• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

I'm thinking Mount Snow or Stratton on Monday.  One of the best thing about the huge shift south for the weekend storm is that it keeps the epic conditions in S VT (and the rest of the state) going for a while longer.

I notice that Mount Snow has had issues with their lifts lately on breezy days.  The lift report right now indicates that the summit and North Face lifts are on wind hold.  Monday looks pretty cold, so the Stratton gondola would be nice if they can keep it going.

I'm hitting Stratton on a bus trip Sunday with the ski club. They're looking to get a half foot on Sat night and sunny breaks on Sunday with a high of 30. Should be epic conditions. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fwiw-mt. snow does have that bubble 6 pack.

They do, and it's nice, but it's usually mostly my toes that need shelter :).  I'm trying to decide which is most likely to be running, the Bluebird at Mount Snow or the Stratton Gondola.  Also, if Mount Snow can't keep the North Face open, that significantly restricts woods options.

I'm hitting Stratton on a bus trip Sunday with the ski club. They're looking to get a half foot on Sat night and sunny breaks on Sunday with a high of 30. Should be epic conditions. 

Should be amazing, and I bet it won't be too crowded.  Sunday the 8th was pretty empty after a very crowded Saturday.

Thats pretty bizzare, especially considering how good conditions have been for the past month or so.

Thats not a small dropoff either. Maybe prices are finally at the breaking point for the average skier?

Ticket price barely moved from last season and the place was packed. Lots of season pass holders too. Maybe too much cold and snow

Was shocked at how emtpy KMart was for February break week. Most lifts were no wait or under 1 minute. Never had a wait on Superstar quad or Canyon quad or North Ridge Triple. Even Skyburst/Bear Mountain were almost no wait. Only the K1 gondola had a wait. It was more crowded when I went in November.

I've heard the theory of "snow fatigue"...so many of the fair weather skiing crowd in SNE are done with winter at this point.

Was shocked at how emtpy KMart was for February break week. Most lifts were no wait or under 1 minute. Never had a wait on Superstar quad or Canyon quad or North Ridge Triple. Even Skyburst/Bear Mountain were almost no wait. Only the K1 gondola had a wait. It was more crowded when I went in November.

I've heard the theory of "snow fatigue"...so many of the fair weather skiing crowd in SNE are done with winter at this point.

Loon was empty all week too. You know something up when PF isn't chiming in either.

I'm waiting until March this year, should be epic.

Just looking and will make one point.  It's not just the weekend warriors not skiing.   IMO, no sane person would bring young kids onto a mountain with -15 air and wind chills on top of it.

It's just way too cold right now, and it's not like skiing/staying is cheap.  Given the reality of this savage winter, all the time lost at work etc... it's just a weather thing.

The big ? for people like powderfreak is whether or not this is delayed/deferred or gone.  IE, will people come ski in March that didn't ski in February or is it too late entirely due to sports and what not.  We will ski heavily in March which is very unusual for our group.

yup i actually know a few people that have not gone because of this

Just looking and will make one point.  It's not just the weekend warriors not skiing.   IMO, no sane person would bring young kids onto a mountain with -15 air and wind chills on top of it.

It's just way too cold right now, and it's not like skiing/staying is cheap.  Given the reality of this savage winter, all the time lost at work etc... it's just a weather thing.

The big ? for people like powderfreak is whether or not this is delayed/deferred or gone.  IE, will people come ski in March that didn't ski in February or is it too late entirely due to sports and what not.  We will ski heavily in March which is very unusual for our group.

yup i actually know a few people that have not gone because of this

My family is one of them, though it's definitely a delay instead of a cancellation.  We'd have skied in March anyway, but I expect we'll tack on an extra weekend as a family.

If it were just me, I'd have tackled the frigid weather, but I've been successfully nurturing a love of skiing in my kids and I wouldn't want to set that back with an ill-timed weekend.  They usually surprise me with their cold tolerance, but I feel like strong winds with temps below zero is pushing the limit.  The fact that everything is more expensive during a holiday period made the decision a little easier.

My family is one of them, though it's definitely a delay instead of a cancellation.  We'd have skied in March anyway, but I expect we'll tack on an extra weekend as a family.

If it were just me, I'd have tackled the frigid weather, but I've been successfully nurturing a love of skiing in my kids and I wouldn't want to set that back with an ill-timed weekend.  They usually surprise me with their cold tolerance, but I feel like strong winds with temps below zero is pushing the limit.  The fact that everything is more expensive during a holiday period made the decision a little easier.

You nailed it.   All it takes is a really bad experience when they're young and the love is lost.  Besides as Ginxy always says the best conditions overall, least crowds, nicest weather is in March.  It'll be nice to ski in relative warmth!

Sunday River's page is down, I blame the cold

I was surprised how empty it was before the cold snap...Tuesday was like 22-25F and sunny at KMart and it was empty, lol.

Will - yeah...it's got to be a combination of snow fatigue and cold.  Lots of money being spent on snow removal, lost days at work, heat, etc.   I don't think it's just the cold, nor do I think it's ticket prices.  It is odd though, it's every mountain across the northeast, nobody is immune.

PF would be taken out back and whipped 50 shades style if he said anything but I'm sure even they're off this year. Hopefully they all have a strong March and April.

Wow - not much else to say about today. Skied from about 8:30-2:00 straight through with a 20 minute beer and shot of jameson break around 11:30.

Probably about 8" of very fluffy snow and the weather was perfect. 30F and bluebird skies through the day. Not empty but definitely not crowded - maybe a 3-5 minute wait for the summit lifts. 

Archived