• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

My legs start feeling it bad if I do too many steeps these days. I did Ovation at KMart last week and realized that afterward I was starting to burn big time on my next run on Superstar. Superstar is steep but usually not a run that bend my thighs, however, after Ovation I was really starting to struggle. So I had to "rest" for the next couple runs on blue cruisers. :lol:

But I guess that is just part of not being 25 or 27 anymore....or maybe I need to go to the gym, lol.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My legs start feeling it bad if I do too many steeps these days. I did Ovation at KMart last week and realized that afterward I was starting to burn big time on my next run on Superstar. Superstar is steep but usually not a run that bend my thighs, however, after Ovation I was really starting to struggle. So I had to "rest" for the next couple runs on blue cruisers. :lol:

But I guess that is just part of not being 25 or 27 anymore....or maybe I need to go to the gym,

I find it is best to mix it up and space out your harder runs. Obviously when you feel tired toward the end of the day it is probably best to stay off the steeps :)

The only part of the mountain(s) I don't do anymore are the terrain parks. Too many hard falls, broken bones, torn cartilage, lol. But I'll still challenge myself ripping through steep bumps if the conditions are right. I also don't think I lost any technical abilities, but I do notice my quads just not being in the same shape as they used to be. After a few bump runs I start to feel it and make mistakes, so I know when to quit. But I also have found the woods and narrow winding trails to be the best skiing around. If there's one thing I can't stand it's commercialized vast wide open trails. To me that's not what skiing is about.

The only part of the mountain(s) I don't do anymore are the terrain parks. Too many hard falls, broken bones, torn cartilage, lol. But I'll still challenge myself ripping through steep bumps if the conditions are right. I also don't think I lost any technical abilities, but I do notice my quads just not being in the same shape as they used to be. After a few bump runs I start to feel it and make mistakes, so I know when to quit. But I also have found the woods and narrow winding trails to be the best skiing around. If there's one thing I can't stand it's commercialized vast wide open trails. To me that's not what skiing is about.

that's why I love Berkshire East, not the length or the width it's the motion of the ocean

But I guess that is just part of not being 25 or 27 anymore....or maybe I need to go to the gym, lol.

Sorry dude, you gotta go to the gym...at 35 when I was doing p90x I could ski, fast forward 2yrs later of being a slug and doing nothing, I can't ski worth **** :(

Speaking of Stowe, whats up with that "high-hazard" area to the right of the Forerunner quad when looking up the mountain? Is that a blow-down area?  It's fun skiing through there though, almost feels like being out west in the trees since its nice and open

There was a microburst there according to the trail map.

Going to Sunday River this weekend....should be pretty good. Hopefully they can get 3-5" from Tuesday night event and it looks like they avoid any warmup.

Yeah that'll be great I'm sure.

I'm fairly confident the northern tier avoids any mess from here over to SR. It might end as some freezing drizzle or mist as usually the case with moisture below the snow growth temps, but that's often just the high elevations in the clouds usually. Overall the impact should be minimal.

Skied Pico over the weekend.  Conditions were fantastic.  With all the powder days, I haven't been doing as much dedicated mogul skiing (more trees), but this weekend was the exception.  Summit Glade and Giant Killer were in amazing shape with virtually no ice even in the deepest troughs.  My wife and I just kept lapping Summit Glade to Sunset Woods.  Summit Glade reminds me a bit of Chin Clip, with is one of my all-time favorite bump runs.

As for skiing while aging, I ski a lot with two friends who are in their mid 60s.  All we do are bumps and trees.  They keep up with me no problem (in fact, I have to chase them through the trees).  We're all a bit creaky at the end of the day, but not so much we can't start fresh in the morning.  Staying active off the slopes is the key for me.  I'm a better and much more robust skier now than when I was 20 (I'm in my 40s).

I actually find bump skiing easier on the legs than groomers, though more demanding on the heart and lungs (in a good way).  Nothing makes my legs burn more than skiing down a firm groomer at speed, though I'm not a particularly distinguished groomed snow skier.

Skied Mount Snow today.  Maybe the best day so far of an incredibly good year.  I was still finding untracked powder in plain sight at 4PM.  The North Face was very wind loaded with extra snow.

I randomly ran in to the person who does the Mount Snow Minute daily video for the mountain in the morning and became the subject of today's video.  He're it is:

Heading to Okemo tomorrow... did they get any rain/zr last night? Any of the VT posters have any insight?

No idea.  But its good up here.  May have had some IP or graupel mixed up here last night, but nothing damaging the surface.

Warm and sunny out now.  If anything, south facing sun aspects will likely have a bit of a sun crust after today.  Can't fight the sun angle anymore really.  I noticed slight crusting the other day on due south exposed spots even with temps in the teens.

11021205_10102151733610460_4108109507204

This is a great photo from a couple days ago from Dalton Harben who is a photographer on the otherside of the Notch at Smuggs.

This sums it up in VT...its been like western glade skiing now that the snowpack is 3-7 feet deep, all the brush has been just crushed.  The forests are wide open...

11046539_10205191458219201_5836233877357

Glad the surface has stayed relatively undamaged- can't wait for my week at Stowe next week.... Looks warmish... I would prefer either teens and packed powder or if it is going to warm any day that everyday be 40 plus- not the thaw freeze locked up 30 degree spring days...

Glad the surface has stayed relatively undamaged- can't wait for my week at Stowe next week.... Looks warmish... I would prefer either teens and packed powder or if it is going to warm any day that everyday be 40 plus- not the thaw freeze locked up 30 degree spring days...

Yeah this time of year can either be really good or really not. Haha. It starts to become a game of what was yesterday's temps/sky and what will be today's temps/sky.

Cloudy and 25F after a sunny 40F day can make ungroomed unpleasant.

I'm sure Les is taking advantage of those gov't backed loans for revitalizing depressed areas. I forget the name of the program.

Seems things are on hold after NH decided to review the idea of a state-backed bond for construction.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/15947779-95/state-backed-28m-bond-for-balsams-plan-hits-a-snag

Yeah this time of year can either be really good or really not. Haha. It starts to become a game of what was yesterday's temps/sky and what will be today's temps/sky.

Cloudy and 25F after a sunny 40F day can make ungroomed unpleasant.

Slacker season...  show up at 11 and hit the south faces.    While the packed fluffy powderfest days may be numbered, the prospects of what's to come are pretty exciting as well.  Smiling just thinking about it. 

Slacker season... show up at 11 and hit the south faces. While the packed fluffy powderfest days may be numbered, the prospects of what's to come are pretty exciting as well. Smiling just thinking about it.

It is...this is one of my favorite times of year.

There's something about slamming soft bump runs all day in the sunshine and 40-degree temps. Infuses the soul with energy to be on the mountain during a beautiful spring day with deep snowpack.

My favorite thing about spring skiing is that it's so reliable.  All the folks who bail in late March/April are missing one of the best times of the year.  It's a bit frustrating that the S VT mountains will inevitably close again with wall-to-wall coverage, but I understand the economics makes it challenging to stay open past the 12th, I'm guessing.

My favorite thing about spring skiing is that it's so reliable. All the folks who bail in late March/April are missing one of the best times of the year. It's a bit frustrating that the S VT mountains will inevitably close again with wall-to-wall coverage, but I understand the economics makes it challenging to stay open past the 12th, I'm guessing.

Indeed it's a shame. Just like the demand for Red Sox tickets fade in September, even if they're super competitive and about to make the playoffs.

It's a shame that it can't be overcome with the proper marketing campaign.

Archived