Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AP | 03.26.15 | 5:44 AM

NEWRY, Maine (AP) — Resort officials say a skier has died in an accident on an expert trail at the Sunday River ski area in Maine.

Police say 35-year-old Benjamin Taylor of Bethel fell and went off the double black diamond Black Hole trail and into the trees at about 11 a.m. Wednesday. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said Taylor was an employee of Sunday River, but was not working at the time. A spokeswoman for the Newry resort said he was wearing a helmet and was with friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I scored a nice deal for whiteface this weekend hotel and lift under one day one night under $200. The furthest north I have been is sugar bush so I'm excited to get into some real terrain. I have been swamped with snow removal all winter and basically couldn't go. Going to stay Saturday night and ride Sunday which looks absolutely perfect in the 30s and sunny in the afternoon.

I scored a nice deal for whiteface this weekend hotel and lift under one day one night under $200. The furthest north I have been is sugar bush so I'm excited to get into some real terrain. I have been swamped with snow removal all winter and basically couldn't go. Going to stay Saturday night and ride Sunday which looks absolutely perfect in the 30s and sunny in the afternoon.

I'm jealous brother! I'm oncall this weekend so no skiing for me. One thing about Whiteface, don't let the single-diamond named trails off the summit fool you, some of those should be classified as double-diamonds. Quite steep and icy as I recall it. (I haven't been there in prolly 15 years) they don't have any trails listed as double-diamonds (not sure about "the slides" though) the views from the summit are grand and the town of Lake Placid is pretty cool too. Let's hope for some big April dumps for some cheap and deep April skiing/riding!

-Jason

NEWRY, Maine (AP) — Resort officials say a skier has died in an accident on an expert trail at the Sunday River ski area in Maine.

Police say 35-year-old Benjamin Taylor of Bethel fell and went off the double black diamond Black Hole trail and into the trees at about 11 a.m. Wednesday. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said Taylor was an employee of Sunday River, but was not working at the time. A spokeswoman for the Newry resort said he was wearing a helmet and was with friends.

Sent from my iPad

damn, this has been a remarkably deadly ski season...

I'm jealous brother! I'm oncall this weekend so no skiing for me. One thing about Whiteface, don't let the single-diamond named trails off the summit fool you, some of those should be classified as double-diamonds. Quite steep and icy as I recall it. (I haven't been there in prolly 15 years) they don't have any trails listed as double-diamonds (not sure about "the slides" though) the views from the summit are grand and the town of Lake Placid is pretty cool too. Let's hope for some big April dumps for some cheap and deep April skiing/riding!

-Jason

I have heard the whole ice face thing. Hey it's the east coast it's is what it is. I will say as a snow boarder I hate hate ice. So I'll find some nice blue cruisers and take in the views. I like the vert idea there. Usually I ride with a bunch of guys who want to "hit the park" and love mt snow. I'm over that, actually never was into it this trip is me and the girl who doesn't leave the lodge so I'm just gonna cruise around

Sent from my iPad

yea that sucked

I have heard the whole ice face thing. Hey it's the east coast it's is what it is. I will say as a snow boarder I hate hate ice. So I'll find some nice blue cruisers and take in the views. I like the vert idea there. Usually I ride with a bunch of guys who want to "hit the park" and love mt snow. I'm over that, actually never was into it this trip is me and the girl who doesn't leave the lodge so I'm just gonna cruise around

What do you mean, as a snowboarder you hate ice?

I'm assuming you surf, probably skate a longboard in between seasons? ...you need to come to my mountain, I'll introduce you to your new best friend.

http://berkshireeastbeta.webinanutshell.com/pureboard

22 lifts...  If I have to pick I'm going with epic failure here... NH version of the Big Dig.  

Let's hope I'm dead wrong.

Yeah, it's a rather ambitious plan.  Not sure how much of it comes to fruition, if any.  At a minimum, I'd like to see the hotel restored and re-opened.  That place is a gem and should not be left to waste away.

What do you mean, as a snowboarder you hate ice?

I'm assuming you surf, probably skate a longboard in between seasons? ...you need to come to my mountain, I'll introduce you to your new best friend. http://berkshireeastbeta.webinanutshell.com/pureboard

What makes you think I surf?

Of course all over the world. Snow boarding is a secondary passion and I no longer skate as I like my bones intact.

That's a hell of allot closer to the island. This weekend is a treat for me as I never make it north of the southern Vermont. Killington and sugar bush are the biggest and furthest north I have been.

What makes you think I surf?

Of course all over the world. Snow boarding is a secondary passion and I no longer skate as I like my bones intact.

That's a hell of allot closer to the island. This weekend is a treat for me as I never make it north of the southern Vermont. Killington and sugar bush are the biggest and furthest north I have been.

Well the snow quality at the 'bush/Killington will usually be better than Ice Face, but I heard the steeps at Whiteface are something brutal. 

Bolton was in fantastic shape today with fresh snow! Spring was not the word of the day above 2000 feet but with temps in the upper 20's to around freezing it was comfortable to be out there! I took these at the base area:

11103177_10102531157377239_7311229596264

10636766_10102531157412169_2138366306411

11092823_10102531157591809_1164519759081

11080782_10102531157437119_2866360738318

Sunday River week Leisurely ski down green trail Lollapalooza. Hand held my cell phone. Started out the week with -20 wind chils and hard and fast and ended up in softies. Pretty obvious winter is considered over by many as all 5 days it was ski on lifts all day and with the lifts cranking we skied a little under 150 miles .

Archived