joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ventured back to the Firetower at the summit of Bolton today and the snowpack in the woods was incredible. It was over my head as it is an area no snowboarder or skier can go.

11025276_10102486945982229_1711452278991

Oh and here are a few shots looking north, east, and west from the Firetower:

10996470_10102486946037119_9733115769424

11052445_10102487026735399_7173276617729

10903988_10102486946057079_6645489618116

Skied Pico over the weekend. Conditions were fantastic. With all the powder days, I haven't been doing as much dedicated mogul skiing (more trees), but this weekend was the exception. Summit Glade and Giant Killer were in amazing shape with virtually no ice even in the deepest troughs. My wife and I just kept lapping Summit Glade to Sunset Woods. Summit Glade reminds me a bit of Chin Clip, with is one of my all-time favorite bump runs.

As for skiing while aging, I ski a lot with two friends who are in their mid 60s. All we do are bumps and trees. They keep up with me no problem (in fact, I have to chase them through the trees). We're all a bit creaky at the end of the day, but not so much we can't start fresh in the morning. Staying active off the slopes is the key for me. I'm a better and much more robust skier now than when I was 20 (I'm in my 40s).

I actually find bump skiing easier on the legs than groomers, though more demanding on the heart and lungs (in a good way). Nothing makes my legs burn more than skiing down a firm groomer at speed, though I'm not a particularly distinguished groomed snow skier.

I laughed when I read this. Skied Pico Friday-Monday last weekend. I could have written the same post. Summit glade is my favorite trail anywhere and why I hope they never ruin it by trying to connect to Killington. It would break my heart. I also find bumps easier then groomed. Late 40's and 51 days in so far this year. Best part of the season starts now as March and April rule. Hopefully we will ski in June this year. Long live the Superstar glacier!!

It is...this is one of my favorite times of year.

There's something about slamming soft bump runs all day in the sunshine and 40-degree temps. Infuses the soul with energy to be on the mountain during a beautiful spring day with deep snowpack.

This is always a tough time  of the year for me.  With my schedule, it is easy for me to get up in the dark and knock off a few early AM powder runs. Its much harder for me to grab sunny warm laps....they don't happen at 6:30 am!! 

Good thing the GFS says don't worry ...none of those are in your future.

went up to the NH alpine ysterday....with all the cold temps the snow that has fallen up there was a dry powdery snow. It has not stuck around. Every flake above treeline has been blasted somewhere else....like Concord. Whoa. Is it thin up there. 

went up to the NH alpine ysterday....with all the cold temps the snow that has fallen up there was a dry powdery snow. It has not stuck around. Every flake above treeline has been blasted somewhere else....like Concord. Whoa. Is it thin up there.

Couple the general lack of snowfall to the point of being below normal now, and the stuff that has fallen in the past two months has been fluff, plus several pretty serious wind storms (the snow may have missed to the SE but the wind didn't)...and we have a weak snowpack for spring skiing in the Whites.

Even here, while there's 80" on the ground, the SWE is only 18-19". A couple years ago similar snow depths were registering 25-27" of liquid at the end of March (I think 2012-2013). So we have some work to do this month to get that liquid content in there. At 235" at 3000ft we also have quite a bit of work to get to the 315" average of the last 17 years.

I also just saw an ad that said Sugarloaf has received over 11 feet of snow this season...and I was thinking only that much? Somewhere probably in the 132-144" range? Its always hard to tell because it seems most areas in NH/ME don't list their seasonal snowfall on a daily basis. But if that's the case, Blue Hill, MA has gotten the same amount of snow as Sugarloaf's upper elevations, which has to be quite rare.

Hoping to get Thursday off this week to head to WaWa.

Only been once this year and it was back in mid Jan before we started to get the snow blitz....

Nearly impossible to find time with work/classes and just life in general lol

Order tix ahead online and save big bucks

I spoke to one if the owners and she confirmed April 12 closing plus possibility of weekends after that

This is always a tough time  of the year for me.  With my schedule, it is easy for me to get up in the dark and knock off a few early AM powder runs. Its much harder for me to grab sunny warm laps....they don't happen at 6:30 am!! 

Good thing the GFS says don't worry ...none of those are in your future.

I was wondering how the Wildcat area was doing with pack

Couple the general lack of snowfall to the point of being below normal now, and the stuff that has fallen in the past two months has been fluff, plus several pretty serious wind storms (the snow may have missed to the SE but the wind didn't)...and we have a weak snowpack for spring skiing in the Whites.

Even here, while there's 80" on the ground, the SWE is only 18-19". A couple years ago similar snow depths were registering 25-27" of liquid at the end of March (I think 2012-2013). So we have some work to do this month to get that liquid content in there. At 235" at 3000ft we also have quite a bit of work to get to the 315" average of the last 17 years.

I also just saw an ad that said Sugarloaf has received over 11 feet of snow this season...and I was thinking only that much? Somewhere probably in the 132-144" range? Its always hard to tell because it seems most areas in NH/ME don't list their seasonal snowfall on a daily basis. But if that's the case, Blue Hill, MA has gotten the same amount of snow as Sugarloaf's upper elevations, which has to be quite rare.

I think most in SNE (not all) have only a pretty vague idea of what it takes for NNE MTNS to have a "good" year. I mean unless you follow it closely, they almost always do much better than SNE (MQE this year not withstanding) and that seems to be taken as "they are good" when that's not the case sometimes.  Seems many would be surprised to see Sugarloaf/Bretton Woods significantly below average with annual snowfall and Water in pack. Nobody is saying they are struggling like CALI , but it seems most SNE CP folks don't look to deeply at VT/NH/ME MTNS climo. PF , you obviously know this but N greens have much less variance as % of annual snowfall than NH/MAINE mtns which get a much higher % from Synoptic snowfall events (yes we know Cannon/Bretton woods/SR/SL get some upslope, but annually it doesn't hold a candle to the Northern Greens annual upslope and thus why they are more prone to bigger negative departures in snowfall and Liquid in Pack.

I think most in SNE (not all) have only a pretty vague idea of what it takes for NNE MTNS to have a "good" year. I mean unless you follow it closely, they almost always do much better than SNE (MQE this year not withstanding) and that seems to be taken as "they are good" when that's not the case sometimes. Seems many would be surprised to see Sugarloaf/Bretton Woods significantly below average with annual snowfall and Water in pack. Nobody is saying they are struggling like CALI , but it seems most CP folks don't look to deeply at NNE MTNS climo.

depths at MANSFIELD are above normal,skiing has been good, who cares if w-e is low. Besides their meat and potatoes season just started

Was at SR this weekend for 2 days....great conditions all around. Saturday was awesome with the sun all day long and temps just below freezing....today was a bit cooler with clouds and weenie flakes most of the day.

Not spring corn yet at all, but solid packed powder conditions. I did encounter a few patches of ice on the exposed wind-scoured spots...owing to the lack of a big snow dump there in the past 2+ weeks....but that is a nitpick in an otherwise excellent weekend.

Was at SR this weekend for 2 days....great conditions all around. Saturday was awesome with the sun all day long and temps just below freezing....today was a bit cooler with clouds and weenie flakes most of the day.

Not spring corn yet at all, but solid packed powder conditions. I did encounter a few patches of ice on the exposed wind-scoured spots...owing to the lack of a big snow dump there in the past 2+ weeks....but that is a nitpick in an otherwise excellent weekend.

nice Will,good times, 7 days up there starting the 22nd,looks like the pattern precludes any rainers

nice Will,good times, 7 days up there starting the 22nd,looks like the pattern precludes any rainers

Yeah they could use a good snow dumping as you could tell it had been a while on the wind-exposed areas. That back of North Peak on Quantam Leap had also gotten quite thin in general....but 90-95% of the trails were in excellent shape...including the Oz Glade runs. Still pretty powdery in there and very good cover despite no big snows recently.

SR looks primed I think though coming up...they'll probably do well this weekend and have several chances after that. Hopefully you get another 14" snow bomb like last year while you are up there, lol...I came up 2 days after that one and was the best skiing I've had in the past several years...snowpack had reached epic depths.

Archived