SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was a top ski day of the season as far as days with no new snow. Bluebird skies, absolutely no wind (rare at the summit), and a temp that got as high as 27F at 4000ft, which is like the warmest in a month.

Carveable and chalky packed powder, evens in softened snow on south facing slopes (a sign of things to come)....made me yearn for spring skiing and enjoying a beer in the sun, sitting in a lawn chair slope side. I can't wait for March now haha.

Today was a top ski day of the season as far as days with no new snow. Bluebird skies, absolutely no wind (rare at the summit), and a temp that got as high as 27F at 4000ft, which is like the warmest in a month.

Carveable and chalky packed powder, evens in softened snow on south facing slopes (a sign of things to come)....made me yearn for spring skiing and enjoying a beer in the sun, sitting in a lawn chair slope side. I can't wait for March now haha.

Can't wait to go to KMart next week. Tho I think unfortunately after the Tuesday/Wednesday storm we are going to have ball-shriveling cold. But hey, can't complain too much. ESP if that system dumps a fresh layer.

One of these days I'll make it up to Stow on a Lifttopia deal or something. One of the few VT resorts I haven't skied at. You'd have to show me the picnic tables and snow stake. :lol:

Can't wait to go to KMart next week. Tho I think unfortunately after the Tuesday/Wednesday storm we are going to have ball-shriveling cold. But hey, can't complain too much. ESP if that system dumps a fresh layer.

One of these days I'll make it up to Stow on a Lifttopia deal or something. One of the few VT resorts I haven't skied at. You'd have to show me the picnic tables and snow stake. :lol:

Haha yeah I'm always happy to give tours. Can also show the large blow down from last summer...Shabbs and Ryan saw that earlier this winter.

Usually towards the end of the winter I have an over-abundance of 40% off tickets if anyone gets the urge in the spring.

Killington should be sweet, the snow everywhere in New England from VT to ME has been awesome lately. I get a sick pleasure in listening to westerners complain about the east getting snow...probably like the mid-Atlantic posters get when they hear New Englanders complain about them getting all the snow :lol:.

My only fear is hopefully we can get some snow either Monday or next Wednesday...don't need a lot, just something, because no matter how good it is, the holiday weekend crowds can do a number on it. The trails can get "tired" for lack of a better word and even 3-4" refresh can go a long way. I mean a ski area could have 40 feet of snowfall and somehow Presidents Week crowds can still do a number on it. The best is if you can get a couple light events during the week.

Haha yeah I'm always happy to give tours. Can also show the large blow down from last summer...Shabbs and Ryan saw that earlier this winter.

Usually towards the end of the winter I have an over-abundance of 40% off tickets if anyone gets the urge in the spring.

Killington should be sweet, the snow everywhere in New England from VT to ME has been awesome lately. I get a sick pleasure in listening to westerners complain about the east getting snow...probably like the mid-Atlantic posters get when they hear New Englanders complain about them getting all the snow :lol:.

My only fear is hopefully we can get some snow either Monday or next Wednesday...don't need a lot, just something, because no matter how good it is, the holiday weekend crowds can do a number on it. The trails can get "tired" for lack of a better word and even 3-4" refresh can go a long way. I mean a ski area could have 40 feet of snowfall and somehow Presidents Week crowds can still do a number on it. The best is if you can get a couple light events during the week.

I would be somewhat surprised if there was not at least a few inches for Tuesday night/wed up in the mountains. Could be a lot more too but if it went completely smokin' cirrus on us, then I'd be surprised. At least the way it looks right now. Obviously it can change a lot over the next few days.

I def hope to get some solid march skiing in this year. Still have one more freebie to use at SR but I'd like to get to some other mountains too. Should be an awesome spring season if long range is anythig close to accurate.

The horrible skiing continues...haha.  Definitely the best stretch up here since 2010-2011 for consistent snowfall and good packed power and powder conditions.  7 feet in the last 30 days (its not Boston, but it'll do) and we just crested 200" on the season with today's 3".

Up at 3,600ft elevation.  Upper elevations of the Greens have the best powder skiing in the United States right now.

10314700_10102134834107200_3650679810381

Down at 2,300ft elevation.

10801724_10152567940667382_2087803714431

Skied Stratton yesterday.  Not much to say except the snow is awesome everywhere.  Woods were deep, and even the troughs are soft.  What a great stretch we're having.  After a really slow start, I've gotten in nine great days since mid January, all of which featured powder at some point.

Does anyone have an idea if temps are warmer next weekend

Rented a house at Stowe but owner have us offer if going next weekend instead

Thanks looks epic up there

I think it's really hard to say.  Tomorrow looks not too bad with highs in the mid teens, but this Sunday/Monday look pretty brutal with the combination of cold and winds caused by the bombing low offshore.  Tuesday/Wed look much warmer with typical Vermont cold.  Looks like there could be another cold blast Thurs/Friday, but then warming up a bit for the weekend of the 21/22.  All this is subject to change, obviously, so it's a bit of a gamble either way.

Just playing the percentages, it's quite unlikely that next weekend will be as cold as the Sun/Mon.  The snow is amazing!

Where the heck are all the skiers? Best conditions I have ever experienced at Wachusett. Temps were fine, school vacation

No one there. Are people trapped in their towns?

Two nights in a row

Too busy skiing to post?  Or maybe keeping silent about the great conditions to try and keep the crowds in check?

Too busy skiing to post? Or maybe keeping silent about the great conditions to try and keep the crowds in check?

Lol. Maybe. How are the crowds in VT?

There were crowds way bigger in early Jan when we basically oy had the man made stuff. I'm very confused where all the people are

Traditionally Feb school vacation at little Wachusett is banged out. I parked literally in the single best parking spot in their lot last night

Lol. Maybe. How are the crowds in VT?

There were crowds way bigger in early Jan when we basically oy had the man made stuff. I'm very confused where all the people are

Traditionally Feb school vacation at little Wachusett is banged out. I parked literally in the single best parking spot in their lot last night

Right, this week is known as "Hell Week" at WaWa but it's been dead.  I'm expecting small crowds for my shift tonight 7-10 due to the winds and temp drop. Overall from last season, I think skier visits are way down.

Right, this week is known as "Hell Week" at WaWa but it's been dead.  I'm expecting small crowds for my shift tonight 7-10 due to the winds and temp drop. Overall from last season, I think skier visits are way down.

Anyone have a reason why? I had heard that before this epicosity started that layoffs had been planned...

We hope to get the missus a rest of the season pass so she can cash in on the conditions

Anyone have a reason why? I had heard that before this epicosity started that layoffs had been planned...

We hope to get the missus a rest of the season pass so she can cash in on the conditions

wbz-tv 4 did a story about this on the local news last night...skier numbers are down 17% from last year...

conditions look great, at the moment...too bad an ice glaze is coming...

wbz-tv 4 did a story about this on the local news last night...skier numbers are down 17% from last year...

conditions look great, at the moment...too bad an ice glaze is coming...

Thats pretty bizzare, especially considering how good conditions have been for the past month or so.

Thats not a small dropoff either. Maybe prices are finally at the breaking point for the average skier?

I'm thinking Mount Snow or Stratton on Monday.  One of the best thing about the huge shift south for the weekend storm is that it keeps the epic conditions in S VT (and the rest of the state) going for a while longer.

I notice that Mount Snow has had issues with their lifts lately on breezy days.  The lift report right now indicates that the summit and North Face lifts are on wind hold.  Monday looks pretty cold, so the Stratton gondola would be nice if they can keep it going.

I'm thinking Mount Snow or Stratton on Monday.  One of the best thing about the huge shift south for the weekend storm is that it keeps the epic conditions in S VT (and the rest of the state) going for a while longer.

I notice that Mount Snow has had issues with their lifts lately on breezy days.  The lift report right now indicates that the summit and North Face lifts are on wind hold.  Monday looks pretty cold, so the Stratton gondola would be nice if they can keep it going.

fwiw-mt. snow does have that bubble 6 pack.

In all honesty and as ironic as it sounds, I think people are frustrated with the cold and snow. You know fair weather skiers. lol 

Archived