• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

PF, any recommendation on places to stay up in that area?

If you want inexpensive and don't mind driving in the morning, Montpellier/Barre has some good options; its cheaper than staying closer to the mtn and you can easily get to sugarbush, mad river or Stowe in 30-40 minutes, Killington or Jay in about an hour.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are two kinds of Powder skiing, there is dry fluff and there is Sierra Cement, you can keep the cement, fluff is fine but I like my ACLs

This.

I don't own wide skis, only stiff narrow carvers, and heavy wet 'powder' is awful. I also find that I have trouble skiing in tracked powder, the transition mid-turn from floating to whatever you call it when you hit someone else's tracks, I find it a bit unnerving.

I'm also very much a 'front seat' type skier, i have a tough time giving up that control from my tips that powder requires.

Maybe I need to demo a fat pair in a powder day and take a lesson. Alas, not this year....

PF, any recommendation on places to stay up in that area?

Found out today i have to work on the day of the bus trip up there, so I can't do that.

Girlfriend really wants to go (so do I), so I told her I'd look into a few nights somewhere over spring break (week of the 10th in march)

Not sure if you know the vacation weeks, but I'm pretty sure that isn't grade school break time.

Would be nice to get a room for a few and hit the slopes

PM me and I can go into more detail... yeah the only thing in March is Canadian school breaks and we can get a good deal of Quebecois as well as folks from Ontario.  Overall, it can be a great time to visit.  Last March was deep deep winter, even with the longer daylight and higher sun angle.  Its one of my favorite months because if it isn't snowing/cold, its usually warm enough for soft spring snow which can be a real fun surface.

PM me and I can go into more detail... yeah the only thing in March is Canadian school breaks and we can get a good deal of Quebecois as well as folks from Ontario.  Overall, it can be a great time to visit.  Last March was deep deep winter, even with the longer daylight and higher sun angle.  Its one of my favorite months because if it isn't snowing/cold, its usually warm enough for soft spring snow which can be a real fun surface.

March had fantastic skiing last year! I thought it was the best month to be honest. Anyway some bad news. Ascutney's ski lodge is on fire. This is from WCAX:

1743694_10155059456320442_43626082239233

SWEet deal. Should be a good day there

Sure was.  Beautiful and empty.  Fresh tracks all day and a lot of the nice terrain is open now.  Mohawk, Hemlock, and Chute, some of the first turns of the year.

I realized today what I miss by not living in a ski town... not the big powder days, I know when those are coming and make arrangements to be there.... It's the refresher days with 2-3" of light snow on groomers and no big crowds.   Really a blast and incredibly relaxing.

post-992-0-72723900-1420845956_thumb.jpg

post-992-0-61691200-1420845992_thumb.jpg

Sure was. Beautiful and empty. Fresh tracks all day and a lot of the nice terrain is open now. Mohawk, Hemlock, and Chute, some of the first turns of the year.

I realized today what I miss by not living in a ski town... not the big powder days, I know when those are coming and make arrangements to be there.... It's the refresher days with 2-3" of light snow on groomers and no big crowds. Really a blast and incredibly relaxing.

IMG_2015010953162.jpg

IMG_2015010928108.jpg

sweet Eric

Going up to Killington for 3 days/3 nights in mid February...so hoping to slowly build pack between now and then.

Also, trying to find a weekend to use 2 free ski days at Sunday River...I might just wait until later in the season, but I'm tempted to go up later this month if we can get another system or two up in that region.

The one good thing about the less mild look to next week than previously is that it should keep conditions from regressing significantly. The ski areas can start to get pretty nice on nickle and dime crap but it's those damned cutters or legit thaws that totally screw things up.

Greg Petrics sure takes some beautiful shots.. 

And here's one of him actually skiing ;)

Mansfield/Stowe has been tumbling along at average, but average is good up here.  The upper elevations have gotten a lot of nickel and dime systems, but it adds up.  4" here, 6" there, 3" followed by 5".  I've had 14" at 3,000ft in the last week, and this shot was from higher up than that, above 3,500ft.

10930937_989576771070302_719819348129874

And here's one of him actually skiing ;)

Mansfield/Stowe has been tumbling along at average, but average is good up here.  The upper elevations have gotten a lot of nickel and dime systems, but it adds up.  4" here, 6" there, 3" followed by 5".  I've had 14" at 3,000ft in the last week, and this shot was from higher up than that, above 3,500ft.

10930937_989576771070302_719819348129874

Stake web site says above average

Stake web site says above average

Yeah the pack, especially up high has been solid ever since the super cut-off around December 10th and the 2 feet of condo crushing snowfall above 2,000ft.  That stuff wasn't melting and although it took a hit in the Grinch storm, it just solidified into a bomb-proof base.  While the snowfall has tapered off recently (we were well above normal on December 12th, but have gone back to normal or even below now on January 12th for pure snowfall), we have had some decent liquid content in the snowpack, so we are making more with less if that makes sense. 

The 43" at the stake definitely has a lot more meat than it sometimes does when we get a 3 foot fluffer nutter upslope event.  I knew that storm would set us up nicely up high, and it certainly has.  Now it can snow all this light and fluffy stuff and it doesn't have to be all about the base...its already there and its concrete on the lower 2-2.5 feet.

Here are some shots from today...you can tell that although the snow is cold and dry, its got some heft to it.  Today's 3-4" easily had 0.33-0.5" of QPF in it.  Synoptic storm snow, whereas what Petrics is skiing in that photo above is like 18" averaging 25:1 ratio type stuff.

10929195_10102108914570160_6862833300598

10407052_10102108918028230_7817935179874

Looks great! Hopefully I am heading there at some point soon.

Skied WaWa Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon/evening. The morning session was much better skiing although it was quite cold (2F at the summit). Conditions were great with no lines, lots of snow.

Last night was pretty icy and crowded but all 4 of us went

Good snow out there today.  I took this shot of my buddy Dylan just crushing it through the steep powder lines in-between the Stowe trails.

10917055_10102110970520020_4067320872164

Good snow out there today.  I took this shot of my buddy Dylan just crushing it through the steep powder lines in-between the Stowe trails.

Going to Jay Peak Jan 28th _Feb 1st for the 1st time.Love sking in the woods in Powder.How are they skiing?What are chances for some big up slope snow during that trip ?Also any advice on how to ski the mountain would be apreciated skiingThurs_Sat Thanks

Good snow out there today. I took this shot of my buddy Dylan just crushing it through the steep powder lines in-between the Stowe trails.

Going to Jay Peak Jan 28th _Feb 1st for the 1st time.Love sking in the woods in Powder.How are they skiing?What are chances for some big up slope snow during that trip ?Also any advice on how to ski the mountain would be apreciated skiingThurs_Sat Thanks

crushed,wide open,bring the underarmour

Archived