• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS

jaxjagman

At my home in north Johnson City the 2 inches we had the prior night and yesterday morning was down to about 3/4" to 1" this morning after another "skiff" of snow was added overnight.  Never quite got into any snow shower activity.  My office in Erwin (15 miles south) however, was a different story.  It was snowing this morning, again.  Heavily for a while with temperatures hovering around 15.  I took these pictures during some of the heavier bursts.  Very odd to see so much here and so little in Johnson City just a few minutes away. Being a valley location, Erwin has done REALLY well with these pieces of energy pushing through.  As I type this, I see the sun making an appearance.

Congrats to those that saw snow, especially those that over-performed in middle Tennessee!

post-1186-0-17145700-1455115946_thumb.jp

post-1186-0-09443000-1455115963_thumb.jp

post-1186-0-77754900-1455115971_thumb.jp

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess our radars can't see everything.  Ever since the heavy snow moved out, I've had a very fine sleet, rain, or snow mix falling all day.  It's more like a mist than anything else. 

It's been a good Friday at the homestead.  Days like this make me glad to be a weather geek.  :)

I guess our radars can't see everything.  Ever since the heavy snow moved out, I've had a very fine sleet, rain, or snow mix falling all day.  It's more like a mist than anything else. 

It's been a good Friday at the homestead.  Days like this make me glad to be a weather geek.  :)

Same here. Very thick clouds, almost like fog. Still getting flurries. It has been relatively dark here as well due to the clouds. Not a whole lot of sunlight. It's felt like evening all afternoon.

My wife works off Cedar Bluff in Knoxville. Around 8:15am the storm passed over them and she said trees and limbs are everywhere and had some stop signs ripped off also. One of her coworkers husband (who works at the same complex) was driving into work and said he saw a small funnel cloud form over that area as well.

Storms this morning probably got some extra wind from momentum transfer off those intense 850/700 mb winds. While the inversion restricted CAPE, the same inversion focused momentum down to surface. MD #139 talked about it but they did not box East Tenn. Thank the inversion for impressive claps of thunder too.

My wife works off Cedar Bluff in Knoxville. Around 8:15am the storm passed over them and she said trees and limbs are everywhere and had some stop signs ripped off also. One of her coworkers husband (who works at the same complex) was driving into work and said he saw a small funnel cloud form over that area as well.

Yeah the sky looked wild.  I bet there are some impressive BloomSky time-lapse recordings for that one.

Archived