pm with the phone. It stayed like that for about the next mile (just guessing) until I got close to the top at the parking lot, where the temp went back up to 58-59 degrees. I was pretty shocked at the difference in that short distance. 

Steve I believe it. I am glad NASA decided to do some studies here in the Appalachians because the weather from temps to humidity to type of precipitation can vary in such a short distance especially when adding in elevation to the mix. We have some of the most unique localized climates around here in the world I believe because of the Appalachians and were we are in the SE.

24 hour rain totals are up to about 4" near the Highlands area and parts of Jackson County.

http://water.weather.gov/afws/county.php?state=NC&county=099

http://water.weather.gov/afws/county.php?state=NC&county=113

Mountains tops are getting nailed with sustained gale force winds today.

Now as much as 6 inches has fallen...escarpment areas really got nailed.

I thought it was very interesting when I came through the Gorge this morning around 2am that it poured the rain the entire time I drove through and then was completely dry when I came out. Then I looked at the radar and there was just a strong southerly stream through the Balsams and Gorge but nowhere else. In fact it didn't start rain imby untill around 6am. The orographic lift with southerly flows is amazing in the SW part of WNC.

We finished up with 1.93 for just yesterday and going back through Monday, closer to 2.5 inches...

The severe weather aspect of this storm was important in that it totally threw out our usual mindset that...

No CAPE means No Severe...

Well, that was far from the case yesterday because the slightest convective elements brought down 60 mph winds. Looking back at the radar data, we had 60kt winds as low as 2-3k ft off the ground and 80 kt winds just above 850mb. Yesterday kinda had that feel of past landfalling tropical systems that have impacted the SoApps Region.

So...contrary to the belief of some people from the Carolinas, the models handled this storm solidly...

Another beautiful fall day with highs in the 50s with a current temp of 46 degrees. Nest week looks very interesting with both the GFS and the Euro modeling a significant cutoff low just rotating for day that would bring dreary below normal temps and may just maybe some high elevation snow. That's a big if but we usually have some flakes in October and this year may be no different.

Archived