SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again...I only keep track of calendar day precip in my climo data. There may be a 24hr period in there well over 3". I have 5 days over 3.00" and 10 over 2.50" which is decent for an 8 year span. I would've had some big days if I had moved here a couple months earlier than June 2006. I think I had over 13" of rain in Manchvegas in May 06.

Makes sense. I totally glossed over the "calendar" day term...my fault. 

Yeah I was thinking more 36F type frost temps, but I'd be curious to see what MetHerbs record low is for like Sept 14-17 or something.

Correct, I wasn't thinking freezing temps but maybe some frost if the things happened verbatim.  Still in la la land but for the record:

9/14 = 32 in 1985

9/15 = 32 in 1986

9/16 = 30 in 1988

9/17 = 30 in 1986

9/11/1995 is my earliest 32° reading.  Earliest 37° reading is 8/25/1988.

The 80s winters sucked for the most part but they put up some good temps!

brrrrr

000WWUS71 KCAR 081925NPWCARURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME325 PM EDT MON SEP 8 2014MEZ001>006-090400-/O.NEW.KCAR.FR.Y.0005.140909T0800Z-140909T1200Z/NORTHWEST AROOSTOOK-NORTHEAST AROOSTOOK-NORTHERN SOMERSET-NORTHERN PISCATAQUIS-NORTHERN PENOBSCOT-SOUTHEAST AROOSTOOK-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ALLAGASH...CLAYTON LAKE...MADAWASKA...FORT KENT...FRENCHVILLE...PRESQUE ISLE...CARIBOU...VAN BUREN...MARS HILL...BAKER LAKE...BILLY-JACK DEPOT...BAXTER ST PARK...CHAMBERLAIN LAKE...CHURCHILL DAM...MOUNT KATAHDIN...MILLINOCKET...EAST MILLINOCKET...PATTEN...MEDWAY...HOULTON...HODGDON...SHERMAN...SMYRNA MILLS325 PM EDT MON SEP 8 2014...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 8 AM EDT TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CARIBOU HAS ISSUED A FROSTADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 8 AM EDT TUESDAY.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S.* TIMING...LATE TONIGHT.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOORPLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.&&$$NORCROSS

A little early though

In my 10 years in Ft.Kent (1976-85), avg date of first frost was Sept 7, and ranged from Aug 24 to Sept 26, though in the 8/24 year we also had a frost on July 31 that messed up my pumpkins and killed the neighbor's beans. Not sure whether to count that as early frost or late frost. The 9/26 came in 1976 when we lived next to the foggy St. John; without that year, latest was 9/17.

In my 10 years in Ft.Kent (1976-85), avg date of first frost was Sept 7, and ranged from Aug 24 to Sept 26, though in the 8/24 year we also had a frost on July 31 that messed up my pumpkins and killed the neighbor's beans. Not sure whether to count that as early frost or late frost. The 9/26 came in 1976 when we lived next to the foggy St. John; without that year, latest was 9/17.

I'd count that as early.  I have enough separation that I don't need to worry about that but I'd use July 1st as the cut off, similar to the snow, heating or cooling season.  That is an interesting one though!

July 31st would be the latest possible frost. Frost/freeze season begins August 1st. At least that's the date NCDC uses when computing frost/freeze normals.

Hrmmm...always thought it began 7/1.

I don't know if there's a standard. I've seen July 1st referenced as well in some older papers, but for example this NCDC page http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/normals/usnormalshist.html states that frost/freeze probabilities use August 1st. Whether they just picked that date out of a hat or it's some standard I couldn't say.

I don't know if there's a standard. I've seen July 1st referenced as well in some older papers, but for example this NCDC page http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/normals/usnormalshist.html states that frost/freeze probabilities use August 1st. Whether they just picked that date out of a hat or it's some standard I couldn't say.

Guess they changed it.

All freeze dates were based upon the season August 1 through July 31 for each threshold temperature. Last spring dates of occurrence were chosen for the period August 1 of the previous year through July 31 of the selected year (e.g., spring season for 1961 runs from August 1, 1960 through July 31, 1961, except 1951 which begins on January 1, 1951). First fall dates of occurrence were chosen for the period August 1 of the selected year through July 31 of the next year (e.g., fall season for 1961 runs from August 1, 1961 through July 31, 1962, except 1980 which ends on December 31, 1980). This season definition is an improvement over that previously used (the period July 1 through June 30) because the new season definition coincides more closely with the annual march of temperature in which the warmest time of year occurs closer to August 1. The change of season definition produces more realistic dates in the extreme northern and mountainous regions of the United States where temperatures frequently are at the threshold temperatures near the June 30 date.

While I guess it needs to be classified somehow, it really isn't early or late.  Instead, I'd classify it as a really crazy out-of-season frost.  :)

Looks like another warm pattern setting up nationwide after the 19th. Ugh

Good....70's for Hot air balloon festivals and apple picking.....Windows open. No heat needed at night for 40 degree temps. Perfect. That's what makes September the nicest month of the year. Embrace it. It's the only weather you've got

Archived