joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 8-10 2014 storms

yoda

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those pre rain gusts were pretty sweet, my front yard is littered with smaller branches and we heard what sounded very much like a transformer in the distance, definitely more impressive then last week here in columbia

Strongest wind I've seen in a LONG time...maybe since Sandy?  Probably ~50mph.  Can see a big (10ft?) piece of tree hanging by a thread in the woods behind my house. 

The strongest winds here were before the rain started...definitely significantly stronger than Sandy and Irene here. I wasn't home to watch the derecho, but this was on par with 6/08 which I witnessed in Potomac, MD. 

The outage map shows the concentration of outages in my zip code and Potomac, MD's zip code so far. 

Wow, good stuff. Just like the derecho, I could hear the gust front coming through the trees like a slow bulldozer coming though. The first gust was 39mph on the station but likely a bit higher in the treetops. The second gust was a little weaker; trees that had just been stresses started making cracking noises, but none came down that I could see.

That was a sizable event in old town Rockville. 39.6 mph on my station. A topped poplar in the neighbors back yard, a squirrel or hawk nest is wrapped around my gutter, and a piece of  6 x 4 1/2" plywood with 2 bricks on it blew off the wood pile. 

Archived