• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Although I think JSpin ran the numbers once and found no real change in the COOP's numbers between decades, but it's sort of a crapshoot what they come in with as density and wind play a factor in collection of each event.

I think we'll do good this year...no reason to doubt it at all. Lots of powder will be skied.

This led me to update my Mansfield co-op data, which pretty much confirms this if one skips over the oddly-low partial decade of the 50s. The 2010s are less than halfway thru, jury's still out.

1960s....203.7

1970s....252.5

1980s....200.0

1990s....228.3

2000s....259.7

2010s....198.4

Didn't run stats, but I'd guess that there's no sig difference among the decades.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mountains usually do alright, especially for the amount of b'tching I did last winter, lol.

Since I've been at Stowe, I've seen upper mountain snowfall range from 211" (2011-2012), to 374" (06-07, and 07-08). We've had a little run of below normal winters with 4 of the last 5 years failing to hit the 300" mark. Only 2010-2011 has done it lately.

I'm torn between thinking we are due for a solid 300+ winter, but I'm also objective to know that 2000-2010 was the snowiest decade at BTV since 1882, and that likely translated to the mountain as well so it may skew our opinions to think its a poor winter if it doesn't snow 340".

Although I think JSpin ran the numbers once and found no real change in the COOP's numbers between decades, but it's sort of a crapshoot what they come in with as density and wind play a factor in collection of each event.

I think we'll do good this year...no reason to doubt it at all. Lots of powder will be skied.

I hadn’t run the averages for Mt. Mansfield co-op snowfall by decade, but I did that now since you mentioned it:

Period  Mean

55-14    207.8”

1950s   157.8”

1960s   213.1”

1970s   248.8”

1980s   180.1”

1990s   225.8”

2000s   218.3”

2010s   164.1”

The 2000s were a bit above average, but not up to the level of the 1970s or 1990s.  This decade has definitely been in the basement so far though, with all of the seasons below average.  The only decade with a lower seasonal average was the 1950s, and that’s from the very beginnings of the co-op site and only a partial decade data set (four seasons).  It is important to note that this decade only has four seasons of data so far as well, so things may yet change with respect to the 2010s.

We indeed appear to be either “due” for some above average seasons to support recovery to average, or this decade is going to go down as the lowest in the data set.  From the plotted data one can see that this decade thus far represents the most pronounced “dip” in snowfall since that one in the mid/late 80s into the early 90s:

22AUG14A.jpg

There definitely appears to be a decadal pattern to Mansfield's snowfall. It'sd a bit out of synch with our totals down in central and southern New England...but given the elevation there, it matters more how wet it is versus other stuff.

I always enjoy this thread. We were in CO for July 4th. My son went to ski camp at Copper Mtn and skied July 1st - 3rd. It was neat watching the kids ski in July. They had plenty of snow as well... they're masters at moving snow. We drove to Breck and they were still skiing there as well.

That being said, my ski season will be a short one as i'm going in for rotator cuff surgery on 9/4 and won't be able to ski until Feb or March if at all this season.

Are you getting your data from a different site Tamarack?

Maybe there are some serious omissions of data at SkiVT-L?

Mine came from the Utah Climate Center.  The two lists are fairly close for 60s, 70s, 90s, and quite far apart for 80s, 00s, 10s.  Consistency, where art thou?  (And my records are on another computer not accessible at present, so no simple way to check.)

There definitely appears to be a decadal pattern to Mansfield's snowfall. It'sd a bit out of synch with our totals down in central and southern New England...but given the elevation there, it matters more how wet it is versus other stuff.

Yeah that is interesting, I never really looked at it on a graph but there's certainly some pattern there. Low snow years come in bunches, same with high snow years, at least looking past collection issues on a rocky summit. It appears as though there's a less likely chance of going from low snow to big snow years in back-to-back seasons...it's more like a step down/up process for whatever reason, unlike lower elevation spots that seem to jump all over the place (ie BTV with 120" in 10-11, followed by like 37" in '11-12).

I would wonder what type of correlation mean temperatures might have with that pattern.

Mine came from the Utah Climate Center. The two lists are fairly close for 60s, 70s, 90s, and quite far apart for 80s, 00s, 10s. Consistency, where art thou? (And my records are on another computer not accessible at present, so no simple way to check.)

The poster Nittany may be able to shed some light if he can see what WFO BTV has for their official records, although I don't think he stops into the ski thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a lurker check in... love this thread... after numerous brutal 8 hour round day trips to PF's locale, am booking a week in March.  Had always been partial to the mad river valley, but the more I poke around stowe, the more I like it.  Looking forward to it.  Will still do the mrv, but the extended stay this year is wagons north...

Time for a lurker check in... love this thread... after numerous brutal 8 hour round day trips to PF's locale, am booking a week in March. Had always been partial to the mad river valley, but the more I poke around stowe, the more I like it. Looking forward to it. Will still do the mrv, but the extended stay this year is wagons north...

Nice bring your wallet

Time for a lurker check in... love this thread... after numerous brutal 8 hour round day trips to PF's locale, am booking a week in March.  Had always been partial to the mad river valley, but the more I poke around stowe, the more I like it.  Looking forward to it.  Will still do the mrv, but the extended stay this year is wagons north...

Let me know when you come up, could give you a little locals tour if it works out.

am I lying?

No, you just like to point that out.  Stowe's $98 peak lift ticket should never be paid anyway...but its $12 more than Sunday River.  If you use your smart phone from the ticket line at Stowe to buy online (which the ticket seller often will advise you to do) its $84, which puts it in the same range as a very large portion of New England ski resorts.

But we don't need to rehash this again, lol.  Its a bit more expensive, but there are ways around it, just like there are ways around paying walk-up at any ski resort.  Heck Disney costs over $100 per day too, and there you get to wait in 45 minute lines, lol.

No, you just like to point that out. Stowe's $98 peak lift ticket should never be paid anyway...but its $12 more than Sunday River. If you use your smart phone from the ticket line at Stowe to buy online (which the ticket seller often will advise you to do) its $84, which puts it in the same range as a very large portion of New England ski resorts.

well it's more than just a ticket, its the slopeside lodging, the food prices. Don't get me wrong the skiing is top notch but the prices are as steep as the snow is deep. I know you marketing types spin things but us experienced consumers, like Blizz 24 says, know something's. Let me know when Stowe has a 399 slope side 5 day ski and stay package I will be there in a heartbeat.

well it's more than just a ticket, its the slopeside lodging, the food prices. Don't get me wrong the skiing is top notch but the prices are as steep as the snow is deep. I know you marketing types spin things but us experienced consumers, like Blizz 24 says, know something's. Let me know when Stowe has a 399 slope side 5 day ski and stay package I will be there in a heartbeat.

Yeah that deal you find in the spring is something else.  I'll let ya know.  You can stay in Stowe pretty cheap if you find the right property though...like where Blizz stayed during soccer tourny weekend.  Since Stowe is state land mostly, the slopeside lodging is limited, thus driving prices through supply and demand.  But there are enough lodges and inns around here for all price ranges...its not just all $300+ per night.  Heck stay at the Best Western in Waterbury for real cheap and hit Stowe/Jay/Sugarbush/MRG.

Yeah that deal you find in the spring is something else. I'll let ya know. You can stay in Stowe pretty cheap if you find the right property though...like where Blizz stayed during soccer tourny weekend. Since Stowe is state land mostly, the slopeside lodging is limited, thus driving prices through supply and demand. But there are enough lodges and inns around here for all price ranges...its not just all $300+ per night. Heck stay at the Best Western in Waterbury for real cheap and hit Stowe/Jay/Sugarbush/MRG.

yea there are options, I am coming up this year at some point probably late Feb early March, depends on what happens at work with all the layoffs. I may have ample ski time this winter.

yea there are options, I am coming up this year at some point probably late Feb early March, depends on what happens at work with all the layoffs. I may have ample ski time this winter.

As always let me know if you do...I usually save my comp tickets for family but also get a slew of 50% off coupons. For someone like you I've known on the boards for years and years I'd hook something up.

Yeah that deal you find in the spring is something else.  I'll let ya know.  You can stay in Stowe pretty cheap if you find the right property though...like where Blizz stayed during soccer tourny weekend.  Since Stowe is state land mostly, the slopeside lodging is limited, thus driving prices through supply and demand.  But there are enough lodges and inns around here for all price ranges...its not just all $300+ per night.  Heck stay at the Best Western in Waterbury for real cheap and hit Stowe/Jay/Sugarbush/MRG.

Are there still sleeping bag "lofts" in VT, or has skiing been gentrified beyond that?  Back in pre-history (1971), for my ski week at Glen Ellen I stayed in Waitsfield at the punningly named "Bagatelle" for $3/night.  Might be $30-$40 at today's prices.

Are there still sleeping bag "lofts" in VT, or has skiing been gentrified beyond that?  Back in pre-history (1971), for my ski week at Glen Ellen I stayed in Waitsfield at the punningly named "Bagatelle" for $3/night.  Might be $30-$40 at today's prices.

The VT State ski dorm closed down a while ago at Mansfield but I wish that was still open...sounded like fun.  Stale beer farts, ping-pong, and chilling in a communal living room with bunks off to the side. 

There are still hostels available...there's one up near Jay Peak called Grandpa Grunts Lodge that is supposed to be a "special" place, haha. 

On Mansfield you could stay at any one of the numerous huts on the mountain, lol.  Most are illegal structures so won't go into info on here...but there's bunk rooms with wood stoves out there on the mountain in a few places.

Let me know when you come up, could give you a little locals tour if it works out.

Thanks, will do.  Will have rugrats (but aggressive ones) most days... if I get part of a day free would love a little local tour!

And yes, bringing wallet-- wallet was the reason for previous aversion to longer stays.. but I have been having too much fun and my 12 yo son fell in love with the place last spring (his previous fav was castlerock at the bush.. but he likes the forerunner for quicker trips.. so he wants to split time this year)

One of the mountains should be doing a "blow the mice out" gunning photo op soon

Sunday River?

K Mart?

The Loaf?

Killington or Sunday River....and it'll depend on the type of cold shot. If it's like an H85 level driven cold then Killington's 3,000-4,000ft elevation of the Glades Triple where they make early snow will probably win the race. If it's a radiational cooling type cold increasing with height, then Sunday Rivers fan guns likely get turned on first.

Archived