Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there will be snow there into July but sherburne trail is now closed almost all the way to top therefore requiring hike out. skiing will still be strong for another couple of weeks in bowl .

Skied 4 days this week but its getting towards the end at Stowe.  This is looking up Nosedive today, where a water bar is now open but easily grass skipped over.  

Snow had a nice ground fog making it look blurry.

Up top I didn't get any good pics because of dense fog in the cloud.  The snowpack produces an incredible fog too up high this time of year.  Its like 10 feet thick hovering over the snowpack as this warm humid air sits on the remnants of last winter.

Skied 4 days this week but its getting towards the end at Stowe.  This is looking up Nosedive today, where a water bar is now open but easily grass skipped over.  

attachicon.gifMay 11B.png

Snow had a nice ground fog making it look blurry.

attachicon.gifMay11.jpg

Up top I didn't get any good pics because of dense fog in the cloud.  The snowpack produces an incredible fog too up high this time of year.  Its like 10 feet thick hovering over the snowpack as this warm humid air sits on the remnants of last winter.

Wondering if the highest peaks can pick up an inch or two in the Greens as the cold front slides though...Wednesday might have flakes flying.

Is there any natural snow left? I'm assuming there is above 3k

Yeah, its quite patchy even to the summit, varying based on aspect, exposure to sun and wind, etc.  But east and north facing slopes are still holding some cover above 3,200ft or so. 

Co-op snow depth at 3,700ft stake is 28" this afternoon.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
548 PM EDT MON MAY 11 2015

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     0.75    63  53  57   Cloudy       0.0  28

Wow awesome May pics. I had my last ski day at Killington back on April12th took a nasty spill ended up with a severe dislocated and fractured ring finger on right hand. They ended up having to break the finger to reset it and put a pin in it. Casted up until May 27th. :-( what a way to end the season. It was my 44th day out and my 2nd fall of the season. Overall, this ski season was one for the record books. Keep on carving.

Wow awesome May pics. I had my last ski day at Killington back on April12th took a nasty spill ended up with a severe dislocated and fractured ring finger on right hand. They ended up having to break the finger to reset it and put a pin in it. Casted up until May 27th. :-( what a way to end the season. It was my 44th day out and my 2nd fall of the season. Overall, this ski season was one for the record books. Keep on carving.

Good timing on the injury. Mud season is for recovery.

One of these days we will meet up at WaWa

Hope the recovery goes well

That sucks! ...but the very good news is that you don't ski with your finger, so you'll be back to 100% next season.

very cool :)

It's definitely now hiding up high on steeper slopes facing away from the sun (east/north aspects only). Pretty much in the evergreen zone now. But in that picture I showed, that brush was buried at the beginning of April. Lost probably 5 feet since then.

They are going to make snow???

Yeah I thought they didn't make snow after February...but I guess if it got cold enough this week, they could try and make some to shore up a few of the thin spots. Esp if they were trying to make it to the first weekend in June.

Yeah I thought they didn't make snow after February...but I guess if it got cold enough this week, they could try and make some to shore up a few of the thin spots. Esp if they were trying to make it to the first weekend in June.

It would be a purely marketing driven decision at this point.  Probably would make a pretty big splash in the industry if someone fired up the guns in the second half of May.  But would probably cost several thousand dollars to charge the entire system and actually go through with it.  I doubt they would...they are likely already doing summer maintenance and upgrades on the system.

It would be a purely marketing driven decision at this point.  Probably would make a pretty big splash in the industry if someone fired up the guns in the second half of May.  But would probably cost several thousand dollars to charge the entire system and actually go through with it.  I doubt they would...they are likely already doing summer maintenance and upgrades on the system.

Yeah I would guess the only reason for it would be for the marketing aspect of June skiing in New England.

I do think it is cool that they have done the really early and really late skiing again that ASC had discontinued for a while.

Yeah I would guess the only reason for it would be for the marketing aspect of June skiing in New England.

I do think it is cool that they have done the really early and really late skiing again that ASC had discontinued for a while.

I'd have to double check but I think it was after ASC that they tried to do a more "normal" schedule like Nov-Apr. The new company after ASC was the one that made a bunch of changes that pissed everyone off...like not honoring lifetime seasons passes and changing the schedule. They were business decisions that I don't think the new company really thought through with how passionate skiers and riders are, but ASC was such a financial mess that the new management had to tighten up the books.

Skivt2 could probably share the true story. The latest GM at Killington seems like he gets it.

They had lifetime passes? And then they weren't honored? Lame

It was a fairly standard practice back in the 30s, 40s, 50s while looking for investors of new ski resorts.... invest and we'll give you lifetime passes.  Powdr Corp was the first company I know of that tried to take those away at a ski area.  As you can expect it was sort of a PR nightmare and they recanted.

Edit: I'm not sure if they recanted.  I think the Lifetime pass holders lost in court now that I'm googling it.

Archived