joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2014 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our low only dropped to 53F. I thought there'd be 40s this morning, but I thought it would out here.  Strange too, because it was already down to 55F here at 11:30.  Awesome to see records broken and to see 40s anywhere close in July.

Edit, NOAA site shows a 50F low at KOKV at 6:15.  Usually the wxbug station is identical, but not today.

I just have to report the following observation:

Since March 2013, the weather around here has been f******g awesome (unless you're a severe weenie... sorry, Ian).

I guess it's payback for having to suffer from March 2010 through Feb 2013.  That was a 3 year nightmare..... although to be fair, Dec 2010 and stretches of winter 2013 were ok out here.

SXUS71 KLWX 301319
RERIAD

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
918 AM EDT WED JUL 30 2014

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES DC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 48 DEGREES WAS SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES
DC THIS MORNING. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 51 SET IN 1981.

$
CMEADOWS

I think I have this right - coldest July temp at IAD since 2002 and the coldest for the 2nd half of the month since 1985.

Yep. Legit. Dulles* records are never good enough on their own. ;)

I did dig on a match for yday.. had to go back to July 2001 to find it. 

Remarkable (though intuitive) that 80% of days in the 70s or lower in July at DCA have featured rain http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/07/30/tuesday-was-washington-d-c-s-nicest-july-day-in-over-a-decade/

Nice article, Ian.  One question... in your article you stated ..."July days with highs in the 70s or lower...."  Has there actually been a July day in DC with temps (highs) in the 60s?

Nice article, Ian.  One question... in your article you stated ..."July days with highs in the 70s or lower...."  Has there actually been a July day in DC with temps (highs) in the 60s?

11 of them.  Mostly pre-airport location, but there are some more "recent"

7/30/72 - 68

7/29/01 - 68

7/24/97 - 69

All were rainy days.

Archived