SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NWS really dropped the ball on the Revere tornado. TDS appears at 934A... warning issued at 944A. 

Probably wouldn't have gotten much (if any) lead time but still... gotta get that warning out faster.

TDS? or TVS? That seems pretty far away to see debris.

The NWS really dropped the ball on the Revere tornado. TDS appears at 934A... warning issued at 944A.

Probably wouldn't have gotten much (if any) lead time but still... gotta get that warning out faster.

This is a perfect example of the extreme difficulty of warning storms... And its why the NWS' training only uses borderline events during simulations. Those storms out west yesterday had impressive rotations, but no warnings, and never produced. This storm had a marginal rotation until bam, high tornado for one scan. The way to fix this problem is to get faster radar scans, the NWS guys are doing their best with what they have. This kind of storm is the absolute nightmare scenario for anyone. Could you have predicted a tornado the scan before? Sorry if I'm a bit forceful, I just did a huge project on warning systems and learned tons about this kind of event from interviews. I wouldn't want to deal with this kind of stuff, too much pressure.

EDIT: The average warning issuance time is 30 seconds for a trained warning forecaster, gotta have time to check the scan and the make the warning. Its not easy under pressure.

Was outside at South Station when that cell went over BOS...it was almost like a tropical storm really. Prob 40mph wind gusts with rain so heavy, it was like a waterfall out of the sky for a few minutes.

I guess it was quite a bit windier just to the north. :lol:

HRRR pretty robust with SB and ML Cape values later this afternoon, especially from like HFD on east.  

Even just looking at the high res models and near-term trends, you'd have to expect a narrow area of decent heating to 80+ from north-central Connecticut into portions of central Mass. There could be a few discrete cells or a broken line forming INVOF I-91 by mid to late afternoon. The low levels winds are really backed up near the NE Mass./SE NH border, so if they can recover, it could be game on (again?) up there too.

Here's the video.

The first 5-6 min is looking at first wall cloud we saw...then around 7-8 min is watching the leading edge of the rain come at us.  

Around 11:30-12:00 is just about when we see the second rotating wall cloud...was looking pretty impressive and we thought it was going to produce a funnel...there was a brief time where it looked but as I was going nuts over it, it sort of backed off it a bit.

Nice work, Paul. Kudos for having the video camera ready to go. That rotating wall cloud was a really cool structure to see. Not sure what to make of the rope-looking feature, but overall there were multiple aspects of that storm that had clear rotation.

Even just looking at the high res models and near-term trends, you'd have to expect a narrow area of decent heating to 80+ from north-central Connecticut into portions of central Mass. There could be a few discrete cells or a broken line forming INVOF I-91 by mid to late afternoon. The low levels winds are really backed up near the NE Mass./SE NH border, so if they can recover, it could be game on (again?) up there too.

Nice work, Paul. Kudos for having the video camera ready to go. That rotating wall cloud was a really cool structure to see. Not sure what to make of the rope-looking feature, but overall there were multiple aspects of that storm that had clear rotation.

My train got delayed from Springfield...so I did get to see the hail that hit town...it wasn't all that big at the station, maybe dime sized or a bit smaller. But the storm looked pretty good...I figured you guys went after it...esp considering the rotation it had right before you dropped me off. Tons of close CG strikes too in that storm from where I was.

That TDS is amazing. That far from BOX, what a tool dual-pol is. That tornado must've touched down before the tight couplet, because the debris was already in the air by then.

I don't know how true this is, but a weather watcher who seems to be reliable reported what he saw as leaves in the air for hundreds of feet and what seemed to be birds thrown down in Needham heights. That was also an area of tighter rotation..but I didn't see if there was any debris sig..etc.

Archived