joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 winter outlook

FLO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wxjordan I hate to sound like a broken record but I hope folks take notice of the pdo. Of all the signals this one is the mac daddy for southeast winter freaks. You can have Nino and negative nao, but you get the pna unfavorable and it will screw us up 90 percent of the time. However if it's working in your favor then blocking or not the cold although it may be transient will just keep on coming down shot after shot. Hkywx posted about this the other day. The Pacific always has the most influence on our weather pattern and how it will evolve over a 3 month season.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Accuweather has spoken, we all know how great their track record is perceived.

They are post JB so not as much of a cold bias. Also, that does follow along with most thoughts. They have the I-95 cities shown as slightly below normal and the far NE as normal. **of course their location(state College Penn) is solidly below... 

They are post JB so not as much of a cold bias. Also, that does follow along with most thoughts. They have the I-95 cities shown as slightly below normal and the far NE as normal. **of course their location(state College Penn) is solidly below... 

They get a lot of flack on here for their forecasts.  I've generally seen them verify pretty well.  In particular during our torch years they didn't have below normal like some forecasters did.  They actually are not bad with the seasonal forecasts.  As I've said before they are trying to nail it.  A busted forecast doesn't do them any favors even if a cold one busts warm as their audience is so large.  I think Accuweather is unfairly criticized wrt their winter forecasts because they don't just put out a blanket cold forecast yearly like some mets do.  I also agree they are much better post JB.

Archived