SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter Thread

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honda CR-V. I got rear ended by some dipsh*t 2 weeks ago and car totaled. So, I've had to hurry up and try to find something that I wasn't ready for and we finally did. Then, this happens. It's also not easy trying to do all this being a shift worker and finding a babysitter as we go out and shop for cars. It took a lot of restraint for me not to punch the window and shatter it. I'm also under a time constraint with the rental I had so it all needs to get done soon. 

That sucks.

I got hit by a guy in the hateful stop-and-go traffic in North Conway two weeks ago.  He was probably texting.  The damage was limited to him punching a small hole into my bumper.  I still called the cops--I don't want my rates to go up because of that.  Amazing that a little hole (2" diameter??) would merit an estimate of about $900 bucks. 

Yep. Jeter isn't elite, but he was a great player.

If this isn't elite..I'm not sure what your definition of elite is..Maybe Ortiz lol

1. Winning percentage: .593 

Jeter is the leader in personal winning percentage (minimum of 1,000 games) among active players, his career record of 1,626-1,116 producing that .593 mark. Additionally, those 1,626 regular-season wins rank tops among active players and the most in franchise history. Mickey Mantle is a distant second with 1,376.

2. Hits: 3,461

In the Yankees' storied history, no player has more base knocks than Jeter -- and it isn't close. Jeter's former teammate, Bernie Williams, ranks fifth on the list with 2,336, while Mantle (2,415), Babe Ruth (2,518) and Lou Gehrig (2,721) hold the spots in between.

Jeter also ranks sixth on the all-time hits list. He passed Paul Molitor (3,319), Carl Yastrzemski (3,419) and Honus Wagner (3,420) this season.

jeter_n8kdyklx_5cbcjlqx.jpg

3. Two hundred-hit seasons: 8

Gehrig is the only other Yankee to collect 200 hits in a single campaign that many times. If you want to use consecutive seasons as a tiebreaker, Jeter twice had streaks of three straight seasons with 200-plus hits, while Gehrig only did that once. (Gehrig fell two 1933 hits shy of a five-season streak.)

4. Consecutive 150-hit seasons: 17

Let's lower the threshold a bit, from 200 hits to 150, and Jeter makes the mark 17 times -- in a row. The only other person to do that ever is Hank Aaron (1955-1971).

Jeter's run started in 1996 -- his first full Major League season -- and ended in 2012. An injury-plagued 2013 marred any chance at extending it further.

5. Postseason hits: 200

Not-so-coincidentally, Jeter's many trips deep into October did some serious memory making and yielded an additional season's-worth of hits, more than any other player in playoff history. Jeter is also the all-time leader in postseason runs scored with 111.

Interestingly, Williams (128 hits) and Manny Ramirez (117 hits) rank second and third, respectively, on both lists.

6. Peers in the 3,000-hit, 250-homer, 300-stolen base, 1,200-RBI club: 1

Say hey, Willie Mays. This exclusive club features arbitrary cutoffs, sure, but Jeter and Mays are the only Major Leaguers to ever reach all of those marks. Jeter did it in two fewer seasons than Mays did.

He has a 20 yr career . Of course that will produce big numbers. But I think most would agree he isn't elite given the stats. He is a very good player who did everything right. Not sure why fans get butthurt from that.

I don't think you would find more than a few people who don't consider Jeter an elite player. The stats and numbers prove it. It's not debatable or arguable. His name is up there with Gehrig, Wagner, Mays, , Mantle..etc etc..If a few people don't see his numbers as elite..then they really don't know anything about baseball or baseball history.

I don't think you would find more than a few people who don't consider Jeter an elite player. The stats and numbers prove it. It's not debatable or arguable. His name is up there with Gehrig, Wagner, Mays, , Mantle..etc etc..If a few people don't see his numbers as elite..then they really don't know anything about baseball or baseball history.

No MVPs in his 20 years though he did get a 2nd & two 3rds.   The only argument against is he never had a season where he was the clear cut best player in the game as did all those you mention.

As a SS when you include range etc, I don't think those numbers call him elite. You guys have blinders on.

Now you are sounding foolish. How does his range at SS have anything to do with him being elite? Was he a great defensive player? Absolutely not. He was a slightly above average defensive player. His offensive numbers are elite. The intangibles like playing 19 yrs, playing in NY on winning teams all can be factored in. He would have put up the same numbers on the Astros or the Cubs as he did in NY. He's never been my favorite player on the Yankees..and i don't have blinders on. If he played for the Sox..I'd be saying the same thing. To say he's not elite..when you look at his numbers..it's just foolish

No MVPs in his 20 years though he did get a 2nd & two 3rds.   The only argument against is he never had a season where he was the clear cut best player in the game as did all those you mention.

Well Pedroia won an MVP..and I think we can all agree..he's nowhere near elite. If you were starting a team...who would you take?

Jeter wasn't consistently elite on a rate basis. (I.e stats per season). But he was exceptional at staying on the field and consistently being above average....and in best 3 or 4 seasons he was borderline elite.

Longevity combined with solidly above average is hall of fame material for sure. You see so many guys who were more talented players than Jeter who become footnotes because they cannot stay healthy or last as long. Jeter was the poster child of reliability. Always suited up and got out on the field. That's worth a lot.

i would consider jeter a borderline elite player. Elite is saved for the best ever, and he may or may not be in that class, its pretty much your opinion. I have to kind of agree with Scott on this one though. The dude played 20 relatively healthy years. Anyone with a pulse who plays that long is going to put up some decent numbers. Obviously jeter was much better than that but 20 years is a long time to compile stats.

Also, he was never the mvp of the league, never the best player at any one time in baseball.

Lets not forget that he was a below average defender most of his career, including his prime, which often gets masked by some of the spectacular plays and jump throws he has made from short.

Kind of playing devils advocate here, but there is room to debate.

Obviously he is still a first ballot hall of famer IMO. An era did end last night, and jeter was a true professional for his entire career

Now you are sounding foolish. How does his range at SS have anything to do with him being elite? Was he a great defensive player? Absolutely not. He was a slightly above average defensive player. His offensive numbers are elite. The intangibles like playing 19 yrs, playing in NY on winning teams all can be factored in. He would have put up the same numbers on the Astros or the Cubs as he did in NY. He's never been my favorite player on the Yankees..and i don't have blinders on. If he played for the Sox..I'd be saying the same thing. To say he's not elite..when you look at his numbers..it's just foolish

See Will's post.

Well Pedroia won an MVP..and I think we can all agree..he's nowhere near elite. If you were starting a team...who would you take?

Well Pedy is already showing signs of breaking down, and as Will mentioned, Jeet's consistency is elite.

That said, Pedroia has a much higher WAR/season for his career, 5.5 to 3.8.  His OPS is just below Jeter's (.817 to .810) but his defense is much better, albeit at an easier position.  

The answer is Jeter, but it actually would be a reasonable comp if Pedy could somehow play another 10 seasons which he won't.

Pedroia is breaking down already, which hurts his case.

However, going by the numbers, pedroia stacks up pretty well with jeter, if not better in some areas.

The problem is jeters longevity, which pedroia probably won't match

What made Jeter elite was the fact that he was extremely consistent and had longevity.  When he was up in key situations, you just had a feeling he was going to come through, both offensively and defensively.  While I don't consider him an elite defensive SS, he was extremely accurate and had great hands...his range sucked but if the ball was hit to him more often than not he was going to field it cleanly and was going to make the great throw to first.  He also just had an instinct of where to be...he was great at making those over the shoulder catches running into LF, he was fearless, diving into stands, that play against Oakland over 10 years ago...phenomenal.  The was he conducted his business as well, a true professional, the last of his era.  He may not have been the player that would hit .350 or hit 30+ HR's or drive in 100+...but he was the guy that was going to get 150-200 hits (perhaps more), the guy that would come up big in clutch situations, the guy that gave 110% every pitch of every game.    

Plus what he did for the game throughout the whole PED-era, his place as probably the best baseball role model for kids growing up, zero off-field issues, no ejections from any game, and all around class and respect for the game.

Yeah that's what does it for me, and I'm a sox fan. The role model site along with his skills and longevity. He never got tangled up in that he said she said stuff of the PED era, stayed away from that whole scene as far as possible, just went out and played baseball.

Archived