• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Yeah they could use a good snow dumping as you could tell it had been a while on the wind-exposed areas. That back of North Peak on Quantam Leap had also gotten quite thin in general....but 90-95% of the trails were in excellent shape...including the Oz Glade runs. Still pretty powdery in there and very good cover despite no big snows recently.

SR looks primed I think though coming up...they'll probably do well this weekend and have several chances after that. Hopefully you get another 14" snow bomb like last year while you are up there, lol...I came up 2 days after that one and was the best skiing I've had in the past several years...snowpack had reached epic depths.

Nice,yea Quantam leap gets scoured and with that western exposure melts out. Feel pretty good about things then again I have never had a bad time no matter the conditions

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most in SNE (not all) have only a pretty vague idea of what it takes for NNE MTNS to have a "good" year. I mean unless you follow it closely, they almost always do much better than SNE (MQE this year not withstanding) and that seems to be taken as "they are good" when that's not the case sometimes.  Seems many would be surprised to see Sugarloaf/Bretton Woods significantly below average with annual snowfall and Water in pack. Nobody is saying they are struggling like CALI , but it seems most SNE CP folks don't look to deeply at VT/NH/ME MTNS climo. PF , you obviously know this but N greens have much less variance as % of annual snowfall than NH/MAINE mtns which get a much higher % from Synoptic snowfall events (yes we know Cannon/Bretton woods/SR/SL get some upslope, but annually it doesn't hold a candle to the Northern Greens annual upslope and thus why they are more prone to bigger negative departures in snowfall and Liquid in Pack.

That upslope machine turned on last night and we got a surprise 10".  Probably 1/3" of QPF to that 10" of snow, haha.

Incredible skiing and riding out there.  I'll have much better photos later but here's a cell phone pic for now.

Was at SR this weekend for 2 days....great conditions all around. Saturday was awesome with the sun all day long and temps just below freezing....today was a bit cooler with clouds and weenie flakes most of the day.

Not spring corn yet at all, but solid packed powder conditions. I did encounter a few patches of ice on the exposed wind-scoured spots...owing to the lack of a big snow dump there in the past 2+ weeks....but that is a nitpick in an otherwise excellent weekend.

Similar to how Okemo was yesterday weenie flakes pretty much all day with pockets of sun here and there. Overall, conditions were great. Felt more like Dec or early Jan than early March. And you're right Spring skiing hasn't even begun yet. Had a great day. 

Next trip, Sunapee on Friday. 

Powderfreak i was about to post that same exact point earlier today as i had your first post w/ 10" amounts quoted . One of few places a adult wx weenie can still re-live that child like (waking up and see how much fell ) curiosity. Every year there are a handful of events like that, probably will not get old.

Nice pics PF! Fun what a day means in March.

Today, 48F at Owl's Head, spring bumps, spring sticky snow in the sun, powder skiing N facing slopes.  If anyone hasn't made, check the place out. $20 Tues and Thursdays, no crowds mid week. Fun skiing hill.

Bumps, to woods, to  bumps, to the lake, repeat...

DSCN0451.jpg

Even the su bois have views to enjoy...

DSCN0452.jpg

A different angle of home...

DSCN0449.jpg

Hey Guys, I also just posted this in the main storm disco thread. I'm trying to squeeze in a ski day this Saturday. Thinking Killington or Gore. (Long drive from LI) But I'd rather not ski in the rain. Do you think I'm good above 2000FT for Sat? (I don't think I can ski Sunday - other family stuff going on). I know I'd prolly have to wait for the rest of the 0z suite to come in, but any thoughts on Sat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Hey Guys, I also just posted this in the main storm disco thread. I'm trying to squeeze in a ski day this Saturday. Thinking Killington or Gore. (Long drive from LI) But I'd rather not ski in the rain. Do you think I'm good above 2000FT for Sat? (I don't think I can ski Sunday - other family stuff going on). I know I'd prolly have to wait for the rest of the 0z suite to come in, but any thoughts on Sat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Sat looks like at least some rain at Killington

Nice pics PF! Fun what a day means in March.

Today, 48F at Owl's Head, spring bumps, spring sticky snow in the sun, powder skiing N facing slopes. If anyone hasn't made, check the place out. $20 Tues and Thursdays, no crowds mid week. Fun skiing hill.

Bumps, to woods, to bumps, to the lake, repeat...

DSCN0451.jpg

Even the su bois have views to enjoy...

DSCN0452.jpg

A different angle of home...

DSCN0449.jpg

I've always wanted to try there. Have heard they have some great snow and terrain.

I just got back from Bolton (as they got power back) and the Timberline side was icy but it was in much better shape on the Wilderness and Vista side (still pretty hard packed though). They definitely could use a good refresher to keep the season halfway decent through the end. February definitely saw the best conditions.

Plattekill. Save the drive time and the $$.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Plattekill. Save the drive time and the $$.

Actually I skilled Plattekill back in February. I think I paid $42 for the lift ticket On liftopia. Been there on a number of occasions. Great "anti-resort" mountain. Love the old school feel of the place. The conditions were really good and 100% of the mountain was open. I've decided to pass skiing tomorrow as pretty much everyone within 5-6 hrs drive of LI gets rain. I'll try to go next weekend!

To remain good they would have to be good in the first place.

Groomers are good. Ungroomed not so much.

All temp dependent this time of year. Luckily the bulk of the rain today will miss south of up here, and NOAA has 4-8" in the forecast tonight and tomorrow in the Northern Greens.

Groomers are good. Ungroomed not so much.

All temp dependent this time of year. Luckily the bulk of the rain today will miss south of up here, and NOAA has 4-8" in the forecast tonight and tomorrow in the Northern Greens.

Yeah - a couple of snow chances this week. I imagine the ungroomed stuff is like a glacier lol

Yeah - a couple of snow chances this week. I imagine the ungroomed stuff is like a glacier lol

Haha yeah for the most part... however the upper third of the mountain really is almost "good" on the ungroomed stuff.  It didn't warm up as much up there and most of Mansfield's terrain faces east so it doesn't get baked in the afternoon sun...the net effect is something still resembling a good ungroomed surface up high.  It steadily deteriorates though as you head down from there...with "variable" the best way to describe the bottom two-thirds of the ungroomed trails, lol.

Archived