SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deer Valley, Utah acquires Solitude Mountain Resort...  What's fascinating is that in Utah this year, there have been 4 major ownership changes in the Salt Lake City regional mountains.

http://www.snocountry.com/snonews/ski-resort-news/snonews-featured-stories/entry/deer-valley-acquires-solitude-latest-salvo-in-ski-area-monopoly-game-

And then there were two. Vail Resorts leases Canyons; Park City’s Ian Cumming buys Snowbird; Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain Resort and Friday (Oct. 3) Deer Valley got into the "Ski Area Monopoly" game with its announcement that they have purchased Solitude Mountain Resort in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. I really like Solitude and think in the coming years things will change dramatically for the worse. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Its actually a brilliant plan by Deer Valley though....if they are smart they won't change the brand at all.  They'd be stupid to try to rebrand it, but now they can dual market both of the resorts, and they now have a portfolio of a high-end ritzy spot, and a place known for its brown bagging.  They are two different types of resorts, but now the parent company can appeal to all types of skiers/riders.  If you like more laid back, brown bagging style, go to Solitude, and if you want more services and a higher-end product, go to Deer Valley.

I would think this would help Solitude a lot, too.  Its been for sale for over a year now and that's not good for the skiers/riders as well as the staff.  Service and execution of SOPs gets sloppy, there's absolutely no money getting put into the ski area, even things like maintenance can get sloppy without clear direction.  Plus when you are for sale, you have no idea who might buy it and what their interests might be....maybe some Japanese company wants to buy it and turn it into the world's largest tubing hill...who knows. 

No doubt, all great points and I need to understand that I might get there once a year and it is a business after all.  Just me being selfish.  From what I understand they are not changing anything for this season but will "reevaluate" in the off season. 

Yeah, I really think the worst thing they could do is re-brand the resort into something more upscale.  As a business, usually your number 1 thing is trying to improve the customer experience and sometimes its hard to say "no" to updating services, facilities, programs, etc.  I think they'll have to find a balance in keeping Solitude like it was for those that are used to going there, but also making it a viable business.  Remember, these places go for sale for a reason, and its likely that they aren't making money at the rate they should be...a sign that skier days are low, but that's why the folks that do go there, go there.  So you've got low crowds, brown-bagging locals style hill...but it may be bleeding money too.  That's a tough decision if in order to be profitable you have to get more skiers in the doors at a higher price point.

I obviously find the industry fascinating...and it is very hard trying to appeal to your "core skier" appeal & values, and yet run a successful, sustainable business.

Yeah, I really think the worst thing they could do is re-brand the resort into something more upscale.  As a business, usually your number 1 thing is trying to improve the customer experience and sometimes its hard to say "no" to updating services, facilities, programs, etc.  I think they'll have to find a balance in keeping Solitude like it was for those that are used to going there, but also making it a viable business.  Remember, these places go for sale for a reason, and its likely that they aren't making money at the rate they should be...a sign that skier days are low, but that's why the folks that do go there, go there.  So you've got low crowds, brown-bagging locals style hill...but it may be bleeding money too.  That's a tough decision if in order to be profitable you have to get more skiers in the doors at a higher price point.

I obviously find the industry fascinating...and it is very hard trying to appeal to your "core skier" appeal & values, and yet run a successful, sustainable business.

well said.  I find it terribly frustrating to hear old time sugarbush skiers lamenting the increased crowds over the last decade.  They complain about the new lodges/condos. sure I'm nostalgic for the end of the ASC days when nobody was there and it was our own private playground.  It was better for me.  But the resort was losing money and that can only continue for so long.  The owners are entitled to make a reasonable return, and more importantly, have resources to improve the snow making system, grooming and lifts, etc.  and the community relies on the resort as its economic engine so growth is vital to the entire valley.  

The funny thing is those who complain have an alternative right up the road.  they can get a pass to MRG.  But MRG doesnt open often until after new years, conditions are often "challenging" because of limited snowmaking/grooming and on weekend powder days the lifts are inadequate.

well said.  I find it terribly frustrating to hear old time sugarbush skiers lamenting the increased crowds over the last decade.  They complain about the new lodges/condos. sure I'm nostalgic for the end of the ASC days when nobody was there and it was our own private playground.  It was better for me.  But the resort was losing money and that can only continue for so long.  The owners are entitled to make a reasonable return, and more importantly, have resources to improve the snow making system, grooming and lifts, etc.  and the community relies on the resort as its economic engine so growth is vital to the entire valley.  

The funny thing is those who complain have an alternative right up the road.  they can get a pass to MRG.  But MRG doesnt open often until after new years, conditions are often "challenging" because of limited snowmaking/grooming and on weekend powder days the lifts are inadequate.

That's the age old problem...crowds bring money, people hate crowds.  You can control crowds through higher price points, but people hate expensive or rising ticket prices.  Ski areas need money for capital improvements to stay competitive...new lifts or at least regular maintenance like new motor drives and such, new snowmaking guns/pipes/pumps to allow the mountain to achieve its terrain goals early season, and to resurface throughout the year, you need $300,000+ snowcats to adequately groom terrain like your competitors.  The list goes on and on.

When mother nature cooperates, not a lot of this matters as the conditions are going to be good and most terrain will be open.  Lifts are really the only key thing that needs to work regardless of if there's good snow or bad snow.  If a lift doesn't spin, the ski area doesn't make money, people can't physically do what they came to do (ski).  Its when Mother Nature doesn't cooperate that the infrastructure really shines between certain resorts and the smaller ski areas.

Sugarbush has been doing a make-over lately, and personally I think they've done a great job with it.  They are raising Sugarbush's status in the ski world.  I've heard some of the Sugarbush skiers biatching (like you said) over increased crowds...but then they complain about certain lifts not working like they should last season.  Well, the crowds coming are going to allow Win to purchase what he needs to keep the lifts up-to-date...and 5 years ago when people were wondering early season why Sugarbush isn't skiing top-to-bottom while most other areas are, those crowds are helping to fund all the new snowmaking that allows for earlier, more extensive skiing. 

At some point the crowds will continue to build, and then pricing will go up to either A) keep the crowds in check and B) pay for even better capital improvement projects to satisfy the needs of the growing customer base.

The model that most skiers and riders want is the great infrastructure with reliable lifts and snowmaking for when nature doesn't cooperate, low crowds, and cheap tickets.  You will be very hard pressed to find a place that satisfies all three of those...its pretty much impossible...and if that place existed, it would immediately be over-run by crowds lol.

The model that most skiers and riders want is the great infrastructure with reliable lifts and snowmaking for when nature doesn't cooperate, low crowds, and cheap tickets.  You will be very hard pressed to find a place that satisfies all three of those...its pretty much impossible...and if that place existed, it would immediately be over-run by crowds lol.

That's a picture of the old two-out-of-three paradigm.  We want things fast (or soon), good, and cheap, but will get at most two of those (if that.)

That's the age old problem...crowds bring money, people hate crowds.  You can control crowds through higher price points, but people hate expensive or rising ticket prices.  Ski areas need money for capital improvements to stay competitive...new lifts or at least regular maintenance like new motor drives and such, new snowmaking guns/pipes/pumps to allow the mountain to achieve its terrain goals early season, and to resurface throughout the year, you need $300,000+ snowcats to adequately groom terrain like your competitors.  The list goes on and on.

When mother nature cooperates, not a lot of this matters as the conditions are going to be good and most terrain will be open.  Lifts are really the only key thing that needs to work regardless of if there's good snow or bad snow.  If a lift doesn't spin, the ski area doesn't make money, people can't physically do what they came to do (ski).  Its when Mother Nature doesn't cooperate that the infrastructure really shines between certain resorts and the smaller ski areas.

Sugarbush has been doing a make-over lately, and personally I think they've done a great job with it.  They are raising Sugarbush's status in the ski world.  I've heard some of the Sugarbush skiers biatching (like you said) over increased crowds...but then they complain about certain lifts not working like they should last season.  Well, the crowds coming are going to allow Win to purchase what he needs to keep the lifts up-to-date...and 5 years ago when people were wondering early season why Sugarbush isn't skiing top-to-bottom while most other areas are, those crowds are helping to fund all the new snowmaking that allows for earlier, more extensive skiing. 

At some point the crowds will continue to build, and then pricing will go up to either A) keep the crowds in check and B) pay for even better capital improvement projects to satisfy the needs of the growing customer base.

2 things-first, as Yogi Berra said, nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

second-I have no issue with local ownership making decisions for the long term good of the resort and the community.  Are they going to make mistakes?  absolutely.  They are human and they are not always going to get it right.  I would only complain if management was treating the mtn as a cash cow and sucking it dry.  I have complete confidence that Win and co. have the right intentions

2 things-first, as Yogi Berra said, nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

second-I have no issue with local ownership making decisions for the long term good of the resort and the community.  Are they going to make mistakes?  absolutely.  They are human and they are not always going to get it right.  I would only complain if management was treating the mtn as a cash cow and sucking it dry.  I have complete confidence that Win and co. have the right intentions

Yeah long-term viability is key as you said... that's where capital improvements come in. 

And I'm not sure how anyone could use a ski resort as a cash cow, lol.  Even the highest level resorts aren't striking gold by any means.  Stowe lost money all through the 1990s from what I've heard, and only started operating in the black in like the last 10-15 years when they started the massive infrastructure improvements that increased the reliability of the product, as well as increased their market share.  VT skier days are generally flat (that's not really a good thing), but resorts are always fighting to increase their market share.  What they teach you in business school is right...put money into it to get money out of it.

http://www.vnews.com...in-west-windsor

West Windsor might purchase Ascutney.  Let's hope so.  It probably won't be reopened officially as a resort, but they are going to maintain it for use meaning the skinning should be prime.

attachicon.gif20140209_ascutney1.png

Yeah that is great news...hopefully someone can maintain those trails. 

Yeah that is great news...hopefully someone can maintain those trails. 

That place has some really good terrain, unfortunately it's not in a prime spot for snow.  But even 120"/yr can provide some quality turns on the right day.   It is starting to get a little hairy in places and could use a brush hog.  If they fix up and operate the lodge for some minimal level of service, throw some music on and cook burgers it will make for an awesome afternoon.  There was a lot of AT traffic last year even, groups of longhaireds with their hounds in tow. 

That place has some really good terrain, unfortunately it's not in a prime spot for snow.  But even 120"/yr can provide some quality turns on the right day.   It is starting to get a little hairy in places and could use a brush hog.  If they fix up and operate the lodge for some minimal level of service, throw some music on and cook burgers it will make for an awesome afternoon.  There was a lot of AT traffic last year even, groups of longhaireds with their hounds in tow. 

I dont they purchased the mtn with any intention of reviving lift served skiing.  If anything, its for the mtn biking and hiking trails.

I dont they purchased the mtn with any intention of reviving lift served skiing. If anything, its for the mtn biking and hiking trails.

Correct... it says that right in the article in fact. But I don't think that precludes some mowing on the slopes, in fact I'd be surprised if they didn't.

That place has some really good terrain, unfortunately it's not in a prime spot for snow. But even 120"/yr can provide some quality turns on the right day. It is starting to get a little hairy in places and could use a brush hog. If they fix up and operate the lodge for some minimal level of service, throw some music on and cook burgers it will make for an awesome afternoon. There was a lot of AT traffic last year even, groups of longhaireds with their hounds in tow.

Yeah they are in a good interior not'easter spot.

I've been up there and its crazy.  It feels like you must be on another planet.  No snow when I was there.

We are just getting into that cool time frame when it starts to make sense to speculate when and who will start blowing snow in the next four weeks.

Looking at the extended temp forecasts there isn't much reason to start any time soon, even for Killington and Sunday River.  I did see a three day stretch with cool nights for the mountains at the end of next week but it warms up again after that.  If you can recall last year we had a really great November for low temp nights.  I was on the hill a few days in November at Bretton Woods and had a blast.

Hopefully as we turn the corner into the end of the month we see some temp anomaly changes.

PS: Is there a thread around here with instructions on how to set up a webcam weather monitoring station?  I'm hoping to set one up for my ski house rental  :)

I've been up there and its crazy.  It feels like you must be on another planet.  No snow when I was there.

We are just getting into that cool time frame when it starts to make sense to speculate when and who will start blowing snow in the next four weeks.

Looking at the extended temp forecasts there isn't much reason to start any time soon, even for Killington and Sunday River.  I did see a three day stretch with cool nights for the mountains at the end of next week but it warms up again after that.  If you can recall last year we had a really great November for low temp nights.  I was on the hill a few days in November at Bretton Woods and had a blast.

Hopefully as we turn the corner into the end of the month we see some temp anomaly changes.

Yeah I see nothing that would make one immediately jump into snowmaking production...though its actually about time for Killington and Sunday River.  They've gotta be itching to make snow.

Stowe usually uses November 1st as sort of an "unofficial" date to start making snow...history shows that prior to that date its generally not worth it when aiming for a November 22nd opening date.  Though the past couple years we've done a seasons pass holders only day the week before, so if possible we'd like to be skiing/riding on the 15th for pass holders.

Yeah I see nothing that would make one immediately jump into snowmaking production...though its actually about time for Killington and Sunday River. They've gotta be itching to make snow.

Stowe usually uses November 1st as sort of an "unofficial" date to start making snow...history shows that prior to that date its generally not worth it when aiming for a November 22nd opening date. Though the past couple years we've done a seasons pass holders only day the week before, so if possible we'd like to be skiing/riding on the 15th for pass holders.

End of Oct. 2000, opening day at Stowe with like 6-8" fresh IIRC... (not a given in those days).

End of Oct. 2000, opening day at Stowe with like 6-8" fresh IIRC... (not a given in those days).

Wow, I honestly never knew this place ran a chairlift in October...I don't think anyone working here does either or it's never been mentioned.

My favorite opening day was Killington in like October 2005 following hurricane Wilma dropping like 3 feet of snow. They opened all the terrain they could on natural snow. Skiing powder on a solid base all through the Superstar trail pod, the Canyon area, all of Snowdon...none of it groomed or even making snow. Just 3 feet of natural dense storm snow and if you could get to it off the K1, it was open and fair game.

Killington has it's guns and hoses in place in the Northridge area and they ready to hook up and turn on. This picture is from last Sunday. It looks like temps will support snowmaking Sunday/Monday. It's possible we see lift served skiing later next week. Last year Killington opened on 10/23 I believe. The year before was 10/13. They have publicly stated within the past two weeks a goal of opening in October if possible. It won't be long.post-6421-0-17514400-1413423218_thumb.jp

Archived