• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS

jaxjagman

Anybody getting any cryosiesmic booms this morning?

http://wkrn.com/2015/02/19/middle-tennessee-residents-report-strange-booming-sounds/

Woke up to some loud pops here, was afraid it might have been pipes bursting.  No evidence of that but now wondering if it could have been these frost quakes.  If not it was probably just this wooden house creaking from the cold.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody getting any cryosiesmic booms this morning?

http://wkrn.com/2015/02/19/middle-tennessee-residents-report-strange-booming-sounds/

Woke up to some loud pops here, was afraid it might have been pipes bursting.  No evidence of that but now wondering if it could have been these frost quakes.  If not it was probably just this wooden house creaking from the cold.

This happened all night. I had no idea what was going on. Up to 6 degrees after hitting -6.

I'm not sure snow has stopped falling today. As Jed mentioned, they are very, very fine flakes. I'm enjoying it while I can; it's not often snow falls with temperatures in the single digits in Tennessee.

Prior to the second distinctive wave moving through yesterday, a little over 2" had fallen. When the second wave moved through, the wind began drifting the snow and measurements became hard. Given the intensity and duration, I'm guessing at least an inch more fell. I walked around the neighborhood last night and measured drifts as high as two feet in some spots.

Edited to add: dipped just below zero this morning. We held on to cloud cover and a stiff breeze much of the night. Only made it to 9.9 today. I think MRX forecasted a low of -1 and high of 9, so hats off to them for nailing it.

You set yourself up for a Nicholson gif, sorry.

No worries, it was funny and creepy at the same time. And that's one of the many brilliant movies by the late/great, Stanley Kubrick. You should check out the insane conspiracy documentary about that movie called Room 237.  And just to avoid cluttering up the OBS thread, here's the latest from the Upper East Tennessee Valley:

4.1 °F Watauga ES :  Abingdon, VA

1.3 °F Mountain Empire Community College :  Big Stone Gap, VA

-.6 °F Sandlick ES :  Birchleaf, VA

8.0 °F WCYB-TV5 :  Bristol, VA

7.3 °F Duffield Primary School :  Duffield, VA

1.2 °F Glade Spring MS :  Glade Spring, VA

10.7 °F Baileyton ES :  Greeneville, TN

5.9 °F Hal Henard ES :  Greeneville, TN

3.7 °F Buchanan County Career Center :  Grundy, VA

1.0 °F Honaker ES :  Honaker, VA

1.4 °F Hurley Elementary MS :  Hurley, VA

7.4 °F Cherokee ES :  Johnson City, TN

7.3 °F Lamar ES :  Jonesborough, TN

2.1 °F WJNV-FM :  Jonesville, VA

9.4 °F John Sevier MS :  Kingsport, TN

4.5 °F Johnson County MS :  Mountain City, TN

4.4 °F Nickelsville ES :  Nickelsville, VA

-.4 °F Norton ES :  Norton, VA

1.0 °F Shady Valley ES :  Shady Valley, TN

5.9 °F St. Paul ES :  St. Paul, VA

7.7 °F Virginia Highlands Airport :  Abingdon, VA

3.9 °F Marion/Wytheville - Mtn Empire Arpt :  Atkins, VA

1.9 °F Watauga Co. Hosp. Heliport - 3000 ft elev :  Boone, NC

6.8 °F Elizabethton Municipal Arpt :  Elizabethton, TN

1.8 °F Ashe County Airport :  Jefferson, NC

12.9 °F Oak Ridge :  Oak Ridge, TN

7.0 °F Tri-City Regional Airport :  Piney Flats, TN

1.4 °F Lonesome Pine Airport :  Wise, VA

The high is settling right across Kentucky/Tennessee through 7 or 8 am. Temps will really head down all the way until that point. I'm at -7, just up the road Middlesboro is at -9, Somerset and London Ky are at -9 and -11 respectively. Mount Sterling, which is about 75 miles north of here up 75 is at -17. 

JKL also mentioned that there's a strong likelyhood of having above freezing air temps and still having freezing rain happening on roads, sidewalks and such. The ground temp is that cold. They said it happened to them last week with temps that hadn't been nearly this cold.

Archived