• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

Latest post from Wxsouth......In all the years I've studied old maps in meteorology, I've never seen this. What the models are progging at the jetstream level is practically unprecendented. It takes the northern wave all the way from the Canadian Arctic Archipelago region and drops it all the way south to northeast Georgia, upper SC as a 2 Contoured-cutoff low. Amazing just to see it progged. Not sure if that's going to be right, but the European and GFS are trending toward that kind of "super amplified pattern". I won't be surprised to see snow flurries and snow showers accompany this feature late Friday night in much of eastern half of Tennessee, northern Alabama, Northern Ga and the Carolinas and southwest, southern Va on Saturday. By Saturday daytime, temps at the ground level will be in the 40's, so I'm leaning toward the better snow shower chances in the mountains and west of the mountains, but strange things have happened when upper lows cross this far south.

:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank goodness most of this potential intense cold is waiting til 11/1! I don't want my warm October to be meddled with. ;)

Has anyone studied analogs of SE November snows as related to the following winter? ;)

This isn't much to go on but I remember only 1 November with any real snow outside of the mountains and that was November of 2000. After a major bust in December with only light snow instead of the forecasted  6-12, the rest of that winter was mostly snowless outside of the mountains.

This isn't much to go on but I remember only 1 November with any real snow outside of the mountains and that was November of 2000. After a major bust in December with only light snow instead of the forecasted 6-12, the rest of that winter was mostly snowless outside of the mountains.

I remember that horrible bust! We were under WSW for 6-12 and maybe got a dusting ! There were a few smaller rain/snow mix events around that time, but winter was over after that! I remember a dusting around Nov 9th in 1995, earliest I have ever personally seen a dusting here. It was slow after that till January, then all heck broken loose and there seemed to be an event every week in Jan and some brutal cold and lake effect snow off of lake Hartwell!

@hr 84 cut off low centered over Charlotte with thickness values of 534.  Snow in WNC possibly making it into parts of the Piedmont.   Moves off NC coast @hr 93.  Timing is terrible for the eastern 1/3 of the state but with those thickness values I wouldn't be surprised to see a few flakes mixing in.

A lot of detail still to be scrubbed out per this last run but the ingredients are there for a WNC snow and possibly flakes making it into the western half of the state.  Moisture will be lacking due to the nature of the track and no gulf source but lets see how this plays out, some could be in for a little surprise.

A lot of detail still to be scrubbed out per this last run but the ingredients are there for a WNC snow and possibly flakes making it into the western half of the state.  Moisture will be lacking due to the nature of the track and no gulf source but lets see how this plays out, some could be in for a little surprise.

Will ground temps be an issue for the Carolinas ?

Will ground temps be an issue for the Carolinas ?

Yep ha it was 75-80 today in most areas, rates will struggle to overcome that.  Most outside the mountains shouldn't see a lot of accumulation due to timing and ground temps.  Unfavorable sun angle I could name a few more but hey we are tracking a legit storm in October so I will take what I can get.  At least its not March.

Yep ha it was 75-80 today in most areas, rates will struggle to overcome that.  Most outside the mountains shouldn't see a lot of accumulation due to timing and ground temps.  Unfavorable sun angle I could name a few more but hey we are tracking a legit storm in October so I will take what I can get.  At least its not March.

Nobody outside of the mountains will see accumulations, and doubtful they will see any flakes. It'll take a while for the low-levels to even get near freezing, probably after the storm is passed. This is November 1st we're talking here.

Nobody outside of the mountains will see accumulations, and doubtful they will see any flakes. It'll take a while for the low-levels to even get near freezing, probably after the storm is passed. This is November 1st we're talking here.

I am not talking about Raleigh, mostly the northern piedmont.  No snow for you!

Yep ha it was 75-80 today in most areas, rates will struggle to overcome that. Most outside the mountains shouldn't see a lot of accumulation due to timing and ground temps. Unfavorable sun angle I could name a few more but hey we are tracking a legit storm in October so I will take what I can get. At least its not March.

Rate of snow trumps ground temp anyday, all day!

Euro last night was pretty "meh" even for the mountains. As with any phasing/dynamic storm devil will be in the details and since it's October we'll probably end up with just a lot of cold wind. 

Yeah Burg it was pretty meh but the ensemble has a lot more support for snow then the deterministic.  36/50 with accumulation at KAVL.  Details still need to be fine tuned with this one.

Archived