Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does your cheapo thermo have?

LCI was pretty cold when I went to bed, but the SW flow definitely got to them along with the fog.

It was 32.0 on the button. I think the thermometer itself is accurate, but the "best" place I could find was mounting it on a railing near the house. It always seems to read just a hair too warm

IMO, but then again....I only want it for weenie purposes. The one thing I noticed was that it seems to steadily cool through the night and not have that wicked drop off in the evening. There still is that fast sunset drop but it's always steady as she goes through the night.

Buying some camping gear so i can venture north and camp out for any NNE elevation events. Went thru Kancamangus two weeks ago and spotted some nice weenie camp grounds. Hopefully after this warmer wx passes we can get a snow shot in elevations.

Taking your snow chasing to new levels by doing high elevation winter camping eh? I've only camped once in a snowstorm back in college and it was pretty rugged. More enjoyable to just go to one of the numerous shelters and huts at high elevations throughout VT/NH. Taft Lodge on Mansfield with bunk beds and fireplace at 3,000ft is a winner.

It might depend on conditions. I drove through it right before NYE in 2008 and it was wide open. Foggy as hell and couldn't see sh*t, but wide open.

yeah it depends on the conditions...usually it's open and maintained decently well. I think Tripoli still gets closed.

Does the Kanc sometime close in winter still?

During the 12 years my parents lived in Woodsville, NH we probably made 25+ winter trips over the Kanc and never had to turn around.  One ascent from Conway included a snowsquall that dumped 4" in one hour at Wildcat (wx weenie friend was skiing there) and it probably wasn't much different where we were.  Fortunately we had our old '83 Cavalier wagon with aggressive-tread snows, for traction the best 2-WD vehicle we've ever owned.  Some roads through WMNF do close, Bear Notch Road, for instance.

During the 12 years my parents lived in Woodsville, NH we probably made 25+ winter trips over the Kanc and never had to turn around.  One ascent from Conway included a snowsquall that dumped 4" in one hour at Wildcat (wx weenie friend was skiing there) and it probably wasn't much different where we were.  Fortunately we had our old '83 Cavalier wagon with aggressive-tread snows, for traction the best 2-WD vehicle we've ever owned.  Some roads through WMNF do close, Bear Notch Road, for instance.

Yes, many roads throughtout the Whites close for the season (much to this hiker's chagrin).  I've never seen the Kanc closed for any length of time and on my winter passes on it have found it plowed very well

71.3 at home. What's the lake temp down to? Are you getting lake breezed? lol

75F now up here at MVL. Walked outside with jeans on, turned around and changed into shorts lol. It's downright warm out. Nice 20-30mph south wind gusts too.

MPV at 1200ft up to 73F now.

BML up to 75F with HIE at 74F.

Wonder what records are for some of these NNE mountain valley sites.

Archived