• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Hoping the rainless stretch up north continues.. Headed to Stowe for kids school vacation 3/9 to 3/15- Would love to have at it without a thaw freeze in the surface... Or, if it's gonna warm up- let it stay warm for an early corn harvest....that will get me shunned here, I know

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like we were all at Magic yesterday!  It lived up to its name.  I had only been there once before several years ago.  Man, its reputation for having terrain head and shoulders above the rest of Southern VT is well deserved.  A few pics below.  We were having too much fun in the fresh powder early in the day to get out the camera, so most of the shots are from the afternoon leftovers, which were still delicious.

attachicon.gifIMG_3568.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3590.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3595.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3619.jpg

Awesome action shots.  It really was killer yesterday.  Goniff was an absolute powder puff right through the afternoon.  Like you I've not been there too often but was impressed with the conditions and the terrain.

post-992-0-77613600-1424717309_thumb.jpg

post-992-0-81481400-1424717325_thumb.jpg

Awesome action shots.  It really was killer yesterday.  Goniff was an absolute powder puff right through the afternoon.  Like you I've not been there too often but was impressed with the conditions and the terrain.

attachicon.gifIMG_2015022252203.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_201502233717.jpg

Goniff was awesome.  I'd really like to ski Magic with someone who knows it inside out.  We were having a blast, but we suspected that we were just scratching the surface of what the mountain has to offer.

Seems like we were all at Magic yesterday! It lived up to its name. I had only been there once before several years ago. Man, its reputation for having terrain head and shoulders above the rest of Southern VT is well deserved. A few pics below. We were having too much fun in the fresh powder early in the day to get out the camera, so most of the shots are from the afternoon leftovers, which were still delicious.

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

Nice shots!

I've never been to Magic (probably the only VT spot I haven't been to), but I've heard from some of our Pro-Patrollers who went down a few weeks ago that the terrain is much more like what we have in the Northern Greens. Steep, cliffy, double-fall lines, etc. Terrain endorsement coming from career members of Mt Mansfield Ski Patrol and Stowe Mountain Rescue, is pretty worthy stuff.

Goniff was awesome. I'd really like to ski Magic with someone who knows it inside out. We were having a blast, but we suspected that we were just scratching the surface of what the mountain has to offer.

The work days that have done thinning the trees over the past few years have really opened up so many great sections.

Heading to Berkshire East Friday. Can anyone describe how to get into the glade called Horace's Grove? Its not shown on the trail map.

Just get off the chair and make a beeline to the ski patrol hut in front of you.  But stay just right of the front door and duck into the woods.   There are usually tracks.

Starting to go off right now... with a snow depth of over 80" a lot of terrain is in play now.  Just a 20 minute stroll from the lifts.

People are laying tracks down in some awesome places.  Cheers echoing around the mountain as people nail more and more big lines.  I love this time of year.  For the next month its going to be full shackville.

IMG_8471_edited-1_zpsgyqfvsll.jpg

IMG_8473_edited-1_zpsgdk4tnwy.jpg

Photo by Aaron Rhode... Pat a local ski bum laying it down through the slot.

11001749_10153153008078566_3786215458991

Planning a couple of days of skiing early part of next week - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - in either N. Greens or N. Whites...do I need to be concerned about non-frozen precipitation? I know it's far out but thinking about buying my tixs in advance, et cetera to save $$$. Thanks.

I'm not holding my breath for Jay to catch 00/01 but yeah it's been real good.

Wow PF, some great snapshots there!  

A life on the best hill in VT is a blessed one for sure, nice terrain.

It has skied like 00/01, which is the only reason people talk about it, not even close on depths though. No melt for this whole cycle is so rare now it seems, so much snow, hiking around is like looking at tree stumps to count rings, you can see days and days of deposits. Considering the way the winds have ripped, the fact that it holds to the evergreens has been almost as impressive as the schussing.  

We were laughing Sunday, we have been scrambling to ski stuff like rabid penguins only to realize it is only the end of Feb.  Feeling the warmth of the sun Sunday with a cold beer in hand was a great reality flash there is still a long spring season ahead.

great year to be a NE woodchuck!

Blows to miss this ski season. Started up PT again today, the therapist measured my ankles, 3cm difference in circumference between the two, so definitely still some swelling. Put a ski boot on this afternoon just to see. ...yeah, no possible way. Maybe in another 2-3 weeks, just as the season starts to wind down.

Sad to miss out on a part of my life that provides me with joy and happiness.

Archived