joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nippy afternoon here, but not close to 11/21/1987.  Check out the afternoon temps at ISP:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KISP/1987/11/21/DailyHistory.html?HideSpecis=1

That day was cloudy (not sunny like today).  Some snizzle over LI, waterspouts reported on the sound...cool stuff as I remember it.  Coldest air had passed by late afternoon / early evening.

Not sure if there was significant LES that time.  Wind direction may not have been as favorable over the lakes.

Nippy afternoon here, but not close to 11/21/1987.  Check out the afternoon temps at ISP:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KISP/1987/11/21/DailyHistory.html?HideSpecis=1

That day was cloudy (not sunny like today).  Some snizzle over LI, waterspouts reported on the sound...cool stuff as I remember it.  Coldest air had passed by late afternoon / early evening.

Not sure if there was significant LES that time.  Wind direction may not have been as favorable over the lakes.

In an unending cavalcade of undistinguished mid-80's to early 90's winters...1987-88 was about as boring as it gets. 

climatologically its prudent

Gee, that almost sounds like me...(the style, not necessarily the substance)

It must be catching.

Many people are "sour grapes" saying. This is a fake snow event ..hey ..it may not stick around the same as a non lake effect event but heck it is an epic snow fall for those who got over 5-6 ft of snow ...

I agree. Also in regards to that, the areas that get the lake effect snow are so much colder than our areas anyway.....which would delay the melting. On average, those areas have snow on the ground much more than us. If we were just as cold as the lake areas and got as much precip as they do, but by way of noreasters, sure it would stick around longer. But....we don't !

I agree. Also in regards to that, the areas that get the lake effect snow are so much colder than our areas anyway.....which would delay the melting. On average, those areas have snow on the ground much more than us. If we were just as cold as the lake areas and got as much precip as they do, but by way of noreasters, sure it would stick around longer. But....we don't !

After this historic snow event - temps saturday will be going above freezing approaching 50 in areas effected with rain for a couple of days and warmer temps for several days  which will just add to the misery - because that will cause roof collapses and flooding

http://kamala.cod.edu/ny/latest.fpus51.KBUF.html

Agree with Redmk, if we don't get snow soon many will start the ...winter cancel etc etc ..guess patience is key ..

It is, climatologically speaking nino's are often far more severe from a cold and snow stand point january on than front loaded like some here expect. Also the blocking has not yet re-established itself which is a pretty important piece of the puzzle in hopes of breaking out the KU cookbook

Archived