joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through one of the best coastal storms I've ever experienced on Monday night here at Atlantic Beach.  Heavy rain and near continuous thunder and lightning that lasted at least 3 hours.  It was like someone was running a strobe light outside.  Got a few inches of rain i'm sure.  

I went through one of the best coastal storms I've ever experienced on Monday night here at Atlantic Beach.  Heavy rain and near continuous thunder and lightning that lasted at least 3 hours.  It was like someone was running a strobe light outside.  Got a few inches of rain i'm sure.  

That was the same storm I posted about while I was at Myrtle Beach. Amazing light show   :D  

102 imby today.....not sure what CAE recorded, but it was H O T  :angry:  

It's throwback weekend as I'm back in the Raleigh/Durham area for a few days visiting some folks.  Hope the 50% chance of showers/t-storms pans out.  Living right on the coast in California these days, I haven't seen a single thunderstorm since fall of 2012, as crazy as that sounds. 

Welcome home, I would kill myself if I had to deal with California weather 9 or lack of weather, you need to stretch out your visit till the end of the week you might get lucky and catch a cane.

1.82'' in 25 minutes

Best storm all summer,close to a gullywasher.

Yes, it was a good one. Finally got under the sweet spot. Seems like it's been a lot of near misses this summer.  My PWS only recorded 0.9" but I'm sure it was more given how heavy the rain was initially.  It put down 1.5 to 2" into my 14' diameter pool.

EDIT:  Forgot to clean out the gauge after getting back from the beach, so it was clogged with debris.  There was still water sitting in it this morning.  After pushing out the debris I registered another 0.17" of rain. LOL.  I know for sure now that my cup runneth over last night!  I think I'm going to do bowl strainer trick by taking off the handle and letting it sit in the cup.

Really nice morning. Temp at the house is 71 breezy with lowering humidity. Going to be a great day. In years past, I would have thought this was the first signs of fall. But with all the cool spells this summer I just don't know. I suppose we'll have to wait until the first days with dew points in the 40s to really say that falls pattern is taking over.

Yes, it was a good one. Finally got under the sweet spot. Seems like it's been a lot of near misses this summer.  My PWS only recorded 0.9" but I'm sure it was more given how heavy the rain was initially.  It put down 1.5 to 2" into my 14' diameter pool.

EDIT:  Forgot to clean out the gauge after getting back from the beach, so it was clogged with debris.  There was still water sitting in it this morning.  After pushing out the debris I registered another 0.17" of rain. LOL.  I know for sure now that my cup runneth over last night!  I think I'm going to do bowl strainer trick by taking off the handle and letting it sit in the cupended up with 1.96'' total after 35 minutes.

Ended up with 1.96'' in 35 minutes.That storm tracked perfectly for a huge dumping,first one all year.

Updated for August so far. It looks like we will threaten 90 again toward the end of the week into early Sept. per the current modeling.

xfqpz4.gif

Won't be long until we bid fond farewell to 90s or the threat of 90s for good. Today is an absolute gorgeous day. For late August, you'd be hard pressed to find a better day than a day like today!

Archived