Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is doing the old back and forth in Winooski as well between rain and snow. as for the photos the main things were exposure adjustments to avoid the 15% grey with snow, and sharpness to bring out the flakes more. In the valley shots the main thing was an exposure adjustment on the sky to bring out definition in the clouds.

Been getting the first legit -SNobs out of MVL ASOS this season...though at 4sm vis it's definitely a much lighter snow than here at the mountain where vis has dropped below a mile a few times in the past couple hours.

METAR KMVL 071754Z AUTO 34010G20KT 4SM -SN BR BKN027 OVC032 02/00 A2962 RMK AO2 SLP037 P0000 60000 T00170000 10022 20017 53007

I am reporting from the White Mountains today :) Nothing on the ground at the Crawford Path trailhead (~2,000' elevation) above Crawford Notch at 6:30 this morning, with drizzle and a few flakes mixed in. At maybe 2,500' I started seeing snow in the trees and ground cover, and it only increased from there. Above treeline visibility was perhaps 300 feet and winds were gusting to about 25 mph or so, and though I was headed into the direction of the wind I decided to forge ahead to Mt Eisenhower. There was 4" of snow I would guess, and it camouflaged ice floes very well - after a few slips on my rear I pulled out the microspikes. A nice two-season hike ... always heart those. Oh, and on the return it was snowing to beat the band at the trailhead. I went to the scenic turnoff at the top of the notch and snapped the last pic attached here. Fun day :)

post-254-0-93072600-1415383489_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-39740900-1415383534_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-55947300-1415383575_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-04456700-1415383614_thumb.jpg

I am reporting from the White Mountains today :) Nothing on the ground at the Crawford Path trailhead (~2,000' elevation) above Crawford Notch at 6:30 this morning, with drizzle and a few flakes mixed in. At maybe 2,500' I started seeing snow in the trees and ground cover, and it only increased from there. Above treeline visibility was perhaps 300 feet and winds were gusting to about 25 mph or so, and though I was headed into the direction of the wind I decided to forge ahead to Mt Eisenhower. There was 4" of snow I would guess, and it camouflaged ice floes very well - after a few slips on my rear I pulled out the microspikes. A nice two-season hike ... always heart those. Oh, and on the return it was snowing to beat the band at the trailhead. I went to the scenic turnoff at the top of the notch and snapped the last pic attached here. Fun day :)

attachicon.gif2014-11-07 12.58.20.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-11-07 13.00.05.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-11-07 13.00.49.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-11-07 13.01.55.jpg

Nice E

Some decent looking wrap around snow over Northern Maine right now on radar with some areas pushing 6"+

000NOUS41 KCAR 071806PNSCARMEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-080606-PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTSPOTTER REPORTSNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME106 PM EST FRI NOV 07 2014THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATIONIS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOPOBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS...FACEBOOK FANS...AND MEDIA FOR THESEREPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE ATWEATHER.GOV/CARIBOU********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS                     SNOWFALL           OF                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENTMAINE...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...   MAPLETON               5.5  1140 AM 11/07   PRESQUE ISLE 1 ENE     5.0  1013 AM 11/07   OXBOW                  4.0  1115 AM 11/07   CASTLE HILL            4.0  1100 AM 11/07   WESTFIELD              3.5  1045 AM 11/07   CONNOR                 3.5  1150 AM 11/07   FORT KENT              3.5  1030 AM 11/07   EASTON                 3.0   933 AM 11/07   PRESQUE ISLE           3.0   900 AM 11/07   CARIBOU 1 N            2.9   102 PM 11/07   ASHLAND                2.5  1045 AM 11/07   PERHAM                 2.0  1045 AM 11/07   LIMESTONE              2.0  1030 AM 11/07   FORT FAIRFIELD 2 NE    1.5   104 PM 11/07$$MBH

Way to live life to the fullest Jay!  Sounds like a great day.

Back from the mountain... definitely snowed all day with some minor accumulations, but now there are traces of accumulating snow down to around 800ft in town (like roof-tops and such, but non-measurable).  Roads were starting to take on snow cover above 1,300ft or so.

There was about 4" above 3,000ft.

I'll have some pics in a little while..the skiing was actually great.  A few inches on top of the snowmaking base...dry cold powder, blowing and drifting snow, full on winter.

With the CAA and the warm lake waters, you can see some lake enhancement going on around BTV area.  They've actually picked up almost 0.20" of additional liquid today, and I'm sure that lake enhancement and blocked flow is having something to do with it.  Over here I've only got like 0.05" additional today.

November_10th_lake_enhancement_zpsx9tspm

With the CAA and the warm lake waters, you can see some lake enhancement going on around BTV area.  They've actually picked up almost 0.20" of additional liquid today, and I'm sure that lake enhancement and blocked flow is having something to do with it.  Over here I've only got like 0.05" additional today.

November_10th_lake_enhancement_zpsx9tspm

i was definitely noticing that this afternoon driving from Winooski back to Williston for dinner at my parent's house. It is very mixed but certainly more snow in the heavier bursts (rate driven at this low elevation). You can also see the convective band look in the sky.

Ski area snow totals in VT...looks like MRG/SB area was the max.  Sugarbush posted a photo of a ruler and 5.75" of snow but their site says 6-8".  Either way, around a half foot seems to be about right as the higher QPF values were in central VT in this morning's hydro reports.

Jay Peak...2"

Stowe...4"

MRG...6"

Sugarbush...8"

Killington...3"

They may have had 8 at the summit or close to it and rounded the 5.75 to 6 from a measurement farther down.

Yeah they would've been in the sweet spot.  They are one of the few resorts in north/central VT that doesn't allow pre-season traffic so reports are hard to come by from friends and others. 

ASOS broken? I was wondering with that steady precip if it was snowing there but just saw -RN obs all day.

Wasn't at work so i can't say for certain, but i was in south Burlington and williston all afternoon and there were definitely flakes in with the rain.

Wasn't at work so i can't say for certain, but i was in south Burlington and williston all afternoon and there were definitely flakes.

If you read the raw observations,there's a lot of snow began snow ended, and occasional snow showers typed in. Seems that at ob time though it was more rain than snow though haha.

Archived