Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Rare video of two gustnadoes/waterspouts crossing the Mississippi River

BeauDodson

July 1, 2014:

I uploaded this video that was sent to me from Adam Felts.  Adam works on a barge.  The video was shot around 6 pm - July 1, 2014

Radar clearly showed an area of rotation that moved out of southeast Missouri across the Mississippi River into western Kentucky.  This is near Columbus, Kentucky - on the Mississippi River.

The rotation on radar continued from Hickman County, Kentucky into Carlisle and Graves County, Kentucky.  I don't believe I have seen too many videos like this.

It makes one wonder how many small gustnadoes (in this case some may call it a waterspout) occur.  It is the belief of some that they are a lot more common than we realize.  They can last seconds to a few minutes.  They can occasionally be strong enough to destroy mobile homes (and cause other damage).

Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7bPv1nZPXw

Here is a radar image - this is actually a few minutes after the video was taken.  The rotation has moved about 5-8 miles from where the video was taken.  The storm exhibited rotation for quite awhile.  You can see the Mississippi River near Columbus, Kentucky.  The storm has entered Carlisle County, Kentucky on this radar scan.

post-77-0-50459300-1404281516_thumb.jpg

Archived