• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Effective Wednesday, December 3, 2014, at 800 AM Eastern Standard

Time (EST), 1300 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), NWS will

transfer all warning and forecast responsibility for Cheshire and

Hillsborough counties, NH, to the NWS Weather Forecast Office

(WFO) in Gray, ME, (GYX), from WFO Taunton, MA (BOX). This

transfer will enable more efficient service.

Effective Wednesday, December 3, 2014, at 800 AM Eastern Standard

Time (EST), 1300 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), NWS will

transfer all warning and forecast responsibility for Cheshire and

Hillsborough counties, NH, to the NWS Weather Forecast Office

(WFO) in Gray, ME, (GYX), from WFO Taunton, MA (BOX). This

transfer will enable more efficient service.

Where'd you see that? 

I notice when crossing from MA into VT on 91 it's often a distinct change in weather.  In NH that change seems pushed up North a bit about where the old forecast area is, so I thought it made sense.  It was weird to move 10 miles from MHT to here and switch WFO's.  Once nice thing about being on the line is that thoughts from both offices overlap a bit.  I'd rather have had the cutoff stay close.

I work at WSI as a developer and I get all the change notices from the NWS emailed to me.  This one came in today.

Here is the full text:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification/scn14-48box_gyx_county.htm

Makes a lot of sense.  Would be helpful if they shifted Berkshire and Litchfield County to BOX and SVT up  BTV

Wow, found some good weenie info for the old South Weymouth NAS on CLIMOD II. What a weenie 4 days for them in feb '94.

1994-02-08	22	12	17.0	-14.3	48	0	0.34	3.4	T
1994-02-09	24	13	18.5	-13.0	46	0	1.63	19.0	12
1994-02-10	23	6	14.5	-17.1	50	0	0.10	1.0	24
1994-02-11	30	11	20.5	-11.3	44	0	0.83	8.3	23
1994-02-12	30	20	25.0	-6.9	40	0	0.20	2.0	33

Yea that is awesome

1994-02-08	22	12	17.0	-14.3	48	0	0.34	3.4	T
1994-02-09	24	13	18.5	-13.0	46	0	1.63	19.0	12
1994-02-10	23	6	14.5	-17.1	50	0	0.10	1.0	24
1994-02-11	30	11	20.5	-11.3	44	0	0.83	8.3	23
1994-02-12	30	20	25.0	-6.9	40	0	0.20	2.0	33

Yea that is awesome

That's about 4 miles south of my location now. I wish I could find some wind obs there as well.

Makes a lot of sense. Would be helpful if they shifted Berkshire and Litchfield County to BOX and SVT up BTV

Ehhh...SVT is more in the climo of the ALY region I think...at least latitude wise. Lots of storms that affect the mountains adjacent to ALB hit all those areas of the Catskills/Berks/SVT.

Would you want BOX doing Berkshire County? You always talk about BOX not paying attention to your area as it is, do they really need more counties further west? Think about a NW flow upslope event getting Mitch or something, that seems like a stretch for BOX to pay any attention to that stuff.

I would think BOX should get the south coast of CT more so than the Berks if they are to gain zones.

Ehhh...SVT is more in the climo of the ALY region I think...at least latitude wise. Lots of storms that affect the mountains adjacent to ALB hit all those areas of the Catskills/Berks/SVT.

Would you want BOX doing Berkshire County? You always talk about BOX not paying attention to your area as it is, do they really need more counties further west? Think about a NW flow upslope event getting Mitch or something, that seems like a stretch for BOX to pay any attention to that stuff.

I would think BOX should get the south coast of CT more so than the Berks if they are to gain zones.

It's mostly for the emergency managers and state liasons who only want to coordinate with one office, one forecast.

Where'd you see that? 

Been in the works for a while now, finally getting the top level support to push the move through. Probably would've been done already if it weren't for debugging AWIPS-II here.

As some have already stated, it has nothing to do with climate or what is considered by the masses to be SNE, but rather state liaisons wanting one source for weather information.

It's funny to me that it's such a big deal around here, but farther west it's quite routine to have several offices sharing responsibility for a state.

Been in the works for a while now, finally getting the top level support to push the move through. Probably would've been done already if it weren't for debugging AWIPS-II here.

As some have already stated, it has nothing to do with climate or what is considered by the masses to be SNE, but rather state liaisons wanting one source for weather information.

It's funny to me that it's such a big deal around here, but farther west it's quite routine to have several offices sharing responsibility for a state.

You mean Blizz's opinion didn't get taken into account?

Archived