Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For MVL the MET/MAV is 23/30F... pretty big difference lol.  23F is like no contest everything is frozen solid, 30F is still freeze but not quite to the same level.

Ugh 23F would harm fall foliage. You don't want a hard freeze when everything is still green. Makes them go brown quicker.

Ugh 23F would harm fall foliage. You don't want a hard freeze when everything is still green. Makes them go brown quicker.

Yeah...I'm still not seeing much change. I'm wondering if the quick flip from like 80s/60s to 50s/30s wasn't the most ideal, especially with the amount of clouds in the past week. If it's a shock to us to go from AC to heat from one week to the next, I'm sure the environment also gets a bit of a shock. A real hard freeze would not be ideal now.

We need a week of high pressure with no clouds.

Yeah...I'm still not seeing much change. I'm wondering if the quick flip from like 80s/60s to 50s/30s wasn't the most ideal, especially with the amount of clouds in the past week. If it's a shock to us to go from AC to heat from one week to the next, I'm sure the environment also gets a bit of a shock. A real hard freeze would not be ideal now.

We need a week of high pressure with no clouds.

Have you had a lot of clouds there this fall?

You don't want clouds during the transition time...you want sunny days and cold, crisp nights (but no hard freezes, like light frosts or temps around 40).

A hard freeze will not be good for the foliage if it happens in the valleys up there.

You don't want clouds during the transition time...you want sunny days and cold, crisp nights (but no hard freezes, like light frosts or temps around 40).

A hard freeze will not be good for the foliage if it happens in the valleys up there.

Yeah we've had a lot of stratus unfortunately. The next week looks better with sun and cool nights/warm days. Hopefully the freeze isn't too bad tonight.

Yeah it seems in recent years we've had that like 7-14 day dry period in September of high pressure and high diurnal ranges and clear skies.  Haven't had anything close to that this year.  I've been up here long enough to know that the leaves are obviously going to still change, and it'll still look stunning for a couple of days, but the peak may be muted in length.  It may be a short duration change, of an already short foliage season compared to spots south in the mid-Atlantic. 

What I really like is the couple week lead up to "peak" when its sunny and you can watch the leaves advance almost daily...the photography options are still plentiful.  Right now its just not there.  I haven't felt the desire to take out the camera at all yet and its now September 18th, even up on the mountain.  Although peak is almost always about two weeks away in early October, by Columbus Day its usually past.

Yeah we've had a lot of stratus unfortunately. The next week looks better with sun and cool nights/warm days. Hopefully the freeze isn't too bad tonight.

The winter-lover in me wants it to be like 27F tomorrow morning with ice in the bird bath, lol, but I wouldn't shed a tear if we stayed like 33-34F with fog for the foliage season.  My guess here would be a foggy 31-32F.  With 28-31F just above the fog layer in that 900-1200ft range (still low enough elevation to avoid any light breezes). 

I've seen a lot of fall cold nights early in the season where I'm right at freezing with like 1/8sm fog (similar to MVL) with a frost and borderline freeze...while just up Mountain Road you come out of the fog at like Edson Hill Rd (say 850-900ft) and then its just glistening hard freeze, cars frozen solid, etc.  Lastly the frost/freeze disappears as you head up past 1,200ft towards the base of the ski resort where a light drainage wind kept them at 33-35F up near the office.

Temperature departures for MBY--

SEPT     1-6...+7.0

SEPT   7-11...-3.6

SEPT 12-17...-8.4

Month-to-date...-1.6

Not quite as drastic as MVL, but both places have normals that drop considerably thru the month.  Actual temps here for the three periods:

SEPT     1-6...67.6

SEPT   7-11...54.9

SEPT 12-17...47.8

Haha same here, it thinks we'll be 56/16 tomorrow afternoon.

MET for MVL is 26F, and MAV is 27F. Pretty consistent.

Both have BTV with a freeze...30/31 respectively.

I don't think I'll touch 32F tonight...I see my min ending up around 34-35F. CON will probably have 3 straight hours of 34F, but pull off an in-between min of 32F or something.

55/47 with a 10-15mph NNW wind right now. 12Z MAV has 19F for SLK. :lol:

I don't think I'll touch 32F tonight...I see my min ending up around 34-35F. CON will probably have 3 straight hours of 34F, but pull off an in-between min of 32F or something.

55/47 with a 10-15mph NNW wind right now. 12Z MAV has 19F for SLK. :lol:

48/36 up here, so better chance of getting down to freezing. Eastern areas may do better tomorrow night?

Archived