joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking/twisting it to get open. Slimy stuff flying everywhere. Giant stinky mess when done. The taste is fine and I eat it on occasion but give me mahi-mahi or orange roughy or shrimp

Could always go the route of the lazy man lobster. A lot of restaurants will do all that work for you and leave you a plate with just the meat.

Cracking/twisting it to get open. Slimy stuff flying everywhere. Giant stinky mess when done. The taste is fine and I eat it on occasion but give me mahi-mahi or orange roughy or shrimp

Eh, That's all part of the experience, I don't even use a bib to eat them as i have done it for years and their are ways to crack and eat one without creating a total mess, I guess myself being raised around it don't see it that way, I find eating a rack of ribs worst then a lobster

Tried to find something interesting weatherwise to throw in with this post so I could comment on Mahi Mahi and not let this become pure banter but meh, there really isn't anything...  GOA low incoming, with current wavelengths should translate into weak troughing, or light NW flow on the lee side... great.

Love Mahi Mahi and willing to travel to get it off the boat.  Take it over lobster or any other shellfish all day long. 

Same here. Big sea bugs.

That's commonly how lobstermen in Maine refer to the critters. Or spiders. They're all arthropods.  I love lobster though not its price, but I always remember they're 2nd cousin to blackflies.

Looks like no real heat for August's first ten days, at least from the current viewpoint.  After that my avg temp begins to slide about 0.25F per day thru the end of the month, then picks up speed for the long dive into winter.

Eh, That's all part of the experience, I don't even use a bib to eat them as i have done it for years and their are ways to crack and eat one without creating a total mess, I guess myself being raised around it don't see it that way, I find eating a rack of ribs worst then a lobster

Lobster and ribs both rock.

Soft-shelled lobsters suck come cracking time though.

holy crap Lake Michigan is still cold as heck

http://blogs.woodtv.com/2014/07/31/lake-michigan-upwelling/

That is crazy. Reading that blog, the water temp went from 64F to 39F in less than 24 hours.

So if you are vacationing there, your kids go swimming one day and it's almost mid-60s, then the next day they die of hypothermia?

"I had to ask twice “are you sure, 41°? The buoy west of Muskegon showed a water temp. of 43° (as I write this near midnight, the water temp. at the buoy was back to 47°) and the last I checked, the water intake temperature at S. Haven was 45°. The graph in the middle is the water temperature at the buoy west of Ludington. Wow! The water temperature dropped from 63.6° to at least 39° in less than 24 hours."

That is crazy. Reading that blog, the water temp went from 64F to 39F in less than 24 hours.

So if you are vacationing there, your kids go swimming one day and it's almost mid-60s, then the next day they die of hypothermia?

"I had to ask twice “are you sure, 41°? The buoy west of Muskegon showed a water temp. of 43° (as I write this near midnight, the water temp. at the buoy was back to 47°) and the last I checked, the water intake temperature at S. Haven was 45°. The graph in the middle is the water temperature at the buoy west of Ludington. Wow! The water temperature dropped from 63.6° to at least 39° in less than 24 hours."

I'd guess that winds or currents brought some upwelling from beneath the thermocline.  Temps beneath tend to hold near 40 all thru the summer, with (usually) very little mixing with the warmer water found within 20-40 feet of the surface.

Lobster rolls baby.

soaked in Land o Lakes butter

Sorry for adding to the banter....

I like them either way...I think the butter way is a SE CT/RI shore specialty.  They're better than working to get little bites from the shell and having to work for your next bite.  You guys are making me want to take a trip to the coast for seafood!

This. I do love the lazy man's lobster and lobster bisque and lobster rolls.. Yum.  I can take or leave a whole steamed lobster, not that exciting for me.

When I was living in FL we decided to make lobster rolls for a special occasion.  Got a couple pounds of frozen claws for about $30 from the freezer section and got them home.  They were tiny, dehydrated, and green/brownish, like they had been unfrozen for a long time at some point, ugh.  Fortunately being frozen kept whatever awful smell they'd probably have had from releasing.

We used to go to this all you can eat lobster buffet in Port Jervis. It was about $50 a head but well worth it. They gave out the lobsters whole and were typcially 1.5-2 pounders. Sometimes larger. I ate 15 once in a single seating.

I had a friend do similar when we went to an all you can eat buffet featuring peel and eat shrimp.  His pile of spent shells was like Mt. Fuji.  Of course he's a big man at 300#+

I had a friend do similar when we went to an all you can eat buffet featuring peel and eat shrimp.  His pile of spent shells was like Mt. Fuji.  Of course he's a big man at 300#+

I'm not a big man personally. I just love seafood. They have plenty of other items on the menu. That day I made a point to eat nothing but the lobster. Also, if you can do without butter or with less butter you won't get full as fast and will be less likely to get sick.

I think we get one heat-wave-ish spell in a couple of weeks...

I wouldn't mind one like 4-day stretch of heat and humidity...just enough to make the cooler weather feel refreshing again. I don't mind the heat once in a while for a change of pace...just not a fan of like last July when it was humid and hot like every day.

Possibly.  Like I posted in the other thread, each passing day is statistically more challenging to bring heat than the one prior.

Tick-tock, tick-tock....

74.0/63

August 1st is the summer equivalent of February 1st. 1/3 of summer still left.

I was wandering around in your regional forum looking for a couple of people to give them a reminder of contest deadlines (Damage and cpick79 be their names) ...

and just reading your discussion, seems to me that a few summers crank up heat after mid-August after very little earlier on. One such year was 1948. It might be the only strong example, off the top of my head I can't think of another one, a few years with bland summers and warm Septembers like 1961.

Don't have any recall of summers since 1996 as that's when we moved west, other than the odd stat and the past few because of this forum mainly. So there might be a good example more recently. But mid to late August of1948 had a real scorcher of a heat wave after running quite cool in June and July, at least in the Gt Lks region.

Archived