Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course not all 1200fts are created equal.

I don't know why I posted 1200 actually.  My front lawn is 1100.  My weather station is about 3 feet above the peak of my cedar shake roof on the west end of my house  about 20 feet above the ground higher than it should be if we were splitting hairs.  I'm guessing 6 feet above my lawn was a couple of degrees cooler.  Anyhow......

It's funny how it works. SLK is over 1600ft and radiates like mad. 1000ft around here sticks out of the landscape like a sore thumb and stays well mixed most of the time.

Yeah that's what like 1500ft will get you around here...up at the base of the ski area is almost always well mixed and can be 10F warmer than MVL. Of course, when it actually matters such as a wet snow event, 1500ft is a whole different world from 750ft.

83.5F for my high.  My neighbors well went dry today and the family with 2 kids had to go to a motel tonight.  I didn't have the heart to tell them I don't see any appreciable rainfall  (at least anything that would bring the water table up) for a long time.  I don't keep good records but don't think I have had more that 1/3 of an inch this month. Missed most everything a couple of weeks back.

NH big 3 today

CON 87F

ASH 87F

MHT 86F

Impressive stuff at HUL and CAR today. Both hit 84F and broke their record highs by 7F.

BTV...83F

1V4...82F

MVL...80F

MPV...79F

PBG...78F

SLK...76F

I'm always surprised that PBG in the Champlain Valley (NY side) is almost always colder than BTV, sometimes by a lot, and its actually at a slightly lower elevation.  PBG is 230ft and BTV is 330ft...in the same valley but BTV is almost always 3-6F warmer.  PBG temps run along with MPV a lot, even though MPV is 1,000ft higher, lol.

Well I'm not too familiar with well water.

My favorite or least favorite well water stat is that 1 in 5 private wells in NH would fail an arsenic test.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/dwgb/documents/dwgb-3-2.pdf

We found that out the hard way about 6 years ago as we had 6 straight houses under contract to buy fall through for some reason or other.  (Only 1 was because it would be $13000 to make the water safe to drink.)

Here is a recent scary article on wells in NH.

http://nhpr.org/post/50000-nh-wells-risk-high-arsenic-negative-health-impacts

Dug wells used to be widespread – think the kind of well Lassie used to rescue Timmy out of – but they were exposed to run-off and surface water, so if there’s any bacteria nearby the water is easily contaminated.

“A lot of the dug wells that we see at least in our parts of New Hampshire, they were literally getting swamp water,” explains Cushing, “Often times at the low point of the area usually down gradient of what’s now the septic system.”

On the surface there can be E. coli, nitrates, and other things that will make you very sick very quickly. So in general, wells now go deeper, where the water has been filtered by layers of dirt, sand and rock.  

But by going deeper, wells pull up water that has been soaking in whatever bedrock happens to be below the drill, and when it comes up, it could be carrying some baggage: naturally occurring elements in the earth’s crust sometimes come along for the ride.

“Normally what we test for, basic test is iron, pH manganese, occasionally arsenic if it’s in the right area, occasionally radon,” says Cushing, who’s company also includes a water conditioning business, “If we were next to a toxic waste site I’d recommend what they call volatile organic… VOCs – we do see those.”

There can also be uranium, or petroleum contaminants. None of them are good for you, but arsenic and radon are the two most common.

Only 0.53" rain this month. We've got a 500' deep well, but I just seeded ~1000sqft of new lawn, so I'll be using up a bit of water over the next couple weeks. Bring on the rain.

Looks like the first appreciable rain this weekend!  Surprised how the warmth held on today, sliding thru the upper 60's late this Pm

Speaking of wells, I used to have a dug well with just a concrete cover on it.  About 5 years ago we put in a drilled well.  They had to go deep, 700 or 800 feet.  I think it produces about 4 gallons a minute.  I did have a basic water test a few years ago but don't remember if they tested for arsenic.

Looks like the first appreciable rain this weekend!  Surprised how the warmth held on today, sliding thru the upper 60's late this Pm

Speaking of wells, I used to have a dug well with just a concrete cover on it.  About 5 years ago we put in a drilled well.  They had to go deep, 700 or 800 feet.  I think it produces about 4 gallons a minute.  I did have a basic water test a few years ago but don't remember if they tested for arsenic.

We have lots of radon and uranium, but not surprised given we blasted through a bunch of granite. No arsenic though, but had that in our old home.

What a bipolar month this has been...MVL is dead on normal for temps, yet 30% of the days have featured double digit departures. There have been 5 days of -10 or lower, and 5 days of +10 or higher departures.

BTV has had 6 days of -10 or more, and 6 days of +10 or more departures. Like a seesaw, up and down and then back up.

It's either really cold or really warm.

Archived