SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell that to the models lol they running some pretty outrageous stuff for November which is fueling all this stuff, climo strongly suggest snow is unlikely but hell who would EVER think that the midlands of SC could get 3-5" on Dec 1st much less Nov 1st. Bozart said one time that some years it just wants to snow and it seems this is gonna be one of those years.

Sorry...I meant early for the complaining. Certainly, the models continue to show an impressive cold blast for so early in the season, though I would expect the wintry threat to be tempered as we close in....especially in central/eastern areas. Fun start so far.

I think with amount of cold air coming this is a definitely more than just fantasy. I would even say, as the time get closer the models may start showing something a little more widespread.   

I agree with that statement. I don't think the models have a good handle on the changes yet. We're still 7 days out and with such an changing amp'd up pattern, latching on to a solution this early will be difficult. I have a feeling that many things will be changing before it gets here. 

Thanks. Yep, the signal is undeniable on the models. The fact it is early calls for some conservatism, but the synoptic setup if true is very interesting. Anomalous arctic high with overruning can produce wintry weather as early as mid-november. I attached the 00z GGEM sleet/freezing rain forecasts.

Raleigh - the Nov 1976 storm you mentioned on twitter and the Nov 2000 storm are both at the top of the list on the CPC D11 matching analogs (close to the storm dates)...

fdhTKSy.gif

The 12z CMC (day 8-9) is a big winter storm for NC and points west of 85.  Snow map will be big.

Brad P. reports (I'm assuming 0z run) that 11 of 52 members of EURO ENS have snow in Charlotte next Friday.  It's getting legs.  I wonder what the EURO will show this afternoon...

I'm not expecting much as this is freakin November.  But hey, it's November!! Pretty cool nonetheless. 

Widremann has been this way since I started posting on Eastern back in 2005 or so ( and for those who have been here longer I am sure he was like that way before I came along), he is practically a institution on to himself and no SE snowstrom thread is complete without Widremann coming in an poo pooing on the parade. The rest of these debbie downers are just posers who wish they had it like Widremann does....

I have the next 10 days off from work, I am loving the cold signal for next week, if reminds me of how 2009-2010 flipped to winter only it is 2 weeks sooner......

LOL good old Widre. I'm sure he must be a pleasure to be around.

Allan, I sent you a message through private, but it basically says I can't.  So I'll post it here:

"Wondering if you were using Gempak to generate the weather model data?  I have it, but haven't gotten everything configured up well.  Grads is something I can sorta use, but wondering if Gempak is really just that much better and if I should stick with it?  I can get access to a noaa port."

Not sure about surface temps but that would be a major ice event for CAD areas.

Soundings look IP-ish. Surface temps are in the 20's up this way and lower 30's closer towards Boone. AVL area looks like it would be a cold rain. CAD slowly erodes and most places in W/NW NC go above freezing after 12z Friday. Ah, feels good to be back discussing model runs even though it's still a week away.

Wonder how early a CAD event has produced 0.25+ of ZR in the SE. Mid Nov. is very early

Worst ice storm I ever experienced was about a day or two into December 2002 or 3? No power for 7 days, so that's only roughly 2 weeks ahead of next weekends time frame, so it's possible! Had atleast 1/2 inch accretion and inch of sleet, temps 26-28 all day, 65 day before.

Archived