Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made the move.  From Philly to BTV. Best decision of my life. Not always easy but worth it. 

Getting antsy because I'll have 6 days of less than good skiing out of a hundred days makes me laugh.  If you live up here you have it so good. 

Yeah props for that move.  Especially since you had a like "real" good job and all that stuff.  I'm sure pulling the trigger is real difficult.  I'm not sure if I could do it if I hadn't settled here from college.  But man is it so worth it.  The quality of life is hard to beat and sometimes you forget that the views you get just driving to the grocery store are views people go on vacation to see.

Bolton says they will be back up to 32 trails soon. The groomers and ops are hard at work and doing their thing. I would agree with adk's sentiments and I am happy I moved here. I have already gone skiing 5 times before Christmas and I plan on going a bunch more. We will bounce back I think. As I said in the other thread hopefully this is the low point. On a side note for Christmas someone gave me a Bromley 1 day lift ticket :) I plan on using it later in the winter. Anyone here know much about that mountain?

From Sugarloaf's web page:

"Merry Christmas, Sugarloafers! While it wasn't exactly the whitest of Christmas' we've seen here at the Loaf, we are grateful that we came out of this storm fairly unscathed. Our base has held up extremely well. Groomed trails like Tote Road and Boardwalk skied out great today, with little traffic you were able to cruise down the corduroy. We heard someone say that having a run at the Loaf all to yourself is the best present. We have to agree. While it's fun with friends, there's something wonderful about cruising from side to side, making your own path. 

The drizzle we saw this morning has since left and it's been replaced with partly cloudy skies and an increase in wind speeds. While the wind can affect our lifts, the silver lining is it will help dry out the wet snow. Temperatures are expected to fall a bit during the overnight hours, and tomorrow we'll see mid-30's at the base and mid-20's up top with partly to mostly sunny skies."

Minimal damage. 

From Sugarloaf's web page:

"Merry Christmas, Sugarloafers! While it wasn't exactly the whitest of Christmas' we've seen here at the Loaf, we are grateful that we came out of this storm fairly unscathed. Our base has held up extremely well. Groomed trails like Tote Road and Boardwalk skied out great today, with little traffic you were able to cruise down the corduroy. We heard someone say that having a run at the Loaf all to yourself is the best present. We have to agree. While it's fun with friends, there's something wonderful about cruising from side to side, making your own path. 

The drizzle we saw this morning has since left and it's been replaced with partly cloudy skies and an increase in wind speeds. While the wind can affect our lifts, the silver lining is it will help dry out the wet snow. Temperatures are expected to fall a bit during the overnight hours, and tomorrow we'll see mid-30's at the base and mid-20's up top with partly to mostly sunny skies."

Minimal damage. 

jgpehr.jpg

Had plans on heading to WaWa tomorrow, doesn't look like thats going to happen. Dont want to waste a trip for crappy conditions. I'm off all next week as well, so maybe its better then

Yeah. I would not waste $ on a ticket until they can make some more

I might go with my daughter for a few first runs tonight

Bolton definitely needs some ample new snowfall. The core off the Vista Quad was in decent shape but Cobrass had a warning for experts only due to dicey conditions and thin cover. The Wilderness side was tough going above the Mid Mountain Station and Peggy Dow's was barely skiable and bordering on dangerous for most on the steep sections near the top. Overall they have done quite well with the trails they have groomed all things considered, but the warm up and Grinch definitely did a number. This was my first visit after that episode. None the less it is always good to get out there!

We skied Bolton yesterday (Friday) and had a great time as long as we stuck to the groomers. Vista Glades opened up and we tried it once and that was plenty. Three inches of fluff hiding the dread styrofoam snow.

Snowed off and on all day, which certainly helped.

Had dinner at the Prohibition Pig, which had a one hour wait at four-freaking-thirty. Which is why we seldom go there.

We skied Bolton yesterday (Friday) and had a great time as long as we stuck to the groomers. Vista Glades opened up and we tried it once and that was plenty. Three inches of fluff hiding the dread styrofoam snow.

Snowed off and on all day, which certainly helped.

Had dinner at the Prohibition Pig, which had a one hour wait at four-freaking-thirty. Which is why we seldom go there.

A coworker's son works as a dishwasher there. She says he brings stuff home once in a while and it's pretty good. I've never been there but have heard the food is good.

Spent the day at Mount Snow yesterday and the conditions were hard and fast but not bad considering how atrocious this pattern has been for the last couple weeks. Crowds weren't too bad and we managed 17 runs before the bar beckoned. 

The drive home was a pain... took about 3 hours with some really rough spots on I-91 between Greenfield and Holyoke... things were fine by the time we made it into Springfield. 

A bit sore this morning but not bad. Looking forward to Stowe on Friday and Saturday - who doesn't love skiing in below zero temps!?

Spent the day at Mount Snow yesterday and the conditions were hard and fast but not bad considering how atrocious this pattern has been for the last couple weeks. Crowds weren't too bad and we managed 17 runs before the bar beckoned. 

The drive home was a pain... took about 3 hours with some really rough spots on I-91 between Greenfield and Holyoke... things were fine by the time we made it into Springfield. 

A bit sore this morning but not bad. Looking forward to Stowe on Friday and Saturday - who doesn't love skiing in below zero temps!?

I'll be at Stowe those days as well. I am planning to blow the dust off my collection of Jon e warmers to get through. hopefully the wind isn't howling. That would be a killer. I'm sure it will be at the summits.

Vail now selling day tickets at $160 price point.

http://snowbrains.com/vail-raises-single-day-ticket-160/[/quote

Good lord.

Then again, anyone that pays window probably won't notice it. With the number of discounts out there today with little/no effort required buying tickets at the window is becoming reserved to those who couldn't care less about the money and don't want to be bothered with liftopia etc. Exceptions are at smaller places where window is still reasonable.

Moving a discussion over here where it belongs....

I mentioned driving home tonight from a 10 day trip to Killington and how the unexpected cold air made us nervous. We expected 45 degrees and got 34 most of the way down 91. Someone commented that there was a large exodus from VT early this AM because the conditions were probably crap today with the warm temps even though it was colder then expected.

I wanted to run this idea past the group active in this thread. Basically at 54 degrees today Killington was every bit as warm as expected which made for the best skiing of the past 7 days. The nice soft carvable snow was 1000% better than the icy death slide skiing of the past week. All the locals/regulars were having a blast in the canyon today.

Why would someone think icy conditions were better than soft carvable snow? I just found the idea perplexing that people perceive days like today as crap. That perception must be real though because the place was empty today. Now tomorrow will be horrible for sure after the flash freeze that is coming. Would people honestly prefer tomorrow's conditions to today's?

Archived