• Created
  • Last Reply

LSR from the above storm:

NWUS51 KAKQ 241255
LSRAKQ

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA
855 AM EDT THU JUL 24 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0840 AM TSTM WND DMG CHERRYSTONE 37.31N 76.00W
07/24/2014 NORTHAMPTON VA EMERGENCY MNGR

OVERTURNED RV CAMPERS AT CHERRYSTONE CAMPGROUND.
INJURIES REPORTED. POSSIBLE TORNADO.

&&

EVENT NUMBER AKQ1401207

$

DAP

LR look is looking unbelievable to close out July and begin August. Looks like a possible 5-6 day stretch of below to well below average temps. Minds will be filled with thoughts of football, first frost, and leaves changing colors. Burbs just outside of dense development may not touch 80 for a couple days with lows in the 50's. Wnwxluvr might be wearing gloves for a couple mornings...lol

Pattern looks much more stable that the previous cool shots. Prob get a return flow day or 2 in between reinforcements so wall to wall below is unlikely. But it's one heck of a look for late July/early August.

The only downside to this weather is that our tomatoes have not been very productive.  The cool nights have allowed us to get only two thus far in the season, but that is a small price to pay.

It's probably not the weather that's causing the problems.  Hot days and warm, humid nights actually slow tomato production down.  Pollen gets sticky, so pollination success is reduced, while the viability of pollen is reduced at higher temperatures, as well.  Ideal nighttime temps for tomato production is in the 60-70F range.

I heard that there may have been 3 fatalities (unconfirmed).  

All off duty rescue personnel from throughout Northampton and Accomack Counties have been asked to respond this morning for a mass casualty situation. An apparent tornado struck the Cherrystone Campground area, Cape Charles and Eastville this morning, just after 8:30.

Here are some photos from 96.5 CTG:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.667239813329708.1073741960.433171683403190&type=1

LSR from the above storm:

LR look is looking unbelievable to close out July and begin August. Looks like a possible 5-6 day stretch of below to well below average temps. Minds will be filled with thoughts of football, first frost, and leaves changing colors. Burbs just outside of dense development may not touch 80 for a couple days with lows in the 50's. Wnwxluvr might be wearing gloves for a couple mornings...lol

Pattern looks much more stable that the previous cool shots. Prob get a return flow day or 2 in between reinforcements so wall to wall below is unlikely. But it's one heck of a look for late July/early August.

my big fear is that come mid-late Sept. the pattern reverts to a summer pattern.....that will throw a monkey in the wrench

All off duty rescue personnel from throughout Northampton and Accomack Counties have been asked to respond this morning for a mass casualty situation. An apparent tornado struck the Cherrystone Campground area, Cape Charles and Eastville this morning, just after 8:30.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.667239813329708.1073741960.433171683403190&type=1

CWG asserts they are confirmed.

It's probably not the weather that's causing the problems.  Hot days and warm, humid nights actually slow tomato production down.  Pollen gets sticky, so pollination success is reduced, while the viability of pollen is reduced at higher temperatures, as well.  Ideal nighttime temps for tomato production is in the 60-70F range.

Yea I was thinking that too, we have plenty of the cherry variety but the beefsteak cultivars aren't coming along as well.

More details from a fire blog I follow:  http://www.statter911.com/2014/07/24/least-2-people-dead-tornado-hits-campground-vas-eastern-shore/ 

I know that area well and it would not surprise me if it was a waterspout that came onshore. I've often thought that the bay can act as fuel for storms in certain situations

Could be tho it was definitely a supercell tornado if there was one. Spots near the coast around here certainly seem to spin stuff up more than other places in general events.

Missed thunderstorm but this area of rain should be here in 6 hours and continue most of the day, late morning high around 80 and then rainy and cooler by afternoon.

Missed thunderstorm but this area of rain should be here in 6 hours and continue most of the day, late morning high around 80 and then rainy and cooler by afternoon.

Man almost knocked this one out of the park. Temps around 80 at noon and dropped back at most areas and protracted rain stayed just south

Archived