joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2014 Banter Thread

mattie g

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone help me out please. What the heck is corn fuel? I get what it means from context but what's the origin of the expression? I've been meaning to ask this for literally years. By now it's embarrassing. 

Also, speaking of random stuff I've been meaning to ask - what is the deal with Woody! Been reading AFD for ages and can recognize his prose style in like three words. Is there Woody! lore that we know of? Who is the man behind the exclamation point?

Anyway...hope all are having a good summer. The cool shots have been easy to like.

the ethanol that is put into gasoline for cars is mostly made from corn.  Some people have tried to directly blame the exhaust from cars as the reason for weather events that don't materialize in or around the beltway for DC.  The origin for it comes from that and many of us using the excuse for any and all weather in a mostly joking manner.  AFAIK there has been zero studies done to try and investigate what the causes are for snow and storms to go poof. 

the ethanol that is put into gasoline for cars is mostly made from corn.  Some people have tried to directly blame the exhaust from cars as the reason for weather events that don't materialize in or around the beltway for DC.  The origin for it comes from that and many of us using the excuse for any and all weather in a mostly joking manner.  AFAIK there has been zero studies done to try and investigate what the causes are for snow and storms to go poof. 

Ethanol! Thanks for clearing that up. I figured it had to do with traffic but was not putting that together. Theory sounds pretty iffy...but yeah, handy scapegoat for anything that goes wrong.  :lol:

Yea I was thinking that too, we have plenty of the cherry variety but the beefsteak cultivars aren't coming along as well.

I hear ya.  My Brandywines are having a tougher time this year than my other varieties.  I don't know why that is, but there's no question about it - they aren't growing as vigorously, nor are they producing tomatoes like the others are.  I have Amish Paste, Rose de Berne, and Jersey Devil that are 8'-10' tall and have tons of tomatoes on them, while my Brandywines are barely 6' tall with only a few tomatoes (albeit big ones) on them.  My Black Krim also slowed down considerably once it hit about 6' and had a bunch of tomatoes on it.  Something tells me they may take off once I harvest all the tomatoes and their energy can go to producing once again.

Considering some of the highest ethonal use is in the Plains it's not a very good theory. Though it could be the combo of fumes plus a rigged DCA sensor that's the problem.

I hear ya.  My Brandywines are having a tougher time this year than my other varieties.  I don't know why that is, but there's no question about it - they aren't growing as vigorously, nor are they producing tomatoes like the others are.  I have Amish Paste, Rose de Berne, and Jersey Devil that are 8'-10' tall and have tons of tomatoes on them, while my Brandywines are barely 6' tall with only a few tomatoes (albeit big ones) on them.  My Black Krim also slowed down considerably once it hit about 6' and had a bunch of tomatoes on it.  Something tells me they may take off once I harvest all the tomatoes and their energy can go to producing once again.

My supersweet 100 got so tall it collapsed the dual tomato cage I had set up.  I'm going to have to build a superstructure next year to keep it under control.  The others seem to be doing ok, but nothing ripened yet.  Bought a different variety of cucumber this year and it has been producing, but looks like it is about to kick off.  Not sure what went wrong. 

I've been away a lot during July but have kept up by reading here. Personally, it has been an exciting weather month for my girlfriend and me. We got to Acadia NP just in time to camp in the remnants of Arthur, and then off to Hawaii in time for 6" of overnight rain and rare summer thunderstorms from Wali. In between has brought great weather and plenty of adventures including yesterday's trek up the Haiku Stairs. Teaching has its moments. Here are a couple of cell phone pics from yesterday. Hopefully any long term heat continues holding off when we return early next week.

post-1326-0-78310700-1406227455_thumb.jppost-1326-0-40853800-1406227356_thumb.jp

If anyone's ever seen a mayfly hatch you totally understand how they can be picked up on radar. When they hatch, it's incredible how many there are.

http://www.wtop.com/884/3669743/Weather-radar-captures-swarm-of-flies

As someone who has done a lot if fly fishing, I can absolutely understand.

The Green Drake hatch on Penns Creek in Central PA is unreal.

To respond to Ian's twitter question about terrible movies with buzz - how could you forget about Snakes on a Plane!

We need a twitter name thread. I don't know who any of you are other than screen names here in a lot of cases. ;)

To respond to Ian's twitter question about terrible movies with buzz - how could you forget about Snakes on a Plane!

So, sharknado had sharks on a plane, subway train, in a tunnel and on a boat last night. It was awesome

Congrats on having mostly grass. The weeds are growing faster.

Nice!

Two years of having a lawn service has helped get it in shape, for sure. I'm going the Scott's route this year and it seems to be working. I just don't bother watering it unless there's a chance it'll get really burned out. With the intermittent rain, it's not growing much, but the temps have certainly helped keep it from frying.

Archived