Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott, Just measured on Google earth. I am 1.7 miles NW of the cell tower. I am on the west side of that ridge that starts north of Rt 104 and runs up to Plymouth Mtn.

Gene, I always appreciate your posts and pics as my parents lived in Ashland when I was born. We lived there until I was five and my parents moved back to NY. My grandparents stayed in Ashland until I was 13 when they sold the Ames Brook Campground and retired. So many good memories of visiting them, especially in winter.

Key terms with the Co-Op... lol

Do you guys ever alter their reports...ie like this guy posted a pic of flakes and then calls in a "zero"?

It appears that it was not recorded as a Trace on Sunday.

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.71 48 31 39 CLOUDY

It appears that it was not recorded as a Trace on Sunday.

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.71 48 31 39 CLOUDY

Useless. They even took a picture of the flakes falling.

But I've noticed in the past that their "trace" is a trace of accumulation on the trees and grass.

Good point Tamarack; it’s always nice to check that mean/median relationship, but it’s especially prudent in the cases where there’s potentially high variability, like the edges of the snow season.  We haven’t been involved in any big October snowfalls in the eight seasons that we’ve been at this location; it appears that what’s fallen here has been more akin to the typical steady diet of NNE October snow.  The data really speak volumes in that regard if you add in the median numbers - the mean/median dates are all within a day of each other, and the snowfall amounts are fairly tight as well, suggesting that there aren’t a lot of outliers skewing the results:

Mean date of first trace:  10/20 ± 7 days; median = 10/21

Mean date of first accumulation:  10/26 ± 11 days; median = 10/27 (mean accumulation = 1.0”; median = 0.8”)

Mean date of first 1” snowfall:  11/10 ± 16 days; median = 11/9 (mean accumulation = 2.1”; median = 1.7”)

For October as a whole, mean snowfall is 0.7”, with a median of 0.6”.

I’m actually surprised at how tight those distributions are after only eight seasons, but it presumably argues for a level of consistency vs. the occurrence of extreme events.

Great info.  I suspect that your cinsistency compared to mine is that I get essentially zero upslope and depend on synoptic events.  And in case one assumes that the median is always lower than the mean (it's usually lower, for logical reasons), consider the absurd distribution of Jan snowfall I've recorded, listed most to least:

Mean:  18.69"

Median:  22.75"

Given the variability of early season snowfall, the median might be more informative than the mean, especially for those buried by the Octobomb. We weren't (4.5") but my Oct mean snowfall is 0.86" while the median is zero.

Had 0.40" overnight and 0.56" since precip started predawn yest, not huge but biggest event since mid August.

Same here, 0.56"

I haven’t had a chance to post the September liquid for our site yet, but at just 1.92”, it was surprisingly low.  For perspective, that’s the lowest monthly total in almost two years, and over the last several years that I’ve been collecting data for CoCoRaHS, I’d never recorded a September with less than 4” of liquid.  The end of September also marks the end of the CoCoRaHS water year, which came in at 44.45”.  It turns out that the 2012 water year was just slightly lower, but that’s still more than 10” below the yearly average here based on the data collected thus far.  The past few months have been luxury though with regard to the availability of dry days to mow the lawn.

I haven’t had a chance to post the September liquid for our site yet, but at just 1.92”, it was surprisingly low.  For perspective, that’s the lowest monthly total in almost two years, and over the last several years that I’ve been collecting data for CoCoRaHS, I’d never recorded a September with less than 4” of liquid.  The end of September also marks the end of the CoCoRaHS water year, which came in at 44.45”.  It turns out that the 2012 water year was just slightly lower, but that’s still more than 10” below the yearly average here based on the data collected thus far.  The past few months have been luxury though with regard to the availability of dry days to mow the lawn.

Yeah that seems low for your location along the Spine in terms of yearly water....I just checked the Stowe 0.2SW station that is near the Police/Fire Station, and that spot came in with 45.03".  So very close to your water total.  But I've noticed in previous years, your spot along the Spine axis seems to bring a few more inches of liquid in the yearly total compared to Stowe's village center.  Most events the two liquids are fairly close, but there's usually a couple events here or there where you see a decent bit more such as blocked flows from the NW.  I see the Underhill station had 50.26", below normal for there too, but they definitely seem to wring a little more liquid out on that side of the mountain.

Must be something wrong with the formatter...those are some chilly wind chills.

Rest of Today

Cloudy. Showers likely...mainly late this morning. Highs in the mid 60s. South winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. Wind chill values as low as 120 below.

Tonight

Partly cloudy with a chance of showers until midnight... then cloudy with showers with a chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent. Wind chill values as low as 120 below.

Must be something wrong with the formatter...those are some chilly wind chills.

Rest of Today

Cloudy. Showers likely...mainly late this morning. Highs in the mid 60s. South winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. Wind chill values as low as 120 below.

Tonight

Partly cloudy with a chance of showers until midnight... then cloudy with showers with a chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent. Wind chill values as low as 120 below.

Some input from Vostok there?  :lmao:

Water year at my place totaled 44.50", a whole 1/20" different from JSpin, and 89% of my 16-yr avg.  Also was the lowest since the W.Y. ending 9/30/03.  That earlier water year and the one before it were a bit either side of 35", by far my driest.

Brief very heavy squall line came through during the early morning hours. No thunder.   Rain pelting the windows woke me up.  Extremely heavy rain lasted 5 minutes with gusty winds but nothing serious right here.  Davis reported high gust of 34mph.  Friend who lives on Newfound Lake with a SW exposure emailed me and said the gusts were some of the highest he had ever seen.  He estimated 80mph.  Drove over to his place but didn't see many branches down so his estimate has to be way high.

Total rainfall last night   .55" but don't know how much of that came down in that 5 or 10 minute intense period.

First snow icons tonight for the mountain...

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Most excellent; this is typically the month when it starts up.  It’s actually a rather infrequent occurrence to get through October without some accumulating snow on Mansfield:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/36096-new-england-late-august-discussion-banter-obs/page-15#entry1706197

Archived