Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Odile

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP152014
1000 PM PDT SUN SEP 14 2014

...ODILE MAKES LANDFALL NEAR CABO SAN LUCAS...

SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT THE CENTER OF ODILE MADE LANDFALL
AT ABOUT 945 PM PDT...0445 UTC...NEAR CABO SAN LUCAS MEXICO. THE
ESTIMATED INTENSITY OF ODILE AT LANDFALL WAS 125 MPH...205 KM/H...
CATEGORY THREE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE.

AN AUTOMATED OBSERVING STATION NEAR CABO SAN LUCAS RECENTLY
REPORTED A SUSTAINED WIND OF 89 MPH...144 KM/H...WITH A GUST TO 116
MPH...187 KM/H. THE STATION HAS ALSO REPORTED A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF
959 MB... 28.32 INCHES.

A WEATHER STATION NEAR SANTA ROSA MEXICO HAS RECENTLY REPORTED A
WIND GUST TO 87 MPH...140 KM/H.

SUMMARY OF 945 PM PDT...0445 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...22.9N 109.8W
ABOUT 5 MI...10 KM E OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH...205 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 340 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...28 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...930 MB...27.47 INCHES

Cabo is what, 500 miles from San Diego? If this were approaching an area with an operable radar, we would be getting hourly update statements on its location and upon landfall. Just goes to show you how the 500 miles here makes a big difference, even in this technologically advanced era.

Edit: As soon as I type this, an update statement comes out.

Smdh, people telling Josh he's in the eye and what it is and what to expect on the backside. Lol, Honestly Josh might have been physically in more eyes,eyewalls than pretty much anyone on this planet.

That's what you get with social networking, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone broadcasting these things.

That's what you get with social networking, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone broadcasting these things.

Yet it can be so useful during events. Here's the latest from Josh.

11:05 pm. Calm-- or what feels like calm when you're shell-shocked. Winds maybe 20 knots. Pressure 942.8 mb. People peeking outside, walking around. The front of the hotel looks like it was put through a blender.

I mean people have to like his page to comment,meaning they have to see this,

We chase landfalling hurricanes in the USA, Mexico, and across the world, capturing and sharing the experiences via on-the-spot blogging, social media, and action-packed video footage.

No chase turf is too remote, no storm too severe for iCyclone. It’s all part of the game.

I just find it amusing. Back to Odile, helluva a chase, dead nuts. Wow on two extreme hits in 2 years.

I mean people have to like his page to comment,meaning they have to see this,

We chase landfalling hurricanes in the USA, Mexico, and across the world, capturing and sharing the experiences via on-the-spot blogging, social media, and action-packed video footage.

No chase turf is too remote, no storm too severe for iCyclone. It’s all part of the game.

I just find it amusing. Back to Odile, helluva a chase, dead nuts. Wow on two extreme hits in 2 years.

Actually as a facebook page an individual can comment on a post without 'liking' the page itself. Many posts will show up on a user's timeline because a friend liked or commented on a post. 

Did NHC just use Josh's report?

HURRICANE ODILE INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 20A
1100 PM PDT SUN SEP 14 2014

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 934 MB...27.58 INCHES.
A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF 943 MB WAS RECENTLY REPORTED NEAR CABO SAN
LUCAS.

A PWS near San Jose Del Cabo viewable on Wunderground.com is gusting to 114MPH right now. Very impressive on-land observations, so San Jose Del Cabo is getting raked.

And they were stuck in the eyewall the whole time it looks, plus they couldve got a bad storm surge too. Their are resort hotels there right on the beach.

Did NHC just use Josh's report?

HURRICANE ODILE INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 20A

1100 PM PDT SUN SEP 14 2014

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK

------------------------------

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 934 MB...27.58 INCHES.

A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF 943 MB WAS RECENTLY REPORTED NEAR CABO SAN

LUCAS.

Wouldn't be surprised, a lot of NHC mets follow Josh on Twitter and Facebook.

Agree its most likely Josh's report. He has quite a large following on social media and the credibility to match.  

From Josh

Midnight. CODE RED. At 11:46 pm, the backside of the eyeall hit-- no buildup-- just all of a sudden the howling and banging started up again. The hotel manager joked that it sounds like gunshots. Then at maybe midnight... BOOM!!!!! The entire glass wall of the lobby EXPLODED-- with glass, pieces of building, everything flying to the other end of the lobby. Like an explosion in an action movie. A hotel worked and I ducked under the reception counter-- I physically grabbed his head and pushed it under the counter. Glass was everywhere-- my leg gashed-- blood. We crawled into the office-- me, the worker, and the manager-- but the ceiling started to lift up. After five minutes of debate-- breathing hard like three trapped animals-- we made a run for it-- went running like HELL across the lobby-- which is now basically just OUTSIDE-- and made it to the stairwell and an interior hallway. Two nice women dressed my wound. I don't know where my cameradude, Steven, is. I need to find him. People are scared.

1 am. I found Steve-- we were tearfully reunited. I say tearfully because I was so happy to find him in the chaos I got emotional. After waling the flooded, dark hallways alone, I found him sheltered in a bathroom next to the lobby with two other guests. Steve was in the cloud of flying glass as that wall exploded. Like us, he had to run like hell-- and like me, he was bloodied. Steve saw me and my partners scampering like rats across the lobby earlier-- when we made our escape-- but I didn't hear his calling over the roar of the wind. What you see here is my leg-- dressed in a towel-- Steve's wound dressed in duct tape, and a shoe he fashioned out of duct tape (because he lost his). We're in an interior hall now. We're OK. I think the wind is quieting down. I think. Parts of the hotel are smashed beyond recognition.

Latest update.

https://www.facebook.com/iCyclone/photos/a.403096644596.183425.52553204596/10152528980019597/?type=1

Archived