Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went up Mansfield...accums start at 1800ft on the leaves and elevated logs, stuff like that, above 2,500ft there's 1/2-1"...certainly no more than an inch but a solid coating. Freezing rain iced up the trees too above 3000ft.

Snowflakes making it all the way to 1500ft but not sticking. Nice to see it snowing. Pics coming in a bit.

Just went up Mansfield...accums start at 1800ft on the leaves and elevated logs, stuff like that, above 2,500ft there's 1/2-1"...certainly no more than an inch but a solid coating. Freezing rain iced up the trees too above 3000ft.

Snowflakes making it all the way to 1500ft but not sticking. Nice to see it snowing. Pics coming in a bit.

Looks like deeper surge of lift and RH helping a bit. Probably crappy flakes, but flakes nonetheless.

I will post pics soon but just got back from a quick trip to Bolton and yes indeed it looked like about 1/4 inch scattered on colder surfaces and probably a little more at the summit (but it was obscured by clouds/snow). It was certainly not fluffly dendrites but more like needles, pellets, and graupel mixed in for good measure. When the rates slowed you had rain in there as well. 2,000 ft was about the lowest elevation where anything was on the ground. On the way back a heavier shower even had graupel mixed in on I-89 near Richmond.

Just straight graupel now even below 1,000ft...first trace of frozen precip at home this season. When it's light it's sprinkles but any briefly heavier burst goes over to ice chunks. Lots of folks calling it sleet, but pretty sure it's graupel.

Definitely graupel from what I saw on the way home.

Definitely graupel from what I saw on the way home.

Yeah, I feel like this is pretty spot-on normal for our first day with a trace of frozen even under 1,000ft...almost always our first frozen is some NW flow CAA graupel showers in the valley and snow on the mountain. Pretty routine to get that first true graupel shower around the third week of October.

Yeah, I feel like this is pretty spot-on normal for our first day with a trace of frozen even under 1,000ft...almost always our first frozen is some NW flow CAA graupel showers in the valley and snow on the mountain. Pretty routine to get that first true graupel shower around the third week of October.

It was definitely good to see frozen precip again for sure, especially after the late season warmth.

We just documented our first frozen precipitation and accumulation of the season down here at 500’ in the valley.  It started pouring out a few minutes ago as one of those bursts of precipitation came through in the northwest flow – you can see those yellow 28 db returns that disappear as the pulse of moisture barrels into the mountains:

19OCT14B.gif

Hearing the racket of the heavy precipitation outside, I decided to check out on the back deck because I know how these things sometimes go – indeed there was frozen precipitation among the rain, in the form of sleet and other dense granules that can typically make it down through the warmer layers of the atmosphere.  I don’t even have my snowboard set up yet, but our picnic table out back sufficed to catch the accumulation.  Seasonally, the timing of this event was right on track, with the mean for the first trace of snow here at Oct 20th from nine seasons of data.  The event has actually brought the median value for that first trace of frozen down from Oct 21st to be right in line with that mean date of the 20th, and the S.D. dropped from seven days to six, so it’s helped to tighten up the data spread.  The accumulation might have actually reached the 0.1” threshold for an official accumulation, but I was definitely caught off guard and by the time I grabbed my ruler and made measurements, all the accumulation was below that 0.1” mark so it will have to go down as a trace.

LOL, I hadn’t read your post before I sent in my report, but your feeling is correct based on my data set – in terms of first frozen precipitation for the valleys, it doesn’t get much more average than this.

LOL, I hadn’t read your post before I sent in my report, but your feeling is correct based on my data set – in terms of first frozen precipitation for the valleys, it doesn’t get much more average than this.

Nice...we even just had some true flurries...like stuff that hangs in the air and floats around. Different from the straight down graupel earlier.

Archived