• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall thread for the mountains

Met1985

Phew glad I decided to finish my calculus homework this am and not try to get the sunrise. I was worried about cloud cover. I am headed up tonight for the sunset at Blue Ridge Pinnacle and then tomorrow morning I hope to catch a frost covered sunrise sunday morning on Beacon Heights. It will be brutal and I am going to wear full on winter gear to get the shot, but I think it will be worth it if we can get some clearing to the southeast overnight. I will have my windmate with me tonight and tomorrow so I should be able to provide a few obs while my camera is firing.

It's always a good decision to finish your calculus homework.  Priorities, my man.  Priorities.  :D

High today of 64.6 F.  At midnight.  It's 61.3 F outside right now with a stiff breeze.  How low can we go tonight?  I'm hoping for mid-30s, 35-37 F.  GSP is forecasting 38 F for MBY, but I'm often a degree or two cooler being on the outskirts of town.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minimum of 20.7 degrees F at Mount Mitchell and appears they saw a few hours of flurries/snow showers with accumulated precipitation near 0.1 inch with temps below 30 F. Still 28.8 F as of 2:45 PM.

Btw how do you paste in a screenshot? I tried the paste and paste from word buttons.

Very cool Mount Mitchell saw some flakes today and also not sure how to paste a screenshot. Might ask someone in the banter thread.

Very cool Hvward. Temp is down to 41 degrees. Just a slow drop with the breeze up. Wish this weather would stay for the duration of the month.

Thanks man, I was having to do jumping jacks as my camera finished the sunset.  The wind is just relentless on the top of the peaks in the Blue Ridge.  With no friction to divert, it is nonstop ha.  Neat to see Mt. Mitchell get some flakes.  Makes me feel a little better about thinking the high mountains would see flakes hahaha.

Thanks man, I was having to do jumping jacks as my camera finished the sunset.  The wind is just relentless on the top of the peaks in the Blue Ridge.  With no friction to divert, it is nonstop ha.  Neat to see Mt. Mitchell get some flakes.  Makes me feel a little better about thinking the high mountains would see flakes hahaha.

Lol ya I bet it was real cold up there. Wind chills probably be in the low 20s with that wind.

Thanks man, I was having to do jumping jacks as my camera finished the sunset. The wind is just relentless on the top of the peaks in the Blue Ridge. With no friction to divert, it is nonstop ha. Neat to see Mt. Mitchell get some flakes. Makes me feel a little better about thinking the high mountains would see flakes hahaha.

Can't find any reports of snow. Mt Mitchell state park only reported fog. Nothing at Beech or LeConte. I did see snow on Webcam in Wv as expected. Will have to keep an out if some other reports trickle in but very unlikely. I believe the temp on my mtn top dropped into the low 20s as usually the same as Mt Mitchell. No snow where I'm at in Michigan but lots of graupel showers which was neat. Some did accumulate in the U.P.

Can't find any reports of snow. Mt Mitchell state park only reported fog. Nothing at Beech or LeConte. I did see snow on Webcam in Wv as expected. Will have to keep an out if some other reports trickle in but very unlikely. I believe the temp on my mtn top dropped into the low 20s as usually the same as Mt Mitchell. No snow where I'm at in Michigan but lots of graupel showers which was neat. Some did accumulate in the U.P.

We will know this morning from the blog post about what happened on Leconte. Hoar frost, sure. It could have even dropped below 20F this morning. However I somehow doubt they got any snow. I wouldn't mind being shown wrong about the snow part.

Also, I can see Leconte and Clingman's Dome from my house pretty clearly on some days - and yesterday was no exception. I saw no 'white' anywhere indicating snow just before sunset.

Bottomed out at 32.6 here this morning.  Frost all over the place, looks like a winter wonderland.  Was a little surprised to see Boone only make it down to 36 this morning.  The wind must not have laid down overnight there.  So that is pretty remarkable Met that you got all the way down to 26 this morning with the High Country only reaching 36.  Wind must have laid down for your area.

Bottomed out at 32.6 here this morning.  Frost all over the place, looks like a winter wonderland.  Was a little surprised to see Boone only make it down to 36 this morning.  The wind must not have laid down overnight there.  So that is pretty remarkable Met that you got all the way down to 26 this morning with the High Country only reaching 36.  Wind must have laid down for your area.

I was not so sure we would drop down that low but when I went to bed last night at about 11 the wind had died down and the temp dropped like a rock. I remember in about an hour it dropped from like 41 to 36 degrees. This morning everything was so still and calm. It looked like it had snowed here. The frost was so thick. This should really get the colors changing, Boone must have stayed breezy all night. We set back in a holler on the side of a mountain so we radiate real good but we do horrible in CAD situations.

According to the Leconte Blog, there were flurries yesterday on Leconte, but no accumulation.

Cool! Thanks for finding that!  I know the previous daily post didn't indicate anything. They usually get something early in the season even before Mt. Mitchell.

FYI..as I mentioned previously in a prior post discussing the likely possibility that I would be selling my moutain top property; well a final decision has been made-it is for sale! :)

Anyone here who is interested in owning the highest improved building lot in Eastern North American at a stunning 6130 feet complete with a weather watching observation tower please PM me for details.(Price $349K for 8.3 acres)  It is hard to imagine a better property for a weather weenie than this place! :)  I will be sad to see it go but there are of course other mountains tops, other interesting weather locations calling my name. When I get a chance, will post an ad on the Forsalebyowner site. 

FYI..as I mentioned previously in a prior post discussing the likely possibility that I would be selling my moutain top property; well a final decision has been made-it is for sale! :)

Anyone here who is interested in owning the highest improved building lot in Eastern North American at a stunning 6130 feet complete with a weather watching observation tower please PM me for details.(Price $349K for 8.3 acres)  It is hard to imagine a better property for a weather weenie than this place! :)  I will be sad to see it go but there are of course other mountains tops, other interesting weather locations calling my name. When I get a chance, will post an ad on the Forsalebyowner site. 

I wish I could afford that. Maybe if I got a 60 year mortgage. I'm curious where it is though so feel free to PM me. How in the world did you land that one?

I wish I could afford that. Maybe if I got a 60 year mortgage. I'm curious where it is though so feel free to PM me. How in the world did you land that one?

Above the town of Balsam on Mt Lyn Lowry. I looked for a place like this for years. There is a real estate website locally that you can sort by elevation which greatly simplified the process. This property was previously listed at one million dollars during the height of the last real estate boom. There are several interested parties that approached me about it despite not being for sale in the last year that I will follow up on. I know the Conservation Trust of NC would want it but very unlikely they would offer a decent price. I will have a link to more info tomorrow.

Above the town of Balsam on Mt Lyn Lowry. I looked for a place like this for years. There is a real estate website locally that you can sort by elevation which greatly simplified the process. This property was previously listed at one million dollars during the height of the last real estate boom. There are several interested parties that approached me about it despite not being for sale in the last year that I will follow up on. I know the Conservation Trust of NC would want it but very unlikely they would offer a decent price. I will have a link to more info tomorrow.

Very cool Mike. Did you get the property you were looking at?

Great morning in the mountains, just had to get out and enjoy it. Went up to Cataloochee to see the Elk for the first time, it was a very chilly 27 degrees in the valley! I had a great time and plan on going back, it also got down to 34 back home in Old Fort. Loving the first taste of winter. 

As promised here is the listing to the weather wennie's dream property!  :sled:

http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/Acreage-Land-for-sale-by-owner-Distant-Ridge-Road-28779/24008765

Not to mention the additional cost of having to build a house there, and buying a permanent 4x4, and finding a way to get electricity and other utilities up there. But it would be an amazing place to live.

I looked at the blog. Where can I look at the station data?

Not to mention the additional cost of having to build a house there, and buying a permanent 4x4, and finding a way to get electricity and other utilities up there. But it would be an amazing place to live.

I looked at the blog. Where can I look at the station data?

Oh..and by the way Jackson County requires that a home built there would be required to withstand 120 mph winds. :)

This link gives you daily rainfall data for the site. Unfortunately, NASA is pulling the plug on October 17.

http://wallops-prf.gsfc.nasa.gov/Field_Campaigns/IPHEx/Gauge/index.html    

Anything less than a solid granite rock built home similar to what is present on Grandfather mountain would be risky! :)

Sounds like a nice concrete bunker with bulletproof glass would be fun up there - as well as fighting the vegetation that will be constantly creeping in on you up there. I also doubt you have much of a growing season for any vegetables beyond potatoes.

Archived