If you got a lady and you want her gone

But you ain't got the guts

She keeps naggin' at you night and day

Enough to drive you nuts

Pick up the phone, leave her alone

It's time you made a stand

For a fee, I'm happy to be

Your back door man hey

I've always thought you'd be great as my back door man. Hey!

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My stats professor went out on medical leave, and now we have a new professor. What a recipe for disaster more than halfway through the semester

I took stats last semester,  Ended up with a B-.  I screwed myself b/c on this one test I used the complete wrong formulas and ended up with like a 36 on the test or something...I nearly cried.  

Going Way Back following the Weather...

I thought I would post about how much as changed for someone who is interested in  Meteorology.  I saw some postings in the November thread but this is more banter.  Times have sure changed since I was a 13 year old kid.  I just turned 58.  Many of you were not born when I first started with this hobby.  Weatherfella, you probably remember much of this, happy almost 68!

I grew up in the Boston area and in the 1960's there was little weather info.  The National Weather Service had a free number 617 936 1212  and I would call it many times a day.  It was updated every 6 hours and gave a general forecast for 2 or 3 days out.  No Weather Radio  or other means of getting data that I can remember.  Boston had the 3 channels and had each had a Met.  Don Kent on channel 4 was the one most everyone watched. Back then for the weather segment there was a regional board and a national board.  They used chalk or magic markers.  Don Kent was great.  Back then they drew isobars on the maps.  City stations had wind bars, degree of cloud cover etc.  I believe the LFM was the model they used.  No sat or radar.  Don had many interesting ways to predict what was going to happen.  For instance for Boston to have snow Mount Washington had to be 25F or lower.  Many big mistakes were made, sneaky storms etc. but all and all not too bad.  That was the only easy way for the casual weather watcher to get info.

Around the late 60's the Mets would show Sat and very crude radar.  I moved to Baltimore in 1970   I was friends with Bob Turk the on air Met who is still there!   Around 4pm  I would get out my AM transistor radio  to see if I could detect T storms.  By the freq and loudness of the static I could tell if storms were getting near.  Bob would call me 30 minutes before airtime and since I lived NW of the city I would report towering Cu etc.

During collage I majored in Geography but did a internship at BWI.  That is when I took obs, did the nowcast on the weather radio and got to learn some crude modeling on the big fax machines that chugged out tons of paper.  Then after graduating moved to Boston.  In 1995 when the internet really started going main stream the amount of weather data changed drastically.  I was friends with Harvey, Todd Gross, Barry Burbank etc.  Todd was very much into new technology.  He was the one that told me about the internet.  Back then few people had PC's but he told me to go down to Harvard Square where they had something called a Internet Cafe.  I remember my first time on the net. Webcrawler was the browser and it was slow. I looked up the term "weather" and got 50 hits.  Unbelievable, I could look up city obs, forecasts, discussions of the NWS.  Next day I went and spent $2500 for a Pentium PC and AOL.  My hobby changed very fast.  Now I could learn and read models, communicate with others and the amount of data changed drastically.  Within a couple of years I was not tuned into the TV but getting my info from the source or weather groups. Todd moved away from Boston and the core group of people he created moved from different services and boards as things matured.  My mind is going blank, what was the board before the creation of AMWX?  Lots of politics and it was a said day that board went down.  I was so glad when some of today's mods set up AMWX.  This site, the NWS model page and weathertap are probably my most frequently used sites.

By the way over the past 40 years the quality of on air Mets has really decreased in my opinion.  Back in the day the great Mets,  Don Kent, Bob Copeland and the young Harvey Leonard were so informative.  Today it seems more about looks than knowledge.  

Really enjoyed this post. Funny reading about the times of no models and data, having to call a weather line for information.

You should check out a trial of www.weatherbell.com . It has really made using the models a lot easier, might be worth the investment. 

You're f***ed. I had that happen once, it was... entertaining.

I have heard a few stories, and they are nightmarish. I have a 97 average in the class currently, with about 60% of graded assignments to go.

He said he's going to try to do exactly what my professor was doing, but he's already changing stuff.

If I end up dropping down below like an A or B, I'm going to the registrar. Its basically starting new halwau through when you already are used to this teacher. Nearly impossible.

We have a month left, well see how it goes

I have heard a few stories, and they are nightmarish. I have a 97 average in the class currently, with about 60% of graded assignments to go.

He said he's going to try to do exactly what my professor was doing, but he's already changing stuff.

If I end up dropping down below like an A or B, I'm going to the registrar. Its basically starting new halwau through when you already are used to this teacher. Nearly impossible.

We have a month left, well see how it goes

I have no doubt you'll end up being fine, if you really get the material then it's almost always a survivable experience with little to no impact on the grade. Sometimes it can actually get a little easier, assuming you don't get a clown.

Same as you guys with finals, as far as I'm concerned the semester is pretty much over. I'm *so* looking forward to constant cancellations next semester.

I have no doubt you'll end up being fine, if you really get the material then it's almost always a survivable experience with little to no impact on the grade. Sometimes it can actually get a little easier, assuming you don't get a clown.

Same as you guys with finals, as far as I'm concerned the semester is pretty much over. I'm *so* looking forward to constant cancellations next semester.

Yeah we are on the home stretch now. September and october are the meat of the semester with really no time off. Now we have thanksgiving break. Two more weeks then a week or two after break and thats it.

BSU is a heavy commuter school, class is canceled all the time lol, its great

I tried telling folks that was the reason I didn't have AC when I lived on the beach, just was a different feel than inland.

Yeah that's the truth. I remember in BTV when we'd get out of the bars at 2am and it's 76/71, there was at least that 20-30kt southerly breeze flowing through. Still made sleeping pretty rugged though if that breeze wasn't translating into the apartment...then we'd be left with stale near 80F air indoors.

It's like picking 75F at night but with 30mph nocturnal low level jet at BTV...or 60F and dead calm in the mountain valleys.

I hate when my classes are cancelled :lol:

Hasn't happened all too much. 

What I do HATE though is when your early morning class is cancelled and the only way you know is by going to class.  Happened to me a few weeks ago.  I have a MW 10:05 Music class...which isn't early but I usually get up around 7:30 AM and take a shower and take a 8:23 bus so I get to my class around 8:50 and I will usually just work on some Calc III...well I get there and class was cancelled.  

Yeah we are on the home stretch now. September and october are the meat of the semester with really no time off. Now we have thanksgiving break. Two more weeks then a week or two after break and thats it.

BSU is a heavy commuter school, class is canceled all the time lol, its great

The recently retired provost is a friend of mine.

As a kid in the 60s I would trace a map outline and fill in my own version of winter storms using a newspaper weather map for reference, would tape forecasts on a portable reel to reel deck, I got a weather radio for Christmas and the marine forecasts were fascinating, no naming of storms then, no panic at the sight of a snowflake, good memories     :)

As a kid in the 60s I would trace a map outline and fill in my own version of winter storms using a newspaper weather map for reference, would tape forecasts on a portable reel to reel deck, I got a weather radio for Christmas and the marine forecasts were fascinating, no naming of storms then, no panic at the sight of a snowflake, good memories :)

we all have the disease

Archived