joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 21-26 ROF Type Severe

IWXwx

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a great lightning show to my north and ne last night where I knew the more intense storms would be located precip wise.  Only a little over an inch here in nw Hancock County ne of Indpls.   Blackford county certainly takes the honors with this episode.  Will be interesting to see what happens tonight

In June 2008, we received a report of 10.71" from Edinburgh, but it was declared unofficial and did not break the state record. I cannot remember the source of that report though.

I found a 10.94" report from the Edinburgh fire department...does that ring a bell?

Concerning the Blackford County measurements, I can't vouch for the 10"+ reading, but I know the CoCoRaHS member who reported the 9.70" reading. He is a retired firefighter and his son is the EMA director in Blackford County.

Another interesting happening from down there, a house caught on fire today in the northern part of the county and Conservation Officers had to take firefighters by boat and actually fight the fire from the boats because flood waters surrounded the house. I am 56 years old and know the area and have NEVER seen flood waters there. Simply amazing.

My local river nearing some rare air....

You can see where the combo of Thursday morning's heavy rain here locally....then this mornings heavier rains upstream have provided a 1 - 2 punch on the East Branch...

Every time a new forecast gets put out, the river seems to rise above it within the next reading or 2...(judging by the list, I'm guessing it doesn't go back extremely far...but at least 18 years)

here are the record historical crests...the dates are fairly memorable most likely for most in and around LOT....

Historical Crests
(1) 25.54 ft on 04/18/2013
(2) 24.04 ft on 09/14/2008
(3) 23.75 ft on 07/18/1996
(4) 22.55 ft on 02/22/1997
(5) 22.11 ft on 10/14/2001
(6) 21.42 ft on 01/13/2005
(7) 20.94 ft on 01/24/1999
(8) 20.61 ft on 05/08/1998
(9) 20.32 ft on 08/28/2004
(10) 20.16 ft on 04/21/2000

post-5865-0-95793900-1408761088_thumb.pn

Although SPC is saying that a watch is unlikely, I've got feeling that loLAF is going to get crushed.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1602   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1118 AM CDT SAT AUG 23 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...NRN AND EASTERN ILLINOIS INTO WRN INDIANA   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY    VALID 231618Z - 231815Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...20 PERCENT   SUMMARY...IN ADDITION TO THE RISK FOR VERY HEAVY RAINFALL AND   FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING...THE POTENTIAL FOR STRONG WIND   GUSTS MAY BEGIN TO INCREASE WITH STORMS OVERSPREADING THE REGION   THIS AFTERNOON.  THE PROBABILITY OF A SEVERE WEATHER WATCH ISSUANCE   STILL SEEMS LOW...BUT TRENDS IN STORM COVERAGE AND ORGANIZATION WILL   CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED.   DISCUSSION...VIGOROUS CONVECTION PERSISTS WITH A BAND OF FORCING FOR   UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAK SHORT WAVE IMPULSE NOW   PROGRESSING AROUND/THROUGH THE CREST OF MID-LEVEL RIDGING ACROSS   NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND SOUTHERN WISCONSIN.  A LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS   APPEARS LIKELY TO CONTINUE SPREADING EASTWARD INTO THE CHICAGO   METROPOLITAN AREA THROUGH THE 18-19Z TIME FRAME...BUT THE STRONGEST   ACTIVITY IS BECOMING FOCUSED ON THE SOUTHERN FLANK OF THE LINE   ADVANCING NEAR/NORTH THROUGH EAST OF PEORIA...AIDED BY INFLOW OF   SOMEWHAT WARMER AND MORE MOIST AIR.   AS INHIBITION FOR VERY MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER PARCELS /WITH SURFACE   DEW POINTS IN THE MID 70SF/ CONTINUES TO WEAKEN WITH INSOLATION   ...FURTHER INTENSIFICATION OF CONVECTION OR SUBSTANTIVE NEW   DEVELOPMENT APPEARS PROBABLE DURING THE NEXT FEW HOURS ACROSS OR TO   THE EAST SOUTHEAST OF THE PEORIA/BLOOMINGTON/DECATUR AREA.  DESPITE   THE PRESENCE OF WEAK TO MODEST MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES... SEASONABLY   HIGH MOISTURE CONTENT...WITH PRECIPITABLE WATER WELL IN EXCESS OF   TWO INCHES...IS SUPPORTING SIZABLE CAPE AND THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY   PRECIPITATION LOADING.  THIS COULD BEGIN TO GRADUALLY CONTRIBUTE TO   AN INCREASING RISK FOR STRONG DOWNBURSTS...AND PERHAPS AN   EXPANDING/STRENGTHENING SURFACE COLD POOL.   WITH DEEP LAYER MEAN FLOW FIELDS TRANSITIONING FROM LIGHT WESTERLY   TO LIGHT NORTHWESTERLY ACROSS ILLINOIS INTO INDIANA...THE TENDENCY   MAY BE FOR STRONGEST STORMS TO EVENTUALLY TAKE ON A MORE   SOUTHEASTERLY PROPAGATION THROUGH THE AFTERNOON HORUS.   ..KERR/MEAD.. 08/23/2014

Hard to tell exactly....but looks like some sort of lake breeze or lake boundary has made it to the western edge of cook county...could see some interesting action there

not so much interesting as just bad luck for areas hit hard yesterday....

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

117 PM CDT SAT AUG 23 2014

.MESOSCALE DISCUSSION...

115 PM CDT

LINE OF STORMS IS MOVING EAST INTO THE CHICAGOLAND AREA EARLY THIS

AFTERNOON. WHILE THIS HAS SHOWN A GRADUAL WEAKENING

TREND WITH LESS LIGHTNING...DESTABILIZATION ACROSS NORTHWEST

IN...EASTERN IL...AND INTO THE SOUTH CHICAGO METRO THE PAST FEW

HOURS SHOULD AID IN THE ACTIVITY TO AT LEAST PERSIST WITH HEAVY

RAINFALL RATES. IN ADDITION...CONVERGENCE FROM THE SYSTEM OUTFLOW

AND THE LAKE BREEZE HAS ALREADY FIRED A FEW ADDITIONAL CELLS AND

THAT WILL LIKELY CONTINUE TO OCCUR IN SUBURBAN AREAS THROUGH 2-3 PM. THE AREA OF STORMS ALSO SHOULD FURTHER SLOW AS IT RUNS INTO THE MARINE LAYER. THIS MAY CAUSE HEAVY RAINFALL RATES TO PERSIST

OVER THE SAME URBAN AREAS FOR A WHILE...INCLUDING THOSE THAT WERE

HIT HARD LATE THURSDAY NIGHT. WILL BE MONITORING CLOSELY. SEVERE

THREAT APPEARS MINIMAL...WITH MAINLY THE FAR SOUTHEAST CWA BEING

THE ONE AREA THAT COULD SEE AN ISOLATED FLARE UP TO THAT LEVEL.

NOW THAT AREAS HAVE BEEN RAIN COOLED...WILL ADJUST TEMPERATURES

CONSIDERABLY DOWNWARD THE REST OF THE AFTERNOON.

Archived