Weathernoob335
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best time of year Dave,bar none

Sort of depressing in a way though. All this snow and no one out there

Plus I think I pulled a muscle in my stomach. Last week I skied a place I never had before on that hill

Same today but it might have been off limits...no rope but orange and black poles...oh well

I also did not go into the trees this time after this weekends oopsie

Sort of depressing in a way though. All this snow and no one out there

Plus I think I pulled a muscle in my stomach. Last week I skied a place I never had before on that hill

Same today but it might have been off limits...no rope but orange and black poles...oh well

I also did not go into the trees this time after this weekends oopsie

funny I think I did too. Once the adrenaline wore off man am I sore

Are you up there Diane? If so that's awesome. I haven't made the haul since 07/08 but am considering doing it in April.

no, not up there...i had made it a goal to get up there this year...but, haven't made that happen...yet...there's always hope until the last mountain closes for the season

Hit WaWa after work for 10 runs. Place was empty yet 100% open. I focused on some of the smaller things that will probably shut down first

Each ride on the lift I sat alone. That was cool

Awesome pics. Those look like they could have been taken in January with all the lakes/ponds still frozen solid and decent snow cover on the countryside.

I want to get out one more time, but not sure I will be able to. I could maybe the weekend after Easter, but I don't want to go right after a rainstorm...hopefully the NNE mts get some snow that week...then bright sunshine for the weekend...I'll ski hero snow all day.

So true whiteface was the same way this weekend. Deep winter with powder at the summit, granular corn snow in the middle and just pure sloppy mashed potatoes at the base. I tired to stay up high or middle I hate mashed potatoes. What a sick sick mountain. I was super stoked on it! I love the Adirondacks in General and so did my gf. I would love to have a place up there as the drive from Long Island wasn't bad at all compared to Vermont as it's a straight shot up the thruway. I would have to say it's my favorite mountain now. The views are just insane the vert is ridiculous with cruisers galore for a boring snow boarder like myself. I'll take that over more trials and more upscale amenities any day all day

Love the addirondacks as well. It's funny, I've been to the lake placid area a dozen times but only in summer. I've ridden nearly every moutain in Vermont but never get to whiteface in winter. I guess I can never convince friends to skip over VT. I do think Vermont gets more snow though.

Btw- if you want to impress your GF- stay at the whiteface lodge- or at least have dinner there.

Love the addirondacks as well. It's funny, I've been to the lake placid area a dozen times but only in summer. I've ridden nearly every moutain in Vermont but never get to whiteface in winter. I guess I can never convince friends to skip over VT. I do think Vermont gets more snow though.

Btw- if you want to impress your GF- stay at the whiteface lodge- or at least have dinner there.

You gotta do whiteface. It's the kind of place you have to take a break mid run because you're legs are burning. And yes Vermont gets more snow as the spine of the greens forces more upslope snow. Whiteface is a stand alone peak which limits upslope. It's also pretty far NW and misses allot of synoptic storms. They were below normal and it was still plenty. 4800' will get plenty of snow every year. They had six inches of powder Friday on the upper mountain and it was banging. The views alone were worth it!

We ate at the adirondack steak and seafood company and it was amazing with the adirondack brewery right there in the restaurant. That and a great hotel right on the lake and it was an epic weekend. Ill be back for sure

So true whiteface was the same way this weekend. Deep winter with powder at the summit, granular corn snow in the middle and just pure sloppy mashed potatoes at the base. I tired to stay up high or middle I hate mashed potatoes. What a sick sick mountain. I was super stoked on it! I love the Adirondacks in General and so did my gf. I would love to have a place up there as the drive from Long Island wasn't bad at all compared to Vermont as it's a straight shot up the thruway. I would have to say it's my favorite mountain now. The views are just insane the vert is ridiculous with cruisers galore for a boring snow boarder like myself. I'll take that over more trials and more upscale amenities any day all day

You've caught the bug :) It's a pretty special place when it's on, and it sounds like you got to experience it on one of those days. Missed it a lot this winter after skiing 40 days a season for five years there, the Boyne trio are awesome in their own right but it's a totally different experience. Hurts not renewing my pass for next season but it's just not cost effective to have two and I barely broke even on ORDA this winter so unfortunately all good things must come to an end...

Best time of year Dave,bar none

Absolutely. 

Couple of shots from Sunday at Loon, was having too much fun to stop to take photos so unfortunately the quality is suboptimal but what a beautiful spring day. 

post-8652-0-12711500-1427773505_thumb.jp

post-8652-0-21328100-1427773506_thumb.jp

My fellow ski/ride buddies and weather enthusiasts, I'm considering a ski trip this weekend. Options are Hunter Mt, Southern VT ski resorts, Gore, Kmart/Pico, Sugarbush, Stowe, Bolton, Smuggs. Leaning towards Pico ($25 tickets if you bring 3 canned goods) I don't want to ski in the rain on Sat am. Are all those areas a safe bet for a nice snow event late tomorrow night into Sat? Who has the best chance at like a 10" powder day on Sat? Any info or educated guesses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

My fellow ski/ride buddies and weather enthusiasts, I'm considering a ski trip this weekend. Options are Hunter Mt, Southern VT ski resorts, Gore, Kmart/Pico, Sugarbush, Stowe, Bolton, Smuggs. Leaning towards Pico ($25 tickets if you bring 3 canned goods) I don't want to ski in the rain on Sat am. Are all those areas a safe bet for a nice snow event late tomorrow night into Sat? Who has the best chance at like a 10" powder day on Sat? Any info or educated guesses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

Forget the powdah idea. Greens from Killington north will have fresh snow to ski tomorrow and winds look a bit more tame there then in the white mtns of NH.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I'n thinking I might skip this weekend and go next weekend.

If the weather cooperates this coming week...I may take advantage of the $19 lift tickets at Bolton Valley next weekend.

If the weather cooperates this coming week...I may take advantage of the $19 lift tickets at Bolton Valley next weekend.

I know they're practically giving the lift tickets away at this point! Near full coverage (including trees) in April at bargain prices gets me excited. I love a good deal! I've skied legit powder in the trees at Jay Peak years ago about mid April. It was amazing. They had tons of snow andI had a group "private" lesson for $35. Instructor/guide took me to all the secret stashes in the woods. I think they call it "the dip" if my memory serves me correctly. I used to pay for a service by Met Jim Romer called "Best Ski Weather" who would give the inside scoop at least a week in advance. I don't think he posts here. Anyway, let's hope the Spine gets spanked the next few weeks and end the ski season with a bang.

-Jason

Get ready to enjoy all 8-10 trails. If you can deal with that it will very worth while.

They do get a ton of snow though... its Green Mountain Spine high elevation west slope snowfall for a cheap price.  Base elevation of 2,100ft helps too this time of year.  Like I only had 1.5" at the base of Stowe because it was 1,500ft where Bolton is showing 3" at the base because they are over 2000ft.  That type of stuff helps this time of year.

Yeah...I used to go there a while back. Not too far a drive and plenty of terrain. Liftopia tix for under $50

Considered BEast but he has been there a couple of times...same with Sunapee. Okemo is only 2 hours

beast is closed I think, much more to explore, Jackson Gore is fun too

Archived