• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

The ungroomed at elevation at Stowe wasn't that bad on thurs- better than i thought it would be after thaw freeze cycle- also had an inch of top coat- blown all over creation...all in all decent for this time of year on a day that doesn't warm.... Wasn't as fun as the days before... But it is that time of year....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm deciding whether to ski at Jay Peak or Mad RIver Glen tomorrow.  Any local info on how these two areas fared today and predictions on how they'll be skiing tomorrow?

I prefer to go to MRG, but if it's really scratchy and technical I'll drive a bit further.

Down here in Putney, VT we didn't see any signifigant precip all day long today.

I'm deciding whether to ski at Jay Peak or Mad RIver Glen tomorrow. Any local info on how these two areas fared today and predictions on how they'll be skiing tomorrow?

I prefer to go to MRG, but if it's really scratchy and technical I'll drive a bit further.

Down here in Putney, VT we didn't see any signifigant precip all day long today.

Look in the NNE thread. Ski resort totals are posted in there.

Copied from my post in the NNE thread.

It was crushing a graupully type of snow over at Sugarbush this afternoon, made for a very cool styrofoamy texture. The winds were also howling to the point of rediculousness after 2pm, holy cow. Every lift went down at 2:50 and for a good reason; Heavens Gate was rocking almost to the towers in the bigger gusts and Super Bravo was a little white-knuckle to say the least. The bonus was that Paradise had 3-4 inches of sweet windblown fresh. It got DEEP in spots.

Killer day out there before the winds took over.

Just hit day 25 on the season; getting close to my goal of 30-35.

I've never skied off the summit of Whiteface and was hoping to try it this weekend, but the weather/winds don't look likely to cooperate. 

Current summit temperature is 0F, nice and toasty.

Well you should just bundle up.  Skyward IMO is just about as awesome a trail as there is.  Steep. Long. Good views. Its an awesome ski.  Whiteface summit is always cold. It's 5kft!  (FYI: it's really hard to ski off the true summit. I've done it. rally just rock-hopping). 

Well you should just bundle up.  Skyward IMO is just about as awesome a trail as there is.  Steep. Long. Good views. Its an awesome ski.  Whiteface summit is always cold. It's 5kft!  (FYI: it's really hard to ski off the true summit. I've done it. rally just rock-hopping). 

I imagine that the forecast for wind gusts to 50mph+ on Saturday would close the summit chair?

Bolton was in solid shape today. The main issue was the wind but outside of that the skiing was back in solid form. Last week's snow definitely made a difference up there. It was as consistent a season as anyone could hope for.

Thinking of Stowe again (csc discount day) on Sunday 3/22- looks b@lls cold for March though- will make the run if they get fresh sat night or if the ungroomed is not locked up tight-

If powderfreak cares to prognosticate I'm all ears.. :)

Anybody up for a late season berkshire east gtg? I've taken 3 runs this season and effectively wasted my pass. My ankle is slowly getting better and I doubt i could do more than a few runs at a time, but I need to at least get out there before it's gone. Anybody down?

I did ride the lift at Wachusett today with an instructor from Berkshire East. Lives in Hubbardston which is a decent drive

Anybody up for a late season berkshire east gtg? I've taken 3 runs this season and effectively wasted my pass. My ankle is slowly getting better and I doubt i could do more than a few runs at a time, but I need to at least get out there before it's gone. Anybody down?

Headed over in the morning with my father, maybe 1 to 2 fresh early and warming up a little in the afternoon. Should be a good day.

Thinking of Stowe again (csc discount day) on Sunday 3/22- looks b@lls cold for March though- will make the run if they get fresh sat night or if the ungroomed is not locked up tight-

If powderfreak cares to prognosticate I'm all ears.. :)

Tomorrow is going to be cold. The forecast is showing -6F at the summit at noon tomorrow with a 25-40mph breeze. Lifts should have no issue with that wind but that's brisk.

Woods are skiing pretty good, though scratchy in the more popular areas. Trails are good in the morning, then skied off in the afternoon. Snow surface is decent but not overly durable (ie high traffic will cause it to get slick) because of last week's thaw-freeze layer is so close to the surface. Bumps are variable...either really good and blown in, or really slick and exposed to scour.

Still mid-winter, fun chalky snow though. I'm looking for 1-3" of snow this afternoon in squalls.

Seeing reports of a lift accident at the Loaf.

Calling our experts, what exactly happens when a lift brake gives way? Reports are that King Pine Lift brake gave way and it started rolling backwards, with people jumping off as it picked up speed.

I'm wondering if that was more of a panic move or if there is truly some danger of the chairs falling when that happens.

Calling our experts, what exactly happens when a lift brake gives way? Reports are that King Pine Lift brake gave way and it started rolling backwards, with people jumping off as it picked up speed.

I'm wondering if that was more of a panic move or if there is truly some danger of the chairs falling when that happens.

Reports are 4 were injured when it occurred. I am not sure if it gave way for somehow began operating in reverse from what I have read so far. There is a video clip of Ski Patrol doing rope evacuations after they apparently stopped it.

You don't want to go around the bullwheel backwards 

That's effed up.

There are several distinct systems in place to prevent a lift from rolling back. ...meaning that if a rollback happens, it is the result of several failures.

Those people were very smart to jump. I'm not familiar worth the lift, it's length, vertical, or capacity. ...but I do know that it could have been much, much worse. Thankfully nobody was kulled or seriously hurt.

Berkshire East was about 2", early season conditions almost in the morning, then it cleared up and was gorgeous. Later in the afternoon it started to get grabby underfoot which is disconcerting at times. The hard bumps were the much better option once the troughs became edgeable. Spring bump skiing is the best.

Really glad Mike Pro Lurker was able to be out there too.

Berkshire East was about 2", early season conditions almost in the morning, then it cleared up and was gorgeous. Later in the afternoon it started to get grabby underfoot which is disconcerting at times. The hard bumps were the much better option once the troughs became edgeable. Spring bump skiing is the best.

Really glad Mike Pro Lurker was able to be out there too.

Yeah, felt really good to get out. Damn, I'm out of shape! Sore as hell, I've been inactive other than physical therapy for almost a year. Don't even want to say how much weight I've gained. ...it's embarrassing.

Called it quits after lunch. Because I really wasn't a fan of the slow patches. Felt like I was doing to die at times.

Just ran out of duct tape for the sled I'm putting together for tomorrow's cardboard classic. Good thing home depot opens early.

I wish I could have taken a few runs with you, but honestly I just wanted to get back the feel for skiing again. Also wanted to enjoy some turns with my kids since the season is winding down and they've been skiing without me all season (I find it's pretty much the best quality time I can spend with my kids lately).

I'm sure we'll meet up again radarman.

Archived