joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early discussion Winter 2014/15

SACRUS

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urban snowfall lasts for the duration of the event, then 24 hours later, you're left with blackened, charcoal piles and salty sidewalks. If only no one invented the plow. Would be great to travel by snowshoe and dog sled.

This is absolutely true in NYC. When I was a kid, I used to want to live in Western NY, for huge lake snows.

This is absolutely true in NYC. When I was a kid, I used to want to live in Western NY, for huge lake snows.

I could never live in the city. I couldn't live in any of the densley populated areas of northeast NJ either. I need my space and my quiet, and yes, the snow in my yard is still mostly white until that first warm day where everything suddenly turns into mud.

It's pretty suburban. Obviously there's a main road which is more populated than most "rural" NJ towns..but the actual residences and homes are very suburban. It's also 30 seconds away from the Watchung mountains. Things become much more rural just over those hills. 

That's Essex County right? It's odd because you don't think of that area as being rural but you're definitly close to the mountains there.

Lol at the panic in the NE forums because of a warm November forecast. Many of the snow years featured a warm November coupled with a weak El Nino so there's no need for panic. The Euro monthlies also showed a warm November before gradually turning colder. We're still weeks away from truly knowing how the winter will play out and the panic button isn't necessary unless it's mid December and warmth continues to be a constant. 

Lol at the panic in the NE forums because of a warm November forecast. Many of the snow years featured a warm November coupled with a weak El Nino so there's no need for panic. The Euro monthlies also showed a warm November before gradually turning colder. We're still weeks away from truly knowing how the winter will play out and the panic button isn't necessary unless it's mid December and warmth continues to be a constant. 

You have to understand that it's a totally different mindset up there alltogether. They think of November primarily as a winter month while for most of us November is still very much Autumn and the chances of snow are low. Some of the northern New England posters are used to deep snowcover by Thanksgiving so the prospect of a warm November isn't sexy. Warm Novembers however have not been shown to negatively impact snow chances during true Winter.

Nah its Western Union. This is the main road that intersects the town

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_Plains,_New_Jersey

Martine_Ave.JPG

Ah okay, I'm not that familiar with the area. Looks like a nice place to grow up and very similar to my hometown. I know you're origionally from Brooklyn, big difference.

Ah okay, I'm not that familiar with the area. Looks like a nice place to grow up and very similar to my hometown. I know you're origionally from Brooklyn, big difference.

Difference is huge. I'm really lucky to have grown up in Scotch Plains. I have a group of really close friends that have become family from there. So even though I've moved to Hoboken, that will always be my "home". 

You have to understand that it's a totally different mindset up there alltogether. They think of November primarily as a winter month while for most of us November is still very much Autumn and the chances of snow are low. Some of the northern New England posters are used to deep snowcover by Thanksgiving so the prospect of a warm November isn't sexy. Warm Novembers however have not been shown to negatively impact snow chances during true Winter.

A lot of those posters are from CT, RI and MA and many live closer to the coast so even for them November isn't really a winter month. Once you get north of that then sure yeah it matters but the differences between us and SNE especially those closer to the coast is not terribly different in November and snow chances are still fairly low even for them. 

Many places reported double digit totals. Central Park got a 12.5". A couple inches included on the backend.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormEvents/storm02132014.html

I had 7.5", the most torturous 7.5" snow event I can remember. I was thrilled to finally see the storm go. It's one that I had great expectations for, but for my local area only it seemed, it went to complete trash after about an hour of the crazy heavy snow. It let up for a few minutes, and that was all it took for the warm air to surge in and change it all to slop.

I had 7.5", the most torturous 7.5" snow event I can remember. I was thrilled to finally see the storm go. It's one that I had great expectations for, but for my local area only it seemed, it went to complete trash after about an hour of the crazy heavy snow. It let up for a few minutes, and that was all it took for the warm air to surge in and change it all to slop.

Yes...that storm was the key ingredient in bringing about that very unusual snow cover gradient between the N. & S. Shores in late February 2014....

Archived